Jeff Choate - ESPN Roundtable

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Re: Jeff Choate - ESPN Roundtable

Post by catgrad05 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:46 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:24 am
Cat_gld wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:14 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:02 am
kwcat wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:43 pm
It’s really not that difficult. If someone qualifies for an academic scholarship under normal academic rules they can except in the academic scholarship and also play football. Athletic scholarships are separate. Pretty simple.
In fractions or a separate matter and if found, that scholarship would then count towards an athletic scholarship

This is an additional reason why we’ve gone off after high academic quality players as well.
I don't think this is correct, but I can't really tell what you're saying for sure. If you're saying anyone that is on an academic scholarship can play football and it won't count against the 63 football scholarship allotment, then I think that's incorrect, but I don't know, so maybe you're right.
Thanks for clearing this up!
FCS programs can award up to the equivalent of 63 full scholarships, divided among no more than 85 individuals. That works out to at least 30 players without football scholarships at all.
I think some of the confusion may come from where the money comes from. My understanding was if an athlete qualified for academic scholarships then the athletic program doesn’t have to pay, however the “scholarship” counts for the allowed amount. If you have a lot of academic scholarships you have more money to spend elsewhere in your program