Cure worse than the problem?

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Post Reply
User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9899
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Cure worse than the problem?

Post by wbtfg » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:55 am

The other day President Trump tweeted "WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF."

I'm curious where people fall on this. How do you weigh the cost/benefit of keeping our people healthy vs keeping the economy healthy?

If we send everyone back to work, will that completely overwhelm our healthcare system? If we keep everyone home, do we pay send them all government checks?

I certainly don't know the answer to this, and I don't think anyone does. It will be interesting to see how things play out in the coming weeks.



User avatar
cats2506
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8274
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:35 pm
Location: Lewistown

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by cats2506 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:33 pm

There is more to it than than, but yes we need to get the country back to work, otherwise more will die from the economic collapse than from the Chinese Virus. The plan is to start opening things up again but maintain hygiene and social distancing. This 2 weeks which may (probably) be extended another week has been primarily to train the people that things have changed and for us to find way to operate in different ways that don't spread the virus as bad. A large part of the population will eventually get it and we need to to get "herd immunity" but until then, we need to slow its spread so that medical can handle it and give people time to find treatments, build more ventilators for those seriously affected and do other things that help stem the tide.

I feel somewhat isolated form it, I live in a county that has not had a case, neither have any of the surrounding counties. The company I work for has instituted measures, no visitors except vendors and truckers and they for the most part stay outside, hand sanitizer everywhere, keep distance, anyone that has gone on commercial flights are home quarantined, surfaces that many people touch (copier, timeclock ect...) are wiped every half hour. I dont see these measures changing for quite a while. I foresee that when restaurants reopen there will be occupancy limits.

Just because they are going to lift some restrictions doesn't mean we are going back to the way business was done a year ago, but we have to get the economy moving again.


PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

hokeyfine
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1148
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:18 am

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by hokeyfine » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:46 pm

i say let each state decide how to best handle things. The federal govt. has gone from denial to OK, well maybe its bad. The governors have been doing a great job(both D and R) in assessing the situation, talking to the experts, and assuring their people. I am not for bailing out big corporations. We need to focus on small businesses and the working poor. i don't need the $1000, but i will not turn away free money(not free, im sure it will be taxed like the last $600)



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5037
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by iaafan » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:55 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:33 pm
1)There is more to it than than, but yes we need to get the country back to work,
2) otherwise more will die from the economic collapse than from the Chinese Virus.
3) The plan is to start opening things up again but maintain hygiene and social distancing.
4) This 2 weeks which may (probably) be extended another week has been primarily to train the people that things have changed and for us to find way to operate in different ways that don't spread the virus as bad.
5)A large part of the population will eventually get it and we need to to get "herd immunity" but until then, we need to slow its spread so that medical can handle it and give people time to find treatments, build more ventilators for those seriously affected and do other things that help stem the tide.

I feel somewhat isolated form it, I live in a county that has not had a case, neither have any of the surrounding counties. The company I work for has instituted measures, no visitors except vendors and truckers and they for the most part stay outside, hand sanitizer everywhere, keep distance, anyone that has gone on commercial flights are home quarantined, surfaces that many people touch (copier, timeclock ect...) are wiped every half hour. I dont see these measures changing for quite a while. I foresee that when restaurants reopen there will be occupancy limits.

6) Just because they are going to lift some restrictions doesn't mean we are going back to the way business was done a year ago, but we have to get the economy moving again.
1) you make it sound like the country is entirely shut down.
2) how do you know that? (Link?)
3) already the case.
4) link?
5) define large.


The economy isn’t gonna start moving again if people don’t feel safe going to businesses. What you’ll have under that scenario is a struggling economy with a nation full of sick people causing a long drawn out recession that lasts for years. People going to beach and bars and Sunday mass on the government’s OK just like were (still are?) last week.



User avatar
cats2506
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8274
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:35 pm
Location: Lewistown

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by cats2506 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:42 pm

hokeyfine wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:46 pm
i say let each state decide how to best handle things. The federal govt. has gone from denial to OK, well maybe its bad. The governors have been doing a great job(both D and R) in assessing the situation, talking to the experts, and assuring their people. I am not for bailing out big corporations. We need to focus on small businesses and the working poor. i don't need the $1000, but i will not turn away free money(not free, im sure it will be taxed like the last $600)
I don't think the federal government was in denial, they instituted a travel ban from China in January, at the time much of the media was in denial by saying that it was racist to do so. The situation is pretty unprecedented, if you look at how the US is handling it compared to some other countries I think we are doing pretty good. Corporations like Boeing are going to need help to survive, we depend on these types of companies for national security, they have had a bad year (not virus related) and with this on top they may go under, they employ a ****** of people. I dont need the $1000 either and would rather it went to business (large and small) to keep them going, but some have been laied off or no longer have jobs, they need the $1000.


PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

User avatar
cats2506
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8274
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:35 pm
Location: Lewistown

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by cats2506 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:51 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:55 pm
cats2506 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:33 pm
1)There is more to it than than, but yes we need to get the country back to work,
2) otherwise more will die from the economic collapse than from the Chinese Virus.
3) The plan is to start opening things up again but maintain hygiene and social distancing.
4) This 2 weeks which may (probably) be extended another week has been primarily to train the people that things have changed and for us to find way to operate in different ways that don't spread the virus as bad.
5)A large part of the population will eventually get it and we need to to get "herd immunity" but until then, we need to slow its spread so that medical can handle it and give people time to find treatments, build more ventilators for those seriously affected and do other things that help stem the tide.

I feel somewhat isolated form it, I live in a county that has not had a case, neither have any of the surrounding counties. The company I work for has instituted measures, no visitors except vendors and truckers and they for the most part stay outside, hand sanitizer everywhere, keep distance, anyone that has gone on commercial flights are home quarantined, surfaces that many people touch (copier, timeclock ect...) are wiped every half hour. I dont see these measures changing for quite a while. I foresee that when restaurants reopen there will be occupancy limits.

6) Just because they are going to lift some restrictions doesn't mean we are going back to the way business was done a year ago, but we have to get the economy moving again.
1) you make it sound like the country is entirely shut down.
2) how do you know that? (Link?)
3) already the case.
4) link?
5) define large.


The economy isn’t gonna start moving again if people don’t feel safe going to businesses. What you’ll have under that scenario is a struggling economy with a nation full of sick people causing a long drawn out recession that lasts for years. People going to beach and bars and Sunday mass on the government’s OK just like were (still are?) last week.
1. in many places it is, our company sells to major food distributors internationally, we have many orders on hold, waiting because there is no one to install our product because it is restricted right now.
2. common sense, history, I dunno just look around and a prolonged economic disaster will kill lots more than the few hundred that have died from this virus. At a current 1.2% fatality rate the virus isn't as bad as projected.
3. not everywhere, it will open up more on a case by case basis though.
4. watch the last 2-3 days of the corona virus task force press conferences, maybe you will see what they are talking about.
5.at about 60% we gain "herd immunity", it may take a few years but we will get there, again, pay attention to what the task force and the CDC are saying.
6. what was the question


PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

User avatar
Cledus
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4472
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:18 pm
Location: Billings Heights

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by Cledus » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:24 pm

There is nothing we can do to fix the supply chain issue. China has 30% of the world's manufacturing and for awhile 70% of their factories were shuttered. So there's a giant ripple effect. A single automobile has more than 30,000 different parts. So if even one of those parts can't be produced, an assembly factory here in the US (or anywhere in the world) can't put together a car. That's just cars.

There are also consumer electronics (e.g. Apple, Samsung), computers, pharmaceuticals, etc. Every single company in the Fortune 500 is exposed to China.

No amount of stimulus can fix supply chain issues.

That's before we start talking about debt and leverage. If you have a loan, your bank is leveraged. They in turn have instruments and agreements with counterparties that are leveraged. And on and on. There are several layers of leverage.

Do the insurance companies have enough cash to cover their exposure right now? If you think yes, you are dumb.

This house of cards can't be propped up anymore and everything will unwind in the next couple years. The world you knew six months ago is gone forever and things will probably never be the same again in our lifetimes for any of us.

This is what is meant by the cure is worse than the problem. It's a true Catch-22, where you're screwed by anything you do.


UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

77matcat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2453
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by 77matcat » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:29 pm

https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/608215/

Here are a few facts.

It appears we were caught with our proverbial pants down. We all hope the curve flattens and we’ve seen the worst of this virus both physically and economically.

I’ll support provisions supported by Dr Fauci



91catAlum
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6936
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: Clancy, MT

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:20 am

At some point in time, the cure does become worse than the disease. For example if we shut the economy down for a full year, we'll have unemployment around 70-80%, permanently closed businesses, empty store shelves, people killing each other for a roll of TP. Basically we'll be Venezuela and we won't really have a country anymore. We'd have more people dying of starvation, murder, and all the diseases that come when you don't have sanitation and sewer services in a society.

But if Trump thinks we'll have things back by Easter, he's high. The best we can hope for is probably around June 1, absolute best-case scenario. More likely July, it sounds like.


Image
24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 13898
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:48 am

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:20 am
At some point in time, the cure does become worse than the disease. For example if we shut the economy down for a full year, we'll have unemployment around 70-80%, permanently closed businesses, empty store shelves, people killing each other for a roll of TP. Basically we'll be Venezuela and we won't really have a country anymore. We'd have more people dying of starvation, murder, and all the diseases that come when you don't have sanitation and sewer services in a society.

But if Trump thinks we'll have things back by Easter, he's high. The best we can hope for is probably around June 1, absolute best-case scenario. More likely July, it sounds like.
Trump is hoping by Easter, because he thinks that would be a “beautiful time” for everyone to get some positive news. He’s a religious person and it’s a nice thought for the more devout Christians in America.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

User avatar
cats2506
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8274
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:35 pm
Location: Lewistown

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by cats2506 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:06 am

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:20 am
At some point in time, the cure does become worse than the disease. For example if we shut the economy down for a full year, we'll have unemployment around 70-80%, permanently closed businesses, empty store shelves, people killing each other for a roll of TP. Basically we'll be Venezuela and we won't really have a country anymore. We'd have more people dying of starvation, murder, and all the diseases that come when you don't have sanitation and sewer services in a society.

