Schweyen out as UM women's coach

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Schweyen out as UM women's coach

Post by John K » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:11 am

It was announced today that Shannon Schweyen was fired after 4 years on the job. It's never easy to follow in the footsteps of a legend, and she obviously struggled, although some of that was due to being plagued by injuries during her tenure. Still though, this was her best season, and considering her long history with the program, I thought she might get another year or two. I'm sure her 1-7 record against MSU was probably a factor, and she was only 1-4 in the BSC tourney. That program has fallen a long ways, after totally dominating the BSC for so many years. She also had a number of players who left the program before completing their eligibility, which wouldn't have helped her cause either. I wonder if her two daughters will stay at UM, or be looking to transfer?

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Re: Schweyen out as UM women's coach

Post by SACCAT » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:07 am

You NEVER want to be the coach that takes over for a legend, you want to be the coach that takes over for THAT coach.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:18 am

Will they go outside the Selvig coaching tree? Are there any former Selvig players who are successful head coaches? One name that I think will pop up is Loree Payne at NAU. She's from Havre, but played college ball at Washington.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:21 am

Not surprised at all. Expected it would happen. She’s not a good recruiter. I don’t think Selvig would’ve done much better. He probably would’ve overecruited Montana as well. It worked for a long time, but the rest of the country (world) got much better. It’s too bad because the girls going there will drop down to the Frontier and that’s less opportunities for Montana girls. Dog eat dog world.

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:47 am

I think that the Big Sky women’s teams had generally caught up with Selvig and the Lady Griz. There are a lot of good coaches that were coming into their own when Selvig retired.

Shannon kind of was dealt a bad hand with first couple years due to injuries. As a coach I think she would have made strides in the next two years to keep her job on a high level.

I understand with all the defections why she was let go. I also think the fans needed to wake up to the fact that they weren’t the only kid on the block...which they typically don’t.

Won’t take much to turn it around - it is a premier program .

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:17 am

bpcats20 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:47 am
I think that the Big Sky women’s teams had generally caught up with Selvig and the Lady Griz. There are a lot of good coaches that were coming into their own when Selvig retired.

Shannon kind of was dealt a bad hand with first couple years due to injuries. As a coach I think she would have made strides in the next two years to keep her job on a high level.

I understand with all the defections why she was let go. I also think the fans needed to wake up to the fact that they weren’t the only kid on the block...which they typically don’t.

Won’t take much to turn it around - it is a premier program .
You mean just like the way their fans haven't yet woken up to the fact that they aren't the only kid on the block in football anymore either? I swear most of their fans still think they're the premier football program in the BSC, even though they haven't won an "official" BSC title since 2009. I wouldn't normally ever feel any sympathy for anyone associated with UM athletics, but I do feel a little bit bad for her, because she sorta was dealt a band hand, between following in the footsteps of the legendary Selvig, the rest of the BSC catching up to them, and all the injuries her teams suffered during her first 2 or 3 years. Maybe they'll hire Krista Redpath, so she'll quit annoying everyone on TV.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:38 am

Sucks seeing people get fired. Really sucks when all-time great players get fired as coaches where they played. That remains my biggest fear with Danny. I have all the confidence in the world in his coaching ability. But coaching is tough. It's brutal. I just don't want people to forget what a special player he was and what he did for the program as a whole if he doesn't have great success coaching.

It's clear that at least for one idiot poster on egriz, he forgot what a special player Schweyen was and more importantly what she did for that program overall.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:31 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:38 am
Sucks seeing people get fired. Really sucks when all-time great players get fired as coaches where they played. That remains my biggest fear with Danny. I have all the confidence in the world in his coaching ability. But coaching is tough. It's brutal. I just don't want people to forget what a special player he was and what he did for the program as a whole if he doesn't have great success coaching.

It's clear that at least for one idiot poster on egriz, he forgot what a special player Schweyen was and more importantly what she did for that program overall.
Not only is she an all-time great, but her entire family is intertwined with UM athletics. Her husband (and MSU Alum) is the track coach, and her daughters are on the bball team. You have to wonder if there are hard feelings, and if so, how does that trickle down?

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:17 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:31 pm
ilovethecats wrote:

Not only is she an all-time great, but her entire family is intertwined with UM athletics. Her husband (and MSU Alum) is the track coach, and her daughters are on the bball team. You have to wonder if there are hard feelings, and if so, how does that trickle down?
I've never met Shannon, but I've met her husband a couple of times...he's sort of a friend of a friend. He's an artist, and he's come to GF a few times in past years for the Russell art auction. I don't know him well, but he seems like a real good guy. I believe he's in the MSU HOF as a track athlete?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:33 pm

John K wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:17 pm
wbtfg wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

I've never met Shannon, but I've met her husband a couple of times...he's sort of a friend of a friend. He's an artist, and he's come to GF a few times in past years for the Russell art auction. I don't know him well, but he seems like a real good guy. I believe he's in the MSU HOF as a track athlete?
He’s a freak of nature. He was on my city league team on year. I’d throw a dart (not a lob) at the basket he’d come down baseline and “throw it down!”

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:53 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:33 pm
John K wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:17 pm
wbtfg wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

He’s a freak of nature. He was on my city league team one year. I’d throw a dart (not a lob) at the basket he’d come down baseline and “throw it down!”

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:01 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
He’s a freak of nature. He was on my city league team on year. I’d throw a dart (not a lob) at the basket he’d come down baseline and “throw it down!”
Wasn't he one of the only people in the world who pole vaulted 17' and high jumped 7'?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:04 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:01 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Wasn't he one of the only people in the world who pole vaulted 17' and high jumped 7'?
He was the first to do it on the same day.

toM StUber

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:52 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:04 am
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:01 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
He was the first to do it on the same day.
Wow, that is super-freak stuff...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.