Schweyen out at Montana

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Schweyen out at Montana

Post by iaafan » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:07 am

imacat wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:56 pm
Disclaimer: I do not follow um athletics closely. I am observing this process from an outsider perspective.

That said, it would be hard to see how Kent Haslam could have handled the public relations aspect of this situation any poorer. In making any controversial decision it is important to get out in front and control the narrative. Instead, the news was broken by Schweyen. Haslam remained silent for three weeks.

It is also important to recognize the accomplishments of the fired coach and to publicly thank her for the work she put in. Haslam did not do this. In the zoom conference, where he officially broke the news, it took reporter prompting to get Haslam to say anything positive about Schweyen.

He had ample opportunity to prepare an opening statement that may have begun a healing process but chose not to do so. I know if I was a Schweyen fan, the news conference would have done nothing but inflame my anger.
Haslam could find himself on the hot seat over this and won't be because her fired Schweyen, but how he handled it. If Hauck has a bad season this year with no playoffs and/or another home loss to the Bobcats, or heaven-forbid any players getting in legal jams, I think it's all over for him.

hokeyfine
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by hokeyfine » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:15 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:07 am
by iaafan » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:07 am
i get the feeling the Hauck is in a whole different category in the athletic department. Griz fans get a huge boner when Haucks name is mentioned. I think he gets a lot of pass within the department and so when he loses to the cats at home this year he won't be in any danger of getting fired. Hauck is riding the coattails of his past and his followers love his bashing of the cats.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:35 am

mslacat wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:45 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:39 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:30 pm
imacat wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:54 pm
Sounds like the instate recruits are not changing their plans.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 97310.html
Kyndal Keller, Karsen Murphy and Willa Albrecht already signed in the fall so they can't change plans until at least semester even if they wanted to. None had any other D-I offers. L'Tia Lawrence decommitted from MSU-Northern literally the day before Shannon was fired. She will sign this month but also had no other D-I offers. Dani Bartsch, who's twin sister Paige is the best volleyball player in the state and committed to Boise State, said she still intends to sign in the fall. That will be the one UM has to fight to hold on to.
Yet during the tournament, Redpath couldn't stop commenting on the fact that MSU only had one Montana kid on their roster. I would rather pick the right Montana kids vs. just flooding a roster just to say you're winning the in-state battle. I trust Coach Bin in this process!
There was a time about ten years ago when you could stock your team with 100% all Montana Players and destroy the league. That was when Redpath was a player. I remember one year the Griz's entire roster was Montana players and they dominated the Big Sky! That year their Bobcats had 6-7 Montana players themselves on their roster. These are not those times anymore. I would be if you took every current Montana women's D-1 players from across the nation and put them on a Big Sky team you would have a team no better than the Griz this year, if lucky. Just like in the men's game the number of D-1 Montana basketball players have twiddled. There are still 2 or 3 D-1 women's players every year but nothing like to 80's. 90's and early 00's when colleges would sign 5, 6 or 7 who signed D-1 LOI. Binford now has the luxury of being selective with her recruiting. She is getting recruits committing 1 to 2 years in advance. The Griz signed 5 or 6 Montana Women this year, but ignored a couple very good looking legacy prospects that the Bobcats snatched up. I will say this, there were a couple Griz signees whom Binford was interested in and a couple that she was not at all. Binford recruits players who can run the floor, and shoot. If she thinks a player will slow down the team she has very little interested, so she is picky to a degree. Another thing I have noticed about Binford , for good or bad,is that she will shy away from player that have injury problems. Now if a player, commits or signs with the Bobcats and then gets injured (IE Kola Bad Bear and others) She supports them 100%. She has over looked a few Montana players she thought were injury prone and taken some heat for it! She was usually right though.

The Ladygriz program is riding on Robin Selvig's legacy but high school players are a fickle bunch in a few years time none of the Montana High school players will really care where Selvig coached, they are going to be looking at who is winning the Big Sky conference now. Who is that revered college coach in Montana. The coach is going to be Binford and the go to program is gong to be the Bobcats. The last 4 years the Lady Griz have pissed away a lot of their moxie and are on the verge of being know as the other D-1 team in Montana and that scares them to death. That is why the coaching change, they are trying to hold on to something REALLY REALLY special, but they can see it slipping through their fingers,

BTW regardless of whether they have signed a LOI I practically guarantee that if any other Griz recruits wanted out of the LOI, they would have been give a release. I believe them when they say they still want join the program. The Athletic Department was so wise to hire Petrino as the interim coach. It was enough to hold the program together, and plus he is a great national recruiter. Petrino though has to worry about the wheels coming off before he even gets a chance to coach game 1. A lot of talent has left the program and it will be all he can do to fill roster gaps, fortunately he has 15 scholarships to work with.
Sums it up perfectly.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:47 am

hokeyfine wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:15 am
iaafan wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:07 am
by iaafan » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:07 am
i get the feeling the Hauck is in a whole different category in the athletic department. Griz fans get a huge boner when Haucks name is mentioned. I think he gets a lot of pass within the department and so when he loses to the cats at home this year he won't be in any danger of getting fired. Hauck is riding the coattails of his past and his followers love his bashing of the cats.
Yeah, I guess Haslam would have to fire Hauck, which in turn would get him fired. What does Haslam do though? I mean he's catching hell for firing Schweyen, who was under performing, which many great players do (remember Bart Starr coaching the Packers, Magic Johnson coaching the Lakers).

