What kind of cool Bobcat stuff do you own?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

What kind of cool Bobcat stuff do you own?

Post by AFCAT » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:48 pm

Okay, with all this sitting at home, I've become quite bored. I've watched Bobcat football games over and over online and gone through every interview and story I can find on the Cats. With all this sitting around and not much news coming out, I've got to thinking about the Bobcats and my lifelong passion for the sports program at MSU.

I'm curious what cool or cherished Bobcat related items all you fans have. Do you have an autograph, photo, shirt, hat, jersey, or any other item that you are particularly proud to own or display? I have some vintage programs from the 40s and 50s, lot's of 1984 football gear (including a championship game watch, jacket, shirt, and football pin), game worn jerseys from Chad Newell, Nick LaSane, Chris Murray, and others, and lots of other stuff. One item I came across last year on ebay really caught my eye. I located a school letterman's sweater that was owned by Homer Taylor, the 1919 football team captain and starting quarterback. The sweater also came with some personal photos, newspapers, and a letter written by Walter Powell. Powell was the 1918 Montana State football coach who was now coaching at Stanford. In the letter, Powell was trying to recruit Taylor to come to Stanford to play football.

Here are some photos of the sweater. Oh, I donated the sweater, photos, letter, and other ephemera to MSU, but I still consider them my greatest find.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: What kind of cool Bobcat stuff do you own?

Post by catatac » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:05 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:48 pm
Okay, with all this sitting at home, I've become quite bored. I've watched Bobcat football games over and over online and gone through every interview and story I can find on the Cats. With all this sitting around and not much news coming out, I've got to thinking about the Bobcats and my lifelong passion for the sports program at MSU.

I'm curious what cool or cherished Bobcat related items all you fans have. Do you have an autograph, photo, shirt, hat, jersey, or any other item that you are particularly proud to own or display? I have some vintage programs from the 40s and 50s, lot's of 1984 football gear (including a championship game watch, jacket, shirt, and football pin), game worn jerseys from Chad Newell, Nick LaSane, Chris Murray, and others, and lots of other stuff. One item I came across last year on ebay really caught my eye. I located a school letterman's sweater that was owned by Homer Taylor, the 1919 football team captain and starting quarterback. The sweater also came with some personal photos, newspapers, and a letter written by Walter Powell. Powell was the 1918 Montana State football coach who was now coaching at Stanford. In the letter, Powell was trying to recruit Taylor to come to Stanford to play football.

Here are some photos of the sweater. Oh, I donated the sweater, photos, letter, and other ephemera to MSU, but I still consider them my greatest find.

Those are SWEET AFCAT! Good for you on donating them too. My collection is small and not nearly that impressive. I have a program from a Triangle Classic signed by the Lulay brothers, a signed Dane Fletcher jersey, and a practice helmet... and tons of Bobcat clothing... that's it. :lol: Oh, and a huge yellow cowbell that someone from this board made and sold to me several years ago.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:17 pm

I don't have pictures of the first couple, but....

**signed Football from the 2011 Bobcat football team

**Ping-Pong table painted like the Football field (with players signatures on bottom...picked up at a garage sale)

** Two corduroy hats from the 1984 National Football team

**90's Mens Cheerleading top

Vintage Bobcat Blanket

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:24 pm

Oh, man I miss corduroy hats. :lol: I wish I had one of those, just to wear on game days. I still have a Hawaiian print R-bar hat that they sold in the 80s.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:28 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:24 pm
Oh, man I miss corduroy hats. :lol: I wish I had one of those, just to wear on game days. I still have a Hawaiian print R-bar hat that they sold in the 80s.
I wore the gold one every home game last year...

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:11 pm

Bobcat helmet signed by the 2001 team.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:34 pm

Just a Kramer-signed helmet and a banner from 1965 that belonged to my late brother. But they're both at my office so I can't show a photo :(

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Wrangler
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Wrangler » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:16 pm

2002 football signed by Mike Kramer, Ryan Johnson, Jr. Adams, Kane Ione, Travis Lulay, Roger Cooper, Adam Cordeiro, Brian Choi, and many others.

