Spring 2020 Recruiting

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring 2020 Recruiting

Post by mslacat » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:35 pm

As has been posted the Bobcat sign 6-3ish high school point guard Kellen Tynes. He is from Nova Scotia Canada his town and school is less then 100 miles from the state of Maine I had heard U of Maine had offered him recently and though they may have the inside track to signing him. Over on the Southern Iowa basketball site they are a little flabbergasted that he chose MSU over them. He had over a dozen school showing interest but I believe only 5 offers. I believe he committed last Tuesday the day before the singing period started but asked the coaches to wait on him so he could have a big school announcement today. Rumor has it we had 2 Point guards try to commit Tuesday we could only take one. Kellen attends Rothesay Netherwood high school a private prep school in Dartmouth Canada. The enrollment of the school is relatively small but as wiht many prep schools their basketball team is very talented. This past season his Netherwood team went undefeated for the season, won the NPA (national Prep school Association) championship and Kellen was named NPA's MVP for 2020. He average 22 points, 7 rebounds 4 assists 6 steals and shot 50% from the field and 34% from 3 point range. As a junior he average 29 points 7 rebounds 6 steals 50% from the field and 30% from three point range. His point toals went down his senior year, but he took a much better tam to the championship. As I said above Southern Iowa were recruiting him hard since the fall along with Quinipec. Recently I hear Maine had offered and a couple ivy league schools. Like fall recruit Tyler Patterson Kellen has strong reputation as a defender as you might guess by his 6 steals a game he has quick hands and a knack for getting his hands on the ball. He is going to be given every chance I to back up Bishop this year with an eye on him to be our starting point guard in 21-22.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:00 pm

mslacat wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:35 pm
As has been posted the Bobcat sign 6-3ish high school point guard Kellen Tynes. He is from Nova Scotia Canada his town and school is less then 100 miles from the state of Maine I had heard U of Maine had offered him recently and though they may have the inside track to signing him. Over on the Southern Iowa basketball site they are a little flabbergasted that he chose MSU over them. He had over a dozen school showing interest but I believe only 5 offers. I believe he committed last Tuesday the day before the singing period started but asked the coaches to wait on him so he could have a big school announcement today. Rumor has it we had 2 Point guards try to commit Tuesday we could only take one. Kellen attends Rothesay Netherwood high school a private prep school in Dartmouth Canada. The enrollment of the school is relatively small but as wiht many prep schools their basketball team is very talented. This past season his Netherwood team went undefeated for the season, won the NPA (national Prep school Association) championship and Kellen was named NPA's MVP for 2020. He average 22 points, 7 rebounds 4 assists 6 steals and shot 50% from the field and 34% from 3 point range. As a junior he average 29 points 7 rebounds 6 steals 50% from the field and 30% from three point range. His point toals went down his senior year, but he took a much better tam to the championship. As I said above Southern Iowa were recruiting him hard since the fall along with Quinipec. Recently I hear Maine had offered and a couple ivy league schools. Like fall recruit Tyler Patterson Kellen has strong reputation as a defender as you might guess by his 6 steals a game he has quick hands and a knack for getting his hands on the ball. He is going to be given every chance I to back up Bishop this year with an eye on him to be our starting point guard in 21-22.

Wow, that seems to be good news if Sprinkle is getting more kids wanting to commit than spots available. I assume you mean Southern Illinois where you say Southern Iowa. I just took a look at their forum and some of the comments are quite funny. I guess we'd say the same thing about our opinions of going to Carbondale, Illinois instead of Bozeman!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:24 pm

Tynes can pass. Made some beautiful pinpoint passes in that video. His quickness and athleticism looks impressive as well. I also watched his mic’d up and he is a leader on the court. There looks like some athletes are in his league, but not sure about the depth. They have him listed at 6’3” but that would mean he has a 6’10 and 6’8’ guy on his team... Not sure about 6’3”, but I love the fact that he was getting offers from those east coast schools. Lots of talent in NY, PA and NJ and those schools offered this kid. Could be a great talent in the future.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:39 am

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:24 pm
Tynes can pass. Made some beautiful pinpoint passes in that video. His quickness and athleticism looks impressive as well. I also watched his mic’d up and he is a leader on the court. There looks like some athletes are in his league, but not sure about the depth. They have him listed at 6’3” but that would mean he has a 6’10 and 6’8’ guy on his team... Not sure about 6’3”, but I love the fact that he was getting offers from those east coast schools. Lots of talent in NY, PA and NJ and those schools offered this kid. Could be a great talent in the future.
Actually there is a sophomore 7'-0" center on his team. There are also 5 players are 6-5 or over (not much over). Remember while the school Tynes attended is enrollment size is smallish (equivalent size of a Montana class B or A)) it is a private prep school. They have players from all over Canada and one from Spain and one from England. They can actually go out and recruit players. They also play a regional schedule schedule. I know on the US side of the boarder there is quite collection of prep schools in in the New England area.

