2020 HERO Sports top 25 Preseason

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2020 HERO Sports top 25 Preseason

Post by Cat Grad » Fri May 29, 2020 10:19 am

The Cat-Griz game is on Root Sports right now, 10:16 a.m. MDST, and there are those discussing possibilities for this year. I'd suggest rewatching that game and throwing out Hero Sports.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Fri May 29, 2020 10:25 am

I think a healthy Ifanse is the best back in the Big Sky. But I guess I respect Knights abilities more than many here, too. You don’t become a 1000 yard rusher and score 23 TDs by accident. Next closest TD total by a RB was 16. I don’t think he deserves an All American slot ahead of Ifanse but the guy can play.

I have a much bigger issue with Hauck being placed on the 1st team simply based on tackles.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri May 29, 2020 11:02 am

I think the amazing thing about Ifanse is that he gained 813 yards rushing last year and he barely played in the regular season.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri May 29, 2020 11:09 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:02 pm
Isaiah Ifanse is an amazing, powerful running back. I don't expect a national publication to pick on up that since Ifanse didn't play very many snaps last year compared to other backs and the FCS isn't set up to have its players get recognized if they don't dominate a statistical category. The most recognized players are the ones that put up the numbers. MSU has benefited from this in the past.

Gilliam, Davis and Knight are all good running backs, but none of them (few RBs anywhere) possess some of the skills Ifanse has. Ifanse has great vision, great patience and incredible power. He doesn't have blazing speed, but was able to outrace two safeties for a TD with a sizeable knee brace on.

His last five games of the season were the best string of five games by any back in the country. He faced UCD on the road and in a must-win game, No. 3 UM, then Albany, Austin Peay and NDSU in the playoffs. Aside from his skill set, he put up these numbers:
Carries - 84
Yards - 573
TDs - 6
Avg. 6.8

Receptions - 4
Yards - 41
TDs - 0
Avg. - 10.3

Attempts - 1
Completions - 1
Yards - 2
TDs - 1
Passer rating - 446.8

Blocked punts - 1 (for a safety)
This is awesome stuff. One minor point. I don’t know if Isaiah got credit for that blocked punt but he didn’t actually block it. Their punter hit his own blocker in the back with the punt after that blocker was pushed back by the Cat defender. You can clearly see it happen on the video.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri May 29, 2020 11:16 am

ibleedblue wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:25 am
I think a healthy Ifanse is the best back in the Big Sky. But I guess I respect Knights abilities more than many here, too. You don’t become a 1000 yard rusher and score 23 TDs by accident. Next closest TD total by a RB was 16. I don’t think he deserves an All American slot ahead of Ifanse but the guy can play.

I have a much bigger issue with Hauck being placed on the 1st team simply based on tackles.
Knight's good. 23 TDs is remarkable.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri May 29, 2020 11:41 am

Conference stats - Knight was 5th in rushing yards, 9th in yards per game, 4th in receiving yards (for RBs), 5th in total yards from scrimmage but 9th in yards from scrimmage per game. He was also 17th in YPC but that list includes QBs.

He is very good at finding the endzone but beyond that he is not All-American. He also had double the carries of the next two Grizs RBs combined, and had the 3rd most carries in the league and was only top 4 in TDs and receiving yards. He only had a long of 45 yard this year too, so clearly not a home-run threat.

He is a good back I'm not going to argue, but if Marcus Knight was on the Cats team last year he gets Lane Sumner's carries.

Teams had to focus on the Griz air attack, and I just don't see it being a versatile or as potent as it was with Sneed, so teams will be able to key on Knight more than last year. Knight may get 1,000 yards next year but it's gonna take 14 games to do it.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri May 29, 2020 11:57 am

CelticCat wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:41 am
Conference stats - Knight was 5th in rushing yards, 9th in yards per game, 4th in receiving yards (for RBs), 5th in total yards from scrimmage but 9th in yards from scrimmage per game. He was also 17th in YPC but that list includes QBs.

He is very good at finding the endzone but beyond that he is not All-American. He also had double the carries of the next two Grizs RBs combined, and had the 3rd most carries in the league and was only top 4 in TDs and receiving yards. He only had a long of 45 yard this year too, so clearly not a home-run threat.

He is a good back I'm not going to argue, but if Marcus Knight was on the Cats team last year he gets Lane Sumner's carries.

Teams had to focus on the Griz air attack, and I just don't see it being a versatile or as potent as it was with Sneed, so teams will be able to key on Knight more than last year. Knight may get 1,000 yards next year but it's gonna take 14 games to do it.
Great points! I agree 100%.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri May 29, 2020 12:17 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:33 am
Offensive coaches when they get asked if they have to account for Robby Hauck's impact on a game...

:lol: :lol: :lol: =D^ =D^

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Fri May 29, 2020 1:42 pm

Snead is a huge loss for city college, he was perfect for some “shootout” victories with a subpar defense. The gunslinging is entertaining, but he turned the ball over too much. In his last game he had at least 4 picks maybe 5

griz won’t win 10 games this year, which will be a step backwards according to hauck logic, because he did say they were “ a year ahead of where they wanted to be.”
!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri May 29, 2020 2:05 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:41 am

Knight averaged 73 yards rushing per game for the season. That is not All American status.

https://stats.gogriz.com/custompages/sp ... lyr_21.htm

His season high was for 148 against that “stellar” defense of Monmouth🤦‍♂️😳 when the Griz scored 47 points. He only hit 100 yards rushing 3 times in a 14 games season.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Fri May 29, 2020 3:34 pm

Sam and the Hero team aren't dumb and are well aware of the 4 straight. Sam himself witnessed last year's bludgeoning. It's a very simple game of clicks and analytics, and putting the granola bears ahead of the Cats accomplishes the goal. Later in the same evening Sam tweeted that "everybody is talking about the FCS!". It helps Hero if the FCS fans in MT are all up in a tizzy, and they usually don't have to try very hard to make it happen.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat May 30, 2020 9:38 am

Common Cat wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:19 pm
Is Kevin Thompson even a senior any more?! Is he like 25?
The article should have read, Kevin Thompson, 14 year senior..... Thought he was 27.?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat May 30, 2020 9:49 am

Darth Yoda wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 3:34 pm
Sam and the Hero team aren't dumb and are well aware of the 4 straight. Sam himself witnessed last year's bludgeoning. It's a very simple game of clicks and analytics, and putting the granola bears ahead of the Cats accomplishes the goal. Later in the same evening Sam tweeted that "everybody is talking about the FCS!". It helps Hero if the FCS fans in MT are all up in a tizzy, and they usually don't have to try very hard to make it happen.
Good point. Even a couple regular posters at egriz acknowledged that the Cats should be listed ahead of the Griz

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat May 30, 2020 11:51 am

A little dated, yet still relevant:

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sat May 30, 2020 12:21 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:51 am
A little dated, yet still relevant:
“... BC’s got better Christians.” My sides. 🤣🤣

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.