Carter Ash commits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Carter Ash commits

Post by Hawks86 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:07 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Carter Ash commits

Post by Hawks86 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:08 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu May 14, 2020 9:16 am

Is he related to Rob Ash?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu May 14, 2020 11:25 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:16 am
No. Rob's two kids have both long since graduated from high school.

I've never seen Carter play but I can't disagree with the idea of having a Bozeman-native walkon on the roster to keep building support for the MSU program among the local community!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri May 15, 2020 7:22 am

MSU01 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:25 am
iaafan wrote:

I've never seen Carter play but I can't disagree with the idea of having a Bozeman-native walkon on the roster to keep building support for the MSU program among the local community!
I was thinking a grandson. Ash reminds me of Casey Durham coming out of high school. Not so much because of their style, but their team play and effectiveness.

KIX
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by KIX » Tue May 19, 2020 9:46 am

MSU01 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Realistically, will these walk-ons ever see court time? It's great to see them walk-on, being MT kids, but with the recruits Sprinkle has/is lining up for the program, hard to see these guys (Ash, Owens, Gundlach, etc..) getting any court time other than a possible game blow-out.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Tue May 19, 2020 10:03 am

Just saw on the ESPN documentary that Scottie Pippen started out as the equipment manager on his college team. So they’re getting a chance to achieve their dream. I think it’s an awesome opportunity!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue May 19, 2020 11:28 am

KIX wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:46 am
MSU01 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Realistically, will these walk-ons ever see court time? It's great to see them walk-on, being MT kids, but with the recruits Sprinkle has/is lining up for the program, hard to see these guys (Ash, Owens, Gundlach, etc..) getting any court time other than a possible game blow-out.
I think it is awesome that Sprinkle will invite a kid to walk on. Regardless if he never sees the court, what does it hurt? Provides an extra body at practice and I am sure a local kid can help out of staters adjust to Bozeman. Seems like a great idea to me!

KIX
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by KIX » Tue May 19, 2020 3:56 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:28 am
KIX wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

I think it is awesome that Sprinkle will invite a kid to walk on. Regardless if he never sees the court, what does it hurt? Provides an extra body at practice and I am sure a local kid can help out of staters adjust to Bozeman. Seems like a great idea to me!
Agreed...guess it is up to the individual kid, then, to be a practice body, team supporter and ride the pine or play competitive minutes at a lower level.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed May 20, 2020 9:57 am

KIX wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:56 pm
Cataholic wrote:
KIX wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Agreed...guess it is up to the individual kid, then, to be a practice body, team supporter and ride the pine or play competitive minutes at a lower level.
I highly doubt that's how any of these kids look at it. If they are walking on to be a practice body, team supporter and ride the pine that would be a terrible mindset, and one that I'm 100% positive they don't have.

They have all worked their butts off to even have the opportunity. Every person I have ever known that plays sports has dreams of one day playing division one. These kids are getting this opportunity. They might work their way right into an important role with this team over the next few years. They may in fact end up just being a practice body. Time will tell. Worst case scenario, if they don't like their role, they can THEN decide to go down a level. But there is no way any of them already assume this is what's going to happen.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed May 20, 2020 10:05 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:57 am
KIX wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
KIX wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

I highly doubt that's how any of these kids look at it. If they are walking on to be a practice body, team supporter and ride the pine that would be a terrible mindset, and one that I'm 100% positive they don't have.

They have all worked their butts off to even have the opportunity. Every person I have ever known that plays sports has dreams of one day playing division one. These kids are getting this opportunity. They might work their way right into an important role with this team over the next few years. They may in fact end up just being a practice body. Time will tell. Worst case scenario, if they don't like their role, they can THEN decide to go down a level. But there is no way any of them already assume this is what's going to happen.
Kids that say they want to play D1 ball are happy to play at Big Sky-type schools. I always love that line. No one going to Duke, Kentucky, Kansas ever says they want to play D1 ball. They say they want to play big time college basketball. Sorry for getting off topic.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed May 20, 2020 10:27 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:05 am
ilovethecats wrote:
KIX wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
KIX wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Kids that say they want to play D1 ball are happy to play at Big Sky-type schools. I always love that line. No one going to Duke, Kentucky, Kansas ever says they want to play D1 ball. They say they want to play big time college basketball. Sorry for getting off topic.
Ya I suppose. :-k

Doesn't really take away the accomplishments of any kid playing D1 ball. Of course there is always going to be tiers. There are 7th graders out here right now that know they'll be playing for Duke or Kentucky. Their aspirations are likely higher than college in general. But just because you're not playing for a Blue Blood doesn't take anything away from being a division one basketball player.

Unless I'm missing what you're saying? I just don't see how it matters. That's like saying kids that want to just play college ball are happy playing NAIA. But the ones better than that say they want to play division one...

No one is suggesting all these kids are the same. That said, a huge amount of work goes into playing any level of college ball, and especially D1.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed May 20, 2020 12:20 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:27 am
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
KIX wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
KIX wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Doesn't really take away the accomplishments of any kid playing D1 ball. Of course there is always going to be tiers. There are 7th graders out here right now that know they'll be playing for Duke or Kentucky. Their aspirations are likely higher than college in general. But just because you're not playing for a Blue Blood doesn't take anything away from being a division one basketball player.

Unless I'm missing what you're saying? I just don't see how it matters. That's like saying kids that want to just play college ball are happy playing NAIA. But the ones better than that say they want to play division one...

No one is suggesting all these kids are the same. That said, a huge amount of work goes into playing any level of college ball, and especially D1.
It doesn't take away from playing D1 or anything. The pet peeve for me is I know people who point out that they played D1 ball when someone says they played Frontier ball. As if they're more similar to someone who played for Duke than they are to someone who played for Carroll College. Same people think that ex-Frontier players shouldn't be coaching at MSU, but Choate, Armstrong, Robertson are putting an end to that. When we were struggling, they'd be like "you can't win with a bunch of Frontier guys, etc." So every time I hear someone say "D1 ball" I just cringe. Some Frontier players were good enough to play in the Big Sky, but went the Frontier route because they figured they'd get more playing time.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed May 20, 2020 1:54 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:20 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:27 am
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
KIX wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
KIX wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

It doesn't take away from playing D1 or anything. The pet peeve for me is I know people who point out that they played D1 ball when someone says they played Frontier ball. As if they're more similar to someone who played for Duke than they are to someone who played for Carroll College. Same people think that ex-Frontier players shouldn't be coaching at MSU, but Choate, Armstrong, Robertson are putting an end to that. When we were struggling, they'd be like "you can't win with a bunch of Frontier guys, etc." So every time I hear someone say "D1 ball" I just cringe. Some Frontier players were good enough to play in the Big Sky, but went the Frontier route because they figured they'd get more playing time.
Ah I see. Thanks.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:49 pm

Congrats Carter! Comes from an awesome family. Excited to see him follow his dreams.