Haslam's in a pickle. Hauck is OK for now, but you can't tell me fans won't eventually get tired of him. The last two losses to MSU have been the worst two losses for UM in the history of the rivalry. Hauck doesn't seem like the same coach he was 15 years ago. His energy is lower. He also doesn't have weak conference to bully around. I think the fans that like are enamored of him, but I also think there's a silent group of fans that will sour on him if things don't go well in Missoula this year.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:53 am

Back to Schweyen: seems like Haslam doesn't want to say why he fired her. I get the feeling something else happened.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:10 am

Sad... her results weren’t up to expectations. Players were rebelling over the not favorable culture In the program. I think the AD made the right decision, but if you look at Shannon’s recent comments, it looks like the bad decision was made when he hired her. She seems like she’s entitled to the position. Let’s be honest, the Bobcats own her!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:37 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:53 am
Back to Schweyen: seems like Haslam doesn't want to say why he fired her. I get the feeling something else happened.
There has been rumblings about Schweyen getting getting in a little hot water with the AD over the past 2-3 year over off the court situations. I know a few people on this board have also heard them, because we have exchanged emails. That said neither me nor a few media folks have been able differentiate what is true and what is just rumor, so have kept it to ourselves. At some point you see enough smoke in the distance that you know there is a fire you are just not sure if it is your house or your neighbors house.

Haslam was/is/will be a Kobayashi Maru situation for a long time. Shannon is one of the most revered beloved players in Grizzly basketball men or women program. I do not think even Larry K is thought as highly in Griz basketball circles. In some peoples eyes she can do no wrong. People are very upset that Haslam has only given vague for why he offered her a two year contract and 2 weeks later canned her, but I have a feeling if he told them everything that went into that decision they would be pissed that he aired their dirty laundry in public. Might get sued also! Like I said a No win situation, Now there is a movement in Missoula to force UM to hire Shannon back. They are making a lot of noise but I am not sure it is an achievable goal but they have big Griz names to support them.

One last thing about the interim coach Petrino. He is a great recruiter, but his strength is recruiting nationally. The Griz just landed a very nice JC recruit out of Missouri. Shannon would have never recruited nor signed a player from there. Montana, Oregon and the state of Washington is about the limit of her recruiting range. If you are wondering what my point is.... if Petrino does manage to stick at UM, Ms Redpath might really get her panties in a REAL bundle after a few recruiting classes!

Stay safe everyone!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:51 pm

mslacat wrote: If you are wondering what my point is.... if Petrino does manage to stick at UM, Ms Redpath might really get her panties in a REAL bundle after a few recruiting classes!
That is seriously funny. 🤣

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri May 01, 2020 10:59 am

The first of I'm sure many interviews with Petrino. We made this more about basketball and his background than the ongoing controversy surrounding the program. Hell, I'm tired of all the negativity given our already depressing world situation. So here's Mike Petrino talking about hoops.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 0473209309

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed May 06, 2020 11:44 am

Man it is getting nasty over here in Missoula Shannon is not taking this the non-renewal (after getting offered a 2 year extension) lying down. If you have been following her social media lately she has been taken shots at (I assume) Haslam. See below as a sample. From what I am hearing this is just the tip of the iceberg a lot things going on behind the scene. The thing is I do not think it will do a lot of good. It would take something totally earth shattering (or a court order) to get UM to reverse their decision. Personally I was on the fence as to whether they should extend Schweyen's contract. Given her record over her 4 years though I wold not have jumped the gun and started extension her contract talks in Boise during the Big Sky tournament. I do agree though firing her after offering her a two year extension is pretty tacky! Anyway you look at it, it is a lose lose situation. Haslam is taking slings and arrows right now Shannon lost the job she has coveted for over a decade and the Lady Griz program that was the toast of the Big Sky W omens programs for over 30 years up until a few year ago is in shambles.

Interesting fact that I mentioned when I first saw it. About 5-8 years ago I found on line a Income vrs expense summery of the Big Sky major sports. At that time in women's basketball UM and MSU were #1 and #2 respectively in attendance and money generated by their program. The big "BUT" though in MSU being #2 was that we were not even close to UM. As a matter for fact at that times (may still be true) lady Griz had the highs season ticket sales and generated more money (tickets sales, donation, women's basketball club and summer camps) that all the other Big Sky teams COMBINED. There average ticket sales per game was over 3 x what #2 MSU's were. They are still riding that wave. The lady Griz fans have been extremely loyal since Robin left, but this ugly turn of events has created some divides among the lady Griz faithful.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed May 06, 2020 1:26 pm

