Mississippi State's new head fb coach

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Mississippi State's new head fb coach

Post by RickRund » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:12 pm

Will be Mike Leach... Just saw a tweet. Must say I am a bit surprised.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Mississippi State's new head fb coach

Post by Montanabob » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:14 pm

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2020/0 ... /23972380/
Maybe we should recruit Mississippi State get some transfers

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:28 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:14 pm
Whoa!!! Totally shocking....people still use America Online?!?!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:17 pm

I thought it was funny. My wife has shown me several very similar.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:09 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:28 pm
Montanabob wrote:
So is Forbes better writing for you?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/terencemoo ... snt-funny/

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:01 pm

I know I would not think that a noose was offensive. like I said I thought it was funny. Leach is a very smart guy, I can't imagine the people trying to lynch him won't look at intent. It was not his intent to insult, he was making a joke.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:26 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:09 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:28 pm
Montanabob wrote:
So is Forbes better writing for you?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/terencemoo ... snt-funny/
Sorry. I’m just a being a smartass. No offense intended.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:21 am

allcat wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:01 pm
I know I would not think that a noose was offensive. like I said I thought it was funny. Leach is a very smart guy, I can't imagine the people trying to lynch him won't look at intent. It was not his intent to insult, he was making a joke.
Is it safe to assume that you are white? I am, but I know enough to understand that posting anything about a noose/lynching when you live in the South is still - and probably forever will be - extremely offensive and hurtful to people down there. It's NOT funny, it's stupid. It may not have been his intent to offend, but if he doesn't have the common sense to understand how that could be offensive, then that's an even bigger problem in my mind.

GO CATS GO!!!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:28 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:21 am
allcat wrote:
Is it safe to assume that you are white? I am, but I know enough to understand that posting anything about a noose/lynching when you live in the South is still - and probably forever will be - extremely offensive and hurtful to people down there. It's NOT funny, it's stupid. It may not have been his intent to offend, but if he doesn't have the common sense to understand how that could be offensive, then that's an even bigger problem in my mind.
I don't know how you know about this. I've never lived in the south, but I never knew it. I'm not really taking a stance on this. I just equate it to the statue thing, many statues offend someone, I hate the Janet Rankin statue. But now some want to tear down Christopher Columbus statues.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:38 pm

allcat wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:28 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
allcat wrote:
I don't know how you know about this. I've never lived in the south, but I never knew it. I'm not really taking a stance on this. I just equate it to the statue thing, many statues offend someone, I hate the Janet Rankin statue. But now some want to tear down Christopher Columbus statues.
It's one thing to tear down an old statue....it's another thing to put a new one up.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:51 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:38 pm
allcat wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
allcat wrote:
It's one thing to tear down an old statue....it's another thing to put a new one up.
I don't know what that means.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:13 pm

allcat wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:51 pm
HelenaCat95 wrote:
allcat wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
allcat wrote:
By tweeting a picture of a noose, it's similar to putting up a new statue.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:34 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:13 pm
allcat wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
allcat wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
allcat wrote:
I call BS on this. I truly do think it was an honest mistake and I'm sure Leach regrets it happened.

Like many of us on BN, I was born and raised in Montana. My frame of reference on a noose is old Westerns and vigilante justice. We had quite the history of that in this state, as you probably know. I know when I see a noose, that's where my mind goes, NOT as a sign of racism.

Now, here's some perspective for you... A quick Google search indicates that Leach was born in California, raised in Cody, WY. Was raised LDS and went to college at BYU. Doesn't get much more "white bread" than that. Religion aside, his frame of reference is probably much the same as mine, yours and many others here in the west. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt rather than vilify him about it.

You read the article... Mississippi State football is an also-ran in the SEC. Leach knows this and he knows he needs all the talent he can possibly get. Even if he was the biggest racist in the world, do you really think he would knowingly and deliberately post something that could be misconstrued as racist in the Deep South? Hell no! He may be a bit odd and aloof at times, but he's far from stupid. Just a moment of naivete with a touch of a lack of situational awareness tossed in. No more, no less.

Crap like this is why I despise social media such as Twitter and Instagram because the PC police and ambulance chasers take an honest mistake and run with it, dragging people through the mud in the process.

I also get so sick and tired of people getting unreasonably offended over the littlest, most insignificant things (like this, and people thinking the term Wuhan virus is xenophobic) People need to calm down and quit overreacting to stuff like this, it only serves to divide us further.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:59 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:34 pm
HelenaCat95 wrote:
allcat wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
allcat wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
allcat wrote:
I call BS on this. I truly do think it was an honest mistake and I'm sure Leach regrets it happened.

Like many of us on BN, I was born and raised in Montana. My frame of reference on a noose is old Westerns and vigilante justice. We had quite the history of that in this state, as you probably know. I know when I see a noose, that's where my mind goes, NOT as a sign of racism.

Now, here's some perspective for you... A quick Google search indicates that Leach was born in California, raised in Cody, WY. Was raised LDS and went to college at BYU. Doesn't get much more "white bread" than that. Religion aside, his frame of reference is probably much the same as mine, yours and many others here in the west. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt rather than vilify him about it.

You read the article... Mississippi State football is an also-ran in the SEC. Leach knows this and he knows he needs all the talent he can possibly get. Even if he was the biggest racist in the world, do you really think he would knowingly and deliberately post something that could be misconstrued as racist in the Deep South? Hell no! He may be a bit odd and aloof at times, but he's far from stupid. Just a moment of naivete with a touch of a lack of situational awareness tossed in. No more, no less.

Crap like this is why I despise social media such as Twitter and Instagram because the PC police and ambulance chasers take an honest mistake and run with it, dragging people through the mud in the process.

I also get so sick and tired of people getting unreasonably offended over the littlest, most insignificant things (like this, and people thinking the term Wuhan virus is xenophobic) People need to calm down and quit overreacting to stuff like this, it only serves to divide us further.
Grizh8r.
Please crawl back in your hole and die. You give a bad name to Montana natives.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:11 am

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:59 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
allcat wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
allcat wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
allcat wrote:

Grizh8r.
I thought it was a reasoned and thoughtful explanation. You are way out of line in your comment.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:05 am

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:59 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
allcat wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
allcat wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
allcat wrote:

Grizh8r.
Come on, no need for that. You can disagree without resorting to telling people to crawl in a hole and die. Sheesh, that's a lot worse than what he said. :roll:

Generally, I agree that the PC police are out of control, but I think that when it comes to racism - especially down in the South, where blatant, hateful racism is still very much a problem - we should all be sensitive to that. Our history of racism and slavery in this country is still very much a source of hurt and fear to African Americans in this country to this very day, and we should all go out of our way to try and help make a difference towards the positive in that regard. There is no place for it, plain and simple. Tweeting something like Leech did is the sort of thing that further divides us, not calling him out for it. You really would think that a football coach, who has far more exposure and experience in working with young black men than most of us ever will would understand this, the fact that he didn't to me is very concerning. That, to me, is a lot more than a moment of naivete with a touch of a lack of situational awareness, that's just plain stupidity. No, I don't think he is a stupid man, but this was just plum dumb.

GO CATS GO!!!