Jeff Choate - ESPN Roundtable

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Jeff Choate - ESPN Roundtable

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu May 14, 2020 4:48 pm

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Jeff Choate - ESPN Roundtable

Post by AFCAT » Thu May 14, 2020 4:56 pm

Thanks, I was watching on TV and the broadcast just ended in the middle of the interview.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu May 14, 2020 8:16 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:56 pm
Thanks, I was watching on TV and the broadcast just ended in the middle of the interview.
I guess an interesting comment was Choate said he hadn't used all his scholarships the first couple years. My question is how do you get year 5 and bring 36 people in this year and not have tons of walk-ons or half partials

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun May 17, 2020 8:47 am

Montanabob wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:16 pm

I guess an interesting comment was Choate said he hadn't used all his scholarships the first couple years. My question is how do you get year 5 and bring 36 people in this year and not have tons of walk-ons or half partials
My guess would be academic scholarships.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sun May 17, 2020 10:36 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:47 am
Montanabob wrote:

I don't think it works that way with the NCAA. If someone has an academic scholarship, it counts against your 63.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun May 17, 2020 12:35 pm

seataccat wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:36 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

I don't think it works that way with the NCAA. If someone has an academic scholarship, it counts against your 63.
I believe that depends on a persons GPA, their class rank, and ACT or SAT test score. If a person scores high enough in those areas, they can combine academic and athletic scholarship money and it doesn’t all count against the athletic scholly.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

seataccat

Post by seataccat » Sun May 17, 2020 12:51 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:35 pm
seataccat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

I believe that depends on a persons GPA, their class rank, and ACT or SAT test score. If a person scores high enough in those areas, they can combine academic and athletic scholarship money and it doesn’t all count against the athletic scholly.
If that were true then UC Davis would have 150 scholarships available for their players. You cannot count someone as a walkon if you offer them an academic scholarship.

Voltaire

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun May 17, 2020 12:55 pm

The best head coaches at the FCS level all have really good calculators.

seataccat

Post by seataccat » Sun May 17, 2020 1:01 pm

seataccat wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:51 pm
AFCAT wrote:
seataccat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

If that were true then UC Davis would have 150 scholarships available for their players. You cannot count someone as a walkon if you offer them an academic scholarship.
Wow, I just read up. I stand corrected. Thanks AFCat.

Voltaire

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun May 17, 2020 5:23 pm

AFCAT wrote:
seataccat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

I did not know that. I’ve been telling people the wrong thing for years.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun May 17, 2020 8:31 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:23 pm
AFCAT wrote:
seataccat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

Ol “Fake News Stuber” strikes again.

;)

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon May 18, 2020 9:26 am

TomCat88 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
seataccat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

You are correct for FBS, which I think is where the confusion lies. FCS has different rules. I had no idea until a year or two ago. Seems like Choate takes good advantage of it.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon May 18, 2020 10:41 am

TomCat88 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
seataccat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

I'm often confused on the issue too, because alot of usually knowledgeable posters here, post contradicting information.
But if you think about it, it would create a huge loophole for teams to get around the 63 scholarship limit if you had 20 or 30 guys on an academic scholarship on the team. So it surely must be the case that an academic scholly counts toward the 63. Right??

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:00 am

I was told by a previous coach that any fraction of an athlete's scholarship was counted toward the total number. That was quite a while ago, so things have probably changed or I misunderstood him. He said it was very difficult to explain, so he gave me a Reader's Digest version of how it works, so it could be that's it always been as AFCAT says and I just didn't have all the details. Pell Grants, last I heard, do not count toward scholarships, which is part of the reason it doesn't seem logical that MSU has as many "scholarship-type" players as they do. Hard to wrap your head around, I guess.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:35 am

All it would take to get to the bottom of this, is to download the 1000's of pages of NCAA rules, and give us an answer.

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Mon May 18, 2020 12:02 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:35 am
All it would take to get to the bottom of this, is to download the 1000's of pages of NCAA rules, and give us an answer.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon May 18, 2020 9:43 pm

It’s really not that difficult. If someone qualifies for an academic scholarship under normal academic rules they can except in the academic scholarship and also play football. Athletic scholarships are separate. Pretty simple.
In fractions or a separate matter and if found, that scholarship would then count towards an athletic scholarship

This is an additional reason why we’ve gone off after high academic quality players as well.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue May 19, 2020 8:02 am

kwcat wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:43 pm
It’s really not that difficult. If someone qualifies for an academic scholarship under normal academic rules they can except in the academic scholarship and also play football. Athletic scholarships are separate. Pretty simple.
In fractions or a separate matter and if found, that scholarship would then count towards an athletic scholarship

This is an additional reason why we’ve gone off after high academic quality players as well.
I don't think this is correct, but I can't really tell what you're saying for sure. If you're saying anyone that is on an academic scholarship can play football and it won't count against the 63 football scholarship allotment, then I think that's incorrect, but I don't know, so maybe you're right.

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat_gld » Tue May 19, 2020 9:14 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:02 am
kwcat wrote:

I don't think this is correct, but I can't really tell what you're saying for sure. If you're saying anyone that is on an academic scholarship can play football and it won't count against the 63 football scholarship allotment, then I think that's incorrect, but I don't know, so maybe you're right.
Thanks for clearing this up!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Tue May 19, 2020 9:24 am

Cat_gld wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:14 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:02 am
kwcat wrote:

Thanks for clearing this up!
FCS programs can award up to the equivalent of 63 full scholarships, divided among no more than 85 individuals. That works out to at least 30 players without football scholarships at all.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back