There is discussion to move the season to spring.

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

There is discussion to move the season to spring.

Post by RickRund » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:02 am

Just saw Lou Holtz on Fox Business and he said it is being mulled over. That could be a BIG financial burden I would think.

https://dailycaller.com/2020/04/01/grou ... ring-2021/

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: There is discussion to move the season to spring.

Post by Cataholic » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:30 am

It is an interesting concept. Why do you think it would be more of a financial burden? I could actually see attendance go up with nicer weather.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:41 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:30 am
It is an interesting concept. Why do you think it would be more of a financial burden? I could actually see attendance go up with nicer weather.
Just thinking the delay of 8 or 9 months would have an effect. I could be totally wrong. What do I have to base this on? Nothing at all. Just wondering about the delay. Weather would be better for sure.

msubobcats@outlook.com

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:47 am

RickRund wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:41 am
Cataholic wrote:
Just thinking the delay of 8 or 9 months would have an effect. I could be totally wrong. What do I have to base this on? Nothing at all. Just wondering about the delay. Weather would be better for sure.
If the alternative is to play with no fans in the stadium, they might be better off waiting to play until spring. The revenue from home football games is so important. A season without ticket revenue would be devastating. And many programs have fixed infrastructure costs that won’t go away if the season is not played.

Our only hope for fall football might be that a vaccine is developed before then.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:34 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:47 am
RickRund wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
If the alternative is to play with no fans in the stadium, they might be better off waiting to play until spring. The revenue from home football games is so important. A season without ticket revenue would be devastating. And many programs have fixed infrastructure costs that won’t go away if the season is not played.

Our only hope for fall football might be that a vaccine is developed before then.
Got this earlier this morning. Would be great news if it would work on all patients across the board.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/la-doctor ... ing%20News

msubobcats@outlook.com

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:44 am

RickRund wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:34 am
Cataholic wrote:
RickRund wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Got this earlier this morning. Would be great news if it would work on all patients across the board.

Obviously I'm not educated on this specific drug combo you cited. But I think you bring up something that gets lost in all this mess. I get that fear sells. I understand that CNN and Fox and other news outlets insist on a 24-7 "death toll" ticker on their channels. It'd be amazing if they did that all of the time with everything that kills tens of thousands of people. It'd be redundant, but fair.

However, in all of these doomsday, worst-case scenarios, predictions of millions dead, then hundreds of thousands, our "9/11" and "Pearl Harbor", people don't seem to be considering the science. Maybe I am way too optimistic. It's my nature. But we have the smartest people on the planet working almost non-stop to fight this thing. I might just have more faith in the doctors and scientists than I should. But I truly trust that we'll come up with ways sooner than later to beat this thing, and it will be more than just keeping people from going to school and working for the next year.

Cool article. Thanks.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:18 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:44 am
RickRund wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
RickRund wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Obviously I'm not educated on this specific drug combo you cited. But I think you bring up something that gets lost in all this mess. I get that fear sells. I understand that CNN and Fox and other news outlets insist on a 24-7 "death toll" ticker on their channels. It'd be amazing if they did that all of the time with everything that kills tens of thousands of people. It'd be redundant, but fair.

However, in all of these doomsday, worst-case scenarios, predictions of millions dead, then hundreds of thousands, our "9/11" and "Pearl Harbor", people don't seem to be considering the science. Maybe I am way too optimistic. It's my nature. But we have the smartest people on the planet working almost non-stop to fight this thing. I might just have more faith in the doctors and scientists than I should. But I truly trust that we'll come up with ways sooner than later to beat this thing, and it will be more than just keeping people from going to school and working for the next year.

Cool article. Thanks.
Virus vaccines have been rare until not many years ago. The speed of vaccines is now pretty astonishing. They are developing many paths to look for vaccines.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:28 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:44 am
RickRund wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
RickRund wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Cool article. Thanks.
There is a lot of fear mongering going on. It is hard to tell what is factual and what is fake news. The mainstream media has been so focused on making Trump look bad versus just reporting the facts. It is frustrating.

Everything I have seen on Hydrochloroquine has been positive, yet I still hear doctors not using it for treatment. It is baffling to me.

Despite this “miracle” treatment, we probably need a vaccine that prevents people from catching coronavirus before life will return to normal.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:28 pm

Cataholic wrote:
RickRund wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I don't think we need a vaccine to have a season, just a treatment or better yet a cure.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:30 am

Spring in Montana? Next year I hear it's on a Tuesday.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:33 pm

Spring in the Midwest and the SEC? Tornado warnings, and too often the real deal.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:55 pm

If they played in the spring (2021) would the next season be the fall (2021)?

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:03 am

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:55 pm
Great question. Playing in the Spring, and then Fall 3 months later, would certainly throw a kink into offseason healing, surgeries, etc.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:20 am

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:03 am
The Butcher wrote:
Great question. Playing in the Spring, and then Fall 3 months later, would certainly throw a kink into offseason healing, surgeries, etc.
Especially for teams who go deep into the FCS five round playoff bracket.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:50 am

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:20 am
91catAlum wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Right! you'd have to start the "spring" season in early February in order to have playoffs in May and the chipper in early June. (then start fall camp 2 months later?? yikes.) I just dont see that working very well.
And I think we can forget about the "better weather" theory, February is often our worst weather month in Montana.
Feb-March-April is no better than Sept-Oct-Nov.

I could see them contracting the playoff field to 16 teams maybe... even that is 4 weeks of playoffs, though.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:17 am

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:50 am
MSU01 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Right! you'd have to start the "spring" season in early February in order to have playoffs in May and the chipper in early June. (then start fall camp 2 months later?? yikes.) I just dont see that working very well.
And I think we can forget about the "better weather" theory, February is often our worst weather month in Montana.

I could see them contracting the playoff field to 16 teams maybe... even that is 4 weeks of playoffs, though.
Or shorten the season by playing a conference schedule only, then having a 16-team playoff. That would put the entire season into a 12 or 13 week window, or the normal length of a regular season. Not playing non-conference games would also likely be safer, as it would lessen the amount of traveling around the country that teams would need to do. But that would take away the opportunity for teams to get their big paydays against FBS opponents, which many rely on. It will be interesting to see what happens!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:35 am

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:17 am
91catAlum wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

Or shorten the season by playing a conference schedule only, then having a 16-team playoff. That would put the entire season into a 12 or 13 week window, or the normal length of a regular season. Not playing non-conference games would also likely be safer, as it would lessen the amount of traveling around the country that teams would need to do. But that would take away the opportunity for teams to get their big paydays against FBS opponents, which many rely on. It will be interesting to see what happens!
No !!! This can't happen. It would screw up ESPN'S coverage of track and field and the corn hole playoffs.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:08 pm

91catAlum wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

I'll take Sept/Oct/Nov every single day of Feb/March and FebMarch2.0

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:14 am

91catAlum wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

It's an interesting idea. I could see it working if there were no out of conference games. Just start with league play.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.