WBB 2020-21

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: WBB 2020-21

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:43 pm

Catlady wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:21 pm
Gabby Harrington....... she’s one of their top returnees. 12 ppg last season.
I guess I saw Gabbi with a bit lower offensive output, i.e. 7.5 PPG ranking 6th on the team on the Griz stat site.....but she did rank 3rd in rebounding (at only 5-9 tall?) and 3rd in steals at about 1 spg. Her playing time went down a bit this year...wonder if she was getting pinched out by some of the new kids. Always hurts to lose a Redshirt Senior with significant experience that can provide some key minutes even off the bench if nothing else. Interesting....

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:51 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:29 pm
mslacat wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:16 pm
I would pencil in Kola as the favorite right now to start at the 4. That said there are some talented freshmen coming in that could also give her a run for her money at the spot, if she doe not put in the work. Also though If one of the freshman or existing reserves comes on strong, I could also see Kola possibly beating Skye for the starting 5 spot, There are a lot of balls in the air right, and a lot of talented players vying for starting spots and minutes. The only player I have inked in for a starting spot is White. Martell is damn close to a lock also, but there is a very out side chance one of these extremely talented incoming guard could bump her back to the sixth man. The 3 spot (or third guard) is where the real competition could come Jackson, Beattie, Ranson and Limardo will all be in mix there and I am excited as hell to how that shakes out to be the starter, because I have a feeling out of that mix we are going to get a Bobcat great in a year or two. As I said earlier 20-21 team will be a guard oriented an much more up and down the court team. That may dictate the the need for 4 and 5 that can get up and down the court quickly. Again that sounds like a Kola.
All good thoughts. But there are a couple junior "recovery projects" on the team....are we thinking they can't make it back? Do you expect them to depart the team? They would provide a little more maturity on the court.

Appears you are discounting a recovery by VanSickle as a guard? Hard to judge since she hasn't spent enough time on the court for us to see. Remember VanSickle was 1st team all-state in 5A large school division in Colorado and "nominated" for McDonald's All American. She made over 40% from the arc in high school and 50% overall from the field. She has essentially missed over a year and a half of basketball other than practice. It seems like an eon ago but she did make 28 3s as a freshman for the Bobcats! Can she get there or is she too far behind... or even on her best days when healthy would she not make it against this group of incoming freshmen?

Mochhi? Should we write her off too? What I like about Mochhi (besides her positive attitude) is her size at 6-1 and bulk to push people around kinda like Freiji. She is certainly more a "4" than a "5". She played tentative all year... definitely nursing the arm after surgery....and Coach wanted her to focus on getting well. Can she get there? Will she depart?
You were right I forgot about Van Sickle and she if healthy she could add another important cog to our guards. She is probably the only true point guard on the squad, and she did a great job her freshman year as our back up point guard.

I did not forget about Mochhi, I just did not mention her. Here freshman year she played quite well in a reserve role, but she lost that role to Kola plus the addition of Freiji. I think she is going to be playing a big role next year and maybe even give Skye a run for her money. She is a tough big girl but also has good ball skills and can shoot from deep. All she needs is PT on the floor to build her confidence. I think our core front line will be Skye, Kola and Mochi and one of the freshman being the fourth. Maybe it is home town loyalty/prejudouss but I think that player will be Lexi Deden. I thin sh is a very complimentary player to those three plus she can good in the open court.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:03 pm

mslacat wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:51 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:29 pm
mslacat wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:16 pm
I would pencil in Kola as the favorite right now to start at the 4. That said there are some talented freshmen coming in that could also give her a run for her money at the spot, if she doe not put in the work. Also though If one of the freshman or existing reserves comes on strong, I could also see Kola possibly beating Skye for the starting 5 spot, There are a lot of balls in the air right, and a lot of talented players vying for starting spots and minutes. The only player I have inked in for a starting spot is White. Martell is damn close to a lock also, but there is a very out side chance one of these extremely talented incoming guard could bump her back to the sixth man. The 3 spot (or third guard) is where the real competition could come Jackson, Beattie, Ranson and Limardo will all be in mix there and I am excited as hell to how that shakes out to be the starter, because I have a feeling out of that mix we are going to get a Bobcat great in a year or two. As I said earlier 20-21 team will be a guard oriented an much more up and down the court team. That may dictate the the need for 4 and 5 that can get up and down the court quickly. Again that sounds like a Kola.
All good thoughts. But there are a couple junior "recovery projects" on the team....are we thinking they can't make it back? Do you expect them to depart the team? They would provide a little more maturity on the court.

Appears you are discounting a recovery by VanSickle as a guard? Hard to judge since she hasn't spent enough time on the court for us to see. Remember VanSickle was 1st team all-state in 5A large school division in Colorado and "nominated" for McDonald's All American. She made over 40% from the arc in high school and 50% overall from the field. She has essentially missed over a year and a half of basketball other than practice. It seems like an eon ago but she did make 28 3s as a freshman for the Bobcats! Can she get there or is she too far behind... or even on her best days when healthy would she not make it against this group of incoming freshmen?

Mochhi? Should we write her off too? What I like about Mochhi (besides her positive attitude) is her size at 6-1 and bulk to push people around kinda like Freiji. She is certainly more a "4" than a "5". She played tentative all year... definitely nursing the arm after surgery....and Coach wanted her to focus on getting well. Can she get there? Will she depart?
You were right I forgot about Van Sickle and she if healthy she could add another important cog to our guards. She is probably the only true point guard on the squad, and she did a great job her freshman year as our back up point guard.