mslacat wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:44 am
Man it is getting nasty over here in Missoula Shannon is not taking this the non-renewal (after getting offered a 2 year extension) lying down. If you have been following her social media lately she has been taken shots at (I assume) Haslam. See below as a sample. From what I am hearing this is just the tip of the iceberg a lot things going on behind the scene. The thing is I do not think it will do a lot of good. It would take something totally earth shattering (or a court order) to get UM to reverse their decision. Personally I was on the fence as to whether they should extend Schweyen's contract. Given her record over her 4 years though I wold not have jumped the gun and started extension her contract talks in Boise during the Big Sky tournament. I do agree though firing her after offering her a two year extension is pretty tacky! Anyway you look at it, it is a lose lose situation. Haslam is taking slings and arrows right now Shannon lost the job she has coveted for over a decade and the Lady Griz program that was the toast of the Big Sky W omens programs for over 30 years up until a few year ago is in shambles.

Interesting fact that I mentioned when I first saw it. About 5-8 years ago I found on line a Income vrs expense summery of the Big Sky major sports. At that time in women's basketball UM and MSU were #1 and #2 respectively in attendance and money generated by their program. The big "BUT" though in MSU being #2 was that we were not even close to UM. As a matter for fact at that times (may still be true) lady Griz had the highs season ticket sales and generated more money (tickets sales, donation, women's basketball club and summer camps) that all the other Big Sky teams COMBINED. There average ticket sales per game was over 3 x what #2 MSU's were. They are still riding that wave. The lady Griz fans have been extremely loyal since Robin left, but this ugly turn of events has created some divides among the lady Griz faithful.

I am sure that Shannon loves (maybe loved - for past tense) the Lady Griz program, but she is doing her best to burn it down on the way out. People on that Iam21 Facebook page are pushing for no donations or contributions to any Griz sport or academia. She may have been treated wrongly on the way out by Haslam, but she had four years of subpar results and poor player retention/graduation within the program. If Haslam had never offered an extension and just terminated her after the Big Sky tourney, would there be any dispute with his decision?

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Wed May 06, 2020 1:40 pm

mslacat wrote:

I'm sorry, but Shannon is digging her own grave. Haslam doesn't look wonderful in this, but from an outsider's perspective, he clearly made the right decision - his only real mistake was publicly offering her the extension. I'm sure he'd love to have never done that, it's not like she was leveraging him because she was being courted by someone else. But the way she has handled this, she comes out looking AWFUL. Like, not ever getting another college coaching job awful. She is behaving like a spoiled, entitled, condescending brat... small wonder so many griz fans love her. :lol:

GO CATS GO!!!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed May 06, 2020 3:25 pm

I have a perfect solution. Just rehire her and continue to destroy the once golden program. Then when there is zero progress maybe she can look in the mirror and maybe begin to think there is an issue, SOMEWHERE, real close to home...

Yep, there is an ongoing train wreck to the west...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed May 06, 2020 3:41 pm

#notsorry

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed May 06, 2020 9:23 pm

Sounds a lot like the schidtstorm during Kramer's firing!

2024 Resume dominance

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Thu May 07, 2020 7:30 pm

Haslam is a douche bag. He's damn lucky griz fans can't hang his ass. Because they would. If the Washington boys were more pissed, he'd be gone.

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Mon May 11, 2020 12:51 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:26 pm
mslacat wrote:

I am sure that Shannon loves (maybe loved - for past tense) the Lady Griz program, but she is doing her best to burn it down on the way out. People on that Iam21 Facebook page are pushing for no donations or contributions to any Griz sport or academia. She may have been treated wrongly on the way out by Haslam, but she had four years of subpar results and poor player retention/graduation within the program. If Haslam had never offered an extension and just terminated her after the Big Sky tourney, would there be any dispute with his decision?

That's rich coming from someone who stole leather coats for fun as lady griz

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon May 11, 2020 9:11 pm

kcatz wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:51 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:26 pm
mslacat wrote:

That's rich coming from someone who stole leather coats for fun as lady griz
Not too many people remember Shannon doing that as it was in the late 80’s and she was a young college kid. She made a dumb mistake back then as we all have as young people.

What is telling though is her lack of accountability for the programs downfall over the past four years. Haslam really handled this poorly, but his ultimate decision to let her go made sense given all the facts. With the way Shannon has handled this, she will never get another chance as a head coach.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Tue May 12, 2020 6:03 am

I think it’s time to move on to another topic. I agree that she’s responded to her dismissal as head coach poorly, but I don’t feel comfortable with taking this outside of The world of sports.
People who live In glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. Her comments about the AD are highly inappropriate. One thing about Montana State is we’ve always done a great job keeping it classy. I don’t think that we should change.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Tue May 12, 2020 12:11 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:03 am
I think it’s time to move on to another topic. I agree that she’s responded to her dismissal as head coach poorly, but I don’t feel comfortable with taking this outside of The world of sports.
People who live In glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. Her comments about the AD are highly inappropriate. One thing about Montana State is we’ve always done a great job keeping it classy. I don’t think that we should change.
Ilikecats wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:03 am
Some of us remember the things Mike Kramer said about Peter Fields. We have some mud slinging in our past as well.