But if Trump thinks we'll have things back by Easter, he's high. The best we can hope for is probably around June 1, absolute best-case scenario. More likely July, it sounds like.
He didn't say that the economy would be back by Easter. The point was that hopefully some of the restrictions would be lifted by then and the country could start moving in the right direction. I don't know where you are getting this idea that Trump thinks that everything will be OK by Easter but maybe you should watch something else. The hope is that by about Easter we will have our medical facilities prepared enough and the population centers will have peaked in infections that we can start to move forward.

This is about as ridiculous as saying that he told that guy to take fish tank cleaner as a cure for the virus.


PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5037
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by iaafan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:01 am

cats2506 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:06 am
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:20 am
At some point in time, the cure does become worse than the disease. For example if we shut the economy down for a full year, we'll have unemployment around 70-80%, permanently closed businesses, empty store shelves, people killing each other for a roll of TP. Basically we'll be Venezuela and we won't really have a country anymore. We'd have more people dying of starvation, murder, and all the diseases that come when you don't have sanitation and sewer services in a society.

But if Trump thinks we'll have things back by Easter, he's high. The best we can hope for is probably around June 1, absolute best-case scenario. More likely July, it sounds like.
He didn't say that the economy would be back by Easter. The point was that hopefully some of the restrictions would be lifted by then and the country could start moving in the right direction. I don't know where you are getting this idea that Trump thinks that everything will be OK by Easter but maybe you should watch something else. The hope is that by about Easter we will have our medical facilities prepared enough and the population centers will have peaked in infections that we can start to move forward.

This is about as ridiculous as saying that he told that guy to take fish tank cleaner as a cure for the virus.
I don't see where 91 said that Trump said the economy would be back by Easter. He says "things" back by Easter and then for context says best we can hope for is around June 1. Not sure why you're trying to twist his words around. It's often difficult to understand just what Trump means when he says something.



User avatar
cats2506
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8274
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:35 pm
Location: Lewistown

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by cats2506 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:05 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:01 am
cats2506 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:06 am
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:20 am
At some point in time, the cure does become worse than the disease. For example if we shut the economy down for a full year, we'll have unemployment around 70-80%, permanently closed businesses, empty store shelves, people killing each other for a roll of TP. Basically we'll be Venezuela and we won't really have a country anymore. We'd have more people dying of starvation, murder, and all the diseases that come when you don't have sanitation and sewer services in a society.

But if Trump thinks we'll have things back by Easter, he's high. The best we can hope for is probably around June 1, absolute best-case scenario. More likely July, it sounds like.
He didn't say that the economy would be back by Easter. The point was that hopefully some of the restrictions would be lifted by then and the country could start moving in the right direction. I don't know where you are getting this idea that Trump thinks that everything will be OK by Easter but maybe you should watch something else. The hope is that by about Easter we will have our medical facilities prepared enough and the population centers will have peaked in infections that we can start to move forward.

This is about as ridiculous as saying that he told that guy to take fish tank cleaner as a cure for the virus.
I don't see where 91 said that Trump said the economy would be back by Easter. He says "things" back by Easter and then for context says best we can hope for is around June 1. Not sure why you're trying to twist his words around. It's often difficult to understand just what Trump means when he says something.
The expectations put out by the WH is June or July. To insinuate that the Administration has abandoned those expectations and is expecting "things to be back" (inferring the economy) by Easter is twisting words in a deceptive way.

It takes one small statement out of a large interview and ignores the rest of the interview or the several days of task force press conferences and statements previous to this.


PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 13898
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:18 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:05 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:01 am
cats2506 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:06 am
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:20 am
At some point in time, the cure does become worse than the disease. For example if we shut the economy down for a full year, we'll have unemployment around 70-80%, permanently closed businesses, empty store shelves, people killing each other for a roll of TP. Basically we'll be Venezuela and we won't really have a country anymore. We'd have more people dying of starvation, murder, and all the diseases that come when you don't have sanitation and sewer services in a society.

But if Trump thinks we'll have things back by Easter, he's high. The best we can hope for is probably around June 1, absolute best-case scenario. More likely July, it sounds like.
He didn't say that the economy would be back by Easter. The point was that hopefully some of the restrictions would be lifted by then and the country could start moving in the right direction. I don't know where you are getting this idea that Trump thinks that everything will be OK by Easter but maybe you should watch something else. The hope is that by about Easter we will have our medical facilities prepared enough and the population centers will have peaked in infections that we can start to move forward.

This is about as ridiculous as saying that he told that guy to take fish tank cleaner as a cure for the virus.
I don't see where 91 said that Trump said the economy would be back by Easter. He says "things" back by Easter and then for context says best we can hope for is around June 1. Not sure why you're trying to twist his words around. It's often difficult to understand just what Trump means when he says something.
The expectations put out by the WH is June or July. To insinuate that the Administration has abandoned those expectations and is expecting "things to be back" (inferring the economy) by Easter is twisting words in a deceptive way.

It takes one small statement out of a large interview and ignores the rest