One thing I did notice that is different from most of Sprinkles other recruits is that while the three point shot is part of his game he does not seem to be the the 40% 3 point shooting 5 feet beyond the arc, shooter that most of his other recruits this year have been. I do not think that is bad, as a matter of fact I have advocating to recruit a few more dribble and drive players that can get penetration in the key and draw a crowd score and draw a foul. Despite having Hall and Frey we have not had some who could really do that since Colbert graduated.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:04 am

A nice article where Kellen Tynes talks about why he choose the Bobcats and gives you a glimpse into Sprinkle's more straightforward approach to selling futre players,

Those to Lazy to link over here is a blurb at the end of the srticle that give you some insight to the type of game he has. Just one thing that I have heard both personally and through article is about Tyen's work ethic and being very coach-able Excited to get him into the Brick.

https://phenomhoopreport.com/commitment ... ana-state/
What Was Said by Phenom Hoops:
“He simply does it all and understands how to properly run a team on both ends of the floor. Tynes is very smart with the ball in his hands, which makes him a constant threat to set up others or assert himself as an efficient scorer from anywhere on the court. He plays with a phenomenal pace, always calm, never rushed, and able to breakdown opposing defenses at a sharp speed. Tynes displays quickness on either side of the ball, able to effortlessly get by the point of attack on offense while showing the ability to lock up his assignment on the other end. For a do-it-all guy like him, Tynes is criminally underrated and under-recruited.” – Jeff Bendel in 2019

“He plays with a great feel to the game, as well as patience. He plays with a nice pace to his game, attacks when the opportunity was there, but also showcasing a tremendous ability to see the floor and defenders. Absolutely loved his leadership on the floor as well as his smooth jump shot that he showed many times.” – Patrick O’Brien in 2019

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:12 am

Me Again. From twitter here is a list of schools that were recruiting Kellen Tynes this late winter and Spring

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:12 am

mslacat wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:39 am
Cataholic wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:24 pm
Actually there is a sophomore 7'-0" center on his team. There are also 5 players are 6-5 or over (not much over). Remember while the school Tynes attended is enrollment size is smallish (equivalent size of a Montana class B or A)) it is a private prep school. They have players from all over Canada and one from Spain and one from England. They can actually go out and recruit players. They also play a regional schedule schedule. I know on the US side of the boarder there is quite collection of prep schools in in the New England area.

One thing I did notice that is different from most of Sprinkles other recruits is that while the three point shot is part of his game he does not seem to be the the 40% 3 point shooting 5 feet beyond the arc, shooter that most of his other recruits this year have been. I do not think that is bad, as a matter of fact I have advocating to recruit a few more dribble and drive players that can get penetration in the key and draw a crowd score and draw a foul. Despite having Hall and Frey we have not had some who could really do that since Colbert graduated.
Wow! Thanks for the insight! Even more impressive! The more I learn about this kid, the more excited I get! Sprinkle is really putting together some nice recruits!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:29 pm

I just read that Sydney Dethman has signed with Fresno State’s women’s basketball.

https://406mtsports.com/college/froid- ... 54a0e.html

It’s the first time I’ve heard of her. Was she overlooked in Class C? Can anyone that knows her comment here, please? I’m not in any way saying she got away. Fresno State might be suspect? But any class C player going to D-I is news.
Last edited by Bobcat4Ever on Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:54 pm

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:08 pm

https://msubobcats.com/news/2020/4/18/m ... hoops.aspx

Abdul is a graduate transfer from the University of North Texas. Welcome to the Bobcat family.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:06 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:29 pm
I just read that Sydney Dethman has signed with Fresno State’s women’s basketball.

https://406mtsports.com/college/froid- ... 54a0e.html

It’s the first time I’ve heard of her. Was she overlooked in Class C? Can anyone that knows her comment here, please? I’m not in any way saying she got away. Fresno State might be suspect? But any class C player going to D-I is news.
This would be the second Class C girl out of this years class that I am aware of. Joelnell Momberg from Box Elder committed to the Griz and per a recent article is apparently still committed even with all the turmoil in Missoula. Joelnell committed after her Junior year, having helped Box Elder to State Class C titles two consecutive years and being named all-state. You did not hear much about her this year because she and her sister transferred to Meade High School, a 4A school in Spokane Washington, where Joelnell finished off her career averaging over 15 ppg at a higher level of ball.

I saw the Dethman sisters play several times and at two state C tourneys. They are coaches' kids so both Mackenzie and Sydney had the fundamentals down, they both looked athletic for their age, understood where to be on the court, block out, movement without the ball, etc. But since Sydney was only a Sophomore the last time I saw her, she didn't have the strength or speed for D-1. However, after the last time I saw her, I left a note with the Bobcat coaching staff to watch four girls from the tourney.... to see how they continued to progress.....after seeing your note, I just looked at my program from the tourney and Sydney was on the list of four girls to watch for continued development. The other three all went to Frontier conference level teams....

I would like to hear from someone else who watched her senior year and can comment on development to a D-1 level.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:29 am

imacat wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:54 pm
That SONOFABITCH got one absolutely positively by me!