I did not forget about Mochhi, I just did not mention her. Here freshman year she played quite well in a reserve role, but she lost that role to Kola plus the addition of Freiji. I think she is going to be playing a big role next year and maybe even give Skye a run for her money. She is a tough big girl but also has good ball skills and can shoot from deep. All she needs is PT on the floor to build her confidence. I think our core front line will be Skye, Kola and Mochi and one of the freshman being the fourth. Maybe it is home town loyalty/prejudouss but I think that player will be Lexi Deden. I thin sh is a very complimentary player to those three plus she can good in the open court.
In 20-20 hindsight, I almost wished Mocchi had taken a red-shirt year to recover from surgery. With the emergence of Kola, Madison she could have. Her playing time was pretty limited and she may have come back next year stronger and better ready to compete...... rather than start the season nursing an injury/surgery and never able to catch up. Guess, you never know as she may have played a greater role if we had experienced an injury or two. I am certainly not the one to question the Coach on this one... but

Good comments all.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:04 am

I would be interested to hear why you are discounting Kola? She will be another year older and stronger.
Oh, sorry if it sounded that way. I don’t discount Kola at all — in fact, she is one of my favorites. But I see her playing where she did this year when she was backing up Fallyn in Coach’s 4-out 1-in stuff. I was just thinking of someone to fill the Smith + Braxton = 40 minutes position. I think Kola will become an excellent 4 / rover in the offense. She runs the floor, she has good shooting range, and has the agility to guard mismatches when they are switching on screens. Gonna be big shoes to fill in both of those jobs, but Kola got so much better over the year I’m not too worried there. Not sure who might challenge her or back her up? Where does Gabby fit in? Kola was getting some live-fire minutes in the tournament so I think Coach must be gaining some trust in her.

[Update: I just saw the discussions about Gabby as well. I hope she stays and finds her place. We can use her.]

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:22 am

Has women’s basketball ever had this much off-season attention? Well, they earned it.

While we are at it, what of Sidney Zieske? Lost in the mix?

This team is loaded. Coach Binford said she thought four of the six freshmen could compete for starting positions. This year we played with 7-8 starters. Can we improve on that? I enjoy the helpless looks on the opposing faces when they see “the reserves” getting ready to check in. I know it will take time to gel a whole new team, but once they do, look out!

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:32 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:22 am
Has women’s basketball ever had this much off-season attention? Well, they earned it.

This team is loaded. Coach Binford said she thought four of the six freshmen could compete for starting positions. This year we played with 7-8 starters. Can we improve on that? I enjoy the helpless looks on the opposing faces when they see “the reserves” getting ready to check in. I know it will take time to gel a whole new team, but once they do, look out!
Helpless and Hopeless. Let's hope that continues. Really excited for the future of this program!!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:07 pm

Women's basketball has 15 full ride scholarships so that's a lot more players than minutes available. A couple will probably red shirt, there's always a chance of an injury or two, and some players will just end up with a limited role. Binford and staff's biggest challenge might be trying to keep everybody reasonably happy with their minutes or lack thereof. It's a good problem to have. My starting lineup is White, Martell, Jackson, Bad Bear, and Lindsay. If any of our freshmen can knock one of those players off a spot they will have to be really really good and that would be awesome for the Bobcats.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:18 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:22 am

I remember several games where Zieske came in late and immediately started dropping in 3s. Could be a very valuable reserve.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:16 am

Along with Zieske we also have 5-11 G/F Kenzie Stumne who will be coming off a redshirt year, that we might see in the mix for playing time.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:34 am

My favorite incoming player has to be Ava Ranson. I'm not even sure why, but she just impresses me. With White manning the PG spot, where does she best fit in and how do you guys think she'll be used as a freshman?

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:04 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:34 am
My favorite incoming player has to be Ava Ranson. I'm not even sure why, but she just impresses me. With White manning the PG spot, where does she best fit in and how do you guys think she'll be used as a freshman?
Agreed. She and Darien are friends from Boise, albeit rival high schools. I think of Tori as a shooting guard — an ace 3-pt shooter. I think of Ava, for now, as a scoring guard. She just sticks the ball in the hoop. She’ll make a lot more trips to the free-throw line. What I’m seeing is a guard trio of Darian, Tori, and with Ava filling Oliana’s spot. Big shoes to fill, but that’s my guess. Madison gets to have a say in this as well — but I think it will be hard to keep Ava off the court.
Last edited by Bobcat4Ever on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:08 am

mslacat wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:16 am
Along with Zieske we also have 5-11 G/F Kenzie Stumne who will be coming off a redshirt year, that we might see in the mix for playing time.
Good grief! I think of her and then forget her again. Well, the ‘Cats practices might be between the two best teams in the league. Minutes will be shared for sure, but one thing makes that work — winning!

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:15 am

Can the season start early? I miss sports! I know it’s important to keep people alive, but I’m struggling without any sports on TV!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:17 am

Catlady wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:15 am
Can the season start early? I miss sports! I know it’s important to keep people alive, but I’m struggling without any sports on TV!
=D^ =D^

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:05 pm

Just reflecting as I sit here tonight....... Exactly one month ago tonight my bride and I were checking into our Idaho hotel preparing to watch the Bobcat Ladies in their opening round game the next day, March 10th. My oh my has the world changed since then....seems like that was forever ago! Still feeling bad for our great student athletes...but understanding the situation for all.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:14 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:39 pm
And not to leave out Montana’s own Lexi Deden! This mslacat knows WBB.
A Lexi Deden article ...

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... e2510.html

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Thu May 21, 2020 12:36 pm

Just saw the NCAA approved voluntary workouts starting 6/1. What does that mean for the Bobcats? Is Binford going to take advantage of the workout time to get the Freshmen in the weight room? Can we hire coaches with the hiring freeze? How do we bring in freshmen in a Covid-19 environment? Do they still live in dorms? Who are the leaders on this team? I think losing two of our coaches are going to make our season a little difficult. Players haven’t worked out together since March 😳!
Is there a summer school?