2004 Blue-Gold game ball signed by Kane Ione. I think that was his first year as an assistant coach for the program.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:25 pm

2 game worn jerseys: one was Deonte Flowers and the other was the one Alex Eekoff wore when he played TE in heavy sets.

I used to own a gold motorcycle helmet with Bobcat logo decals. (I couldn't find anyplace that sold them, so I printed them myself.) I hung it on my wall once it wore out, but it got infested with a tropical mold, so I couldn't keep it.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:30 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:17 pm
I don't have pictures of the first couple, but....

**signed Football from the 2011 Bobcat football team

**Ping-Pong table painted like the Football field (with players signatures on bottom...picked up at a garage sale)

** Two corduroy hats from the 1984 National Football team

**90's Mens Cheerleading top

Vintage Bobcat Blanket
Oh man that blanket with the block MSU logo brings back memories! I remember a long time ago I had one of those flimsy polyester hats that were popular in the early 90's embroidered with that logo. I wore the dang thing out. I'm sure my parents have some way old bobcat gear from back in the day, (my Dad never throws anything out, hah!). Trying to think of anything unique I have... I used to have a poster board from one of the Chronicle vending machines from like 1997 (back when they had the gold helmets with the "rat" bobcat logo on the one side), had a game photo of a bobcat running back on it, don't recall his name. If I recall, it was even signed. #-o Was on the wall in my old room for years growing up. Was pretty unique, wish I would have saved it. Also had a copy of the Exponent the issue after 2002 cat/griz was played. A dozen moves later, I have no idea if I still have it or not.

I do still have 2 Zephyr fitted ball caps with the 90's rat bobcat logo that I wear fairly often, they were and still are the best fitted caps I've ever owned, way better than the new flex fit caps.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:29 am

I have a #88 worn practice jersey that I believe was Michael Jefferson's. That's really about it for "unique" stuff, unfortunately. I make sure to buy a gold rush shirt ever year even though I never get to go to the game.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:00 pm

My Grandpa's Silver Bobcat jacket. One of my most prized possessions.

I also have a white game-worn Singleton jersey. Won a signed team helmet from about 2003.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Bobcat80
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat80 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:19 pm

I have a signed team helmet from 2005.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:53 pm

Not meaning to side track this thread but does anyone remember or have access to the T-Shirts somebody made several years ago that looked like PBR Beer but with Bobcat stuff woven throughout?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:37 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:00 pm

Okay, that one brought a tear to my eye. Seriously cool.

Sherwood cat
New Recruit

Post by Sherwood cat » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:56 pm

FIrst time trying to post an image so don't know if it will work: My Dad attended MSU in the early 1940's - found the belt buckle stashed away after he passed. Very cool - is on a white canvas belt / sash. appears to be from a uniform ( band or ROTC???) but haven't been able to track it down. pretty neat, if anyone has any idea what it is from, would appreciate any feedback.

A-Frame
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by A-Frame » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:42 pm

Here's a VERY small chunk of what I've got. I've got tons of vintage T-shirts, but this is probably my favorite one.

If anyone wants to see any more I'll throw some more up!

GO CATS!

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:39 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:37 pm
CatBlitz wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:00 pm

Okay, that one brought a tear to my eye. Seriously cool.
He was a pretty cool guy. I'm sure wherever he is, he's loving what Choate is doing though!

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:15 am

Have a cool blue helmet signed by defense of player of the year Jody Owens, offensive player of the year Denarius McGhee, and coach of the year Rob Ash.
If I can figure out how to get a picture off of my phone on here I’ll post it.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:52 pm

I don't know that this qualifies as cool but in 1982 or 1983 there was a new intramural sport - indoor wiffleball. I think it was a one year thing. It was held in the PE complex on the basketball courts. We figured out that a good strategy was to hit the ball straight up into the ceiling framing which is open web with a maze of beams, structure, ducts, etc. Once the wiffleball went into that it bounced around and there was no telling where and when it would drop back down. We rode that strategy to the first and only indoor wiffleball championship. Our reward? Giant yellow foam baseball caps with MSU Indoor Wiffleball Champs on them. My buddy still has his.

I know this doesn't fit the thread. But its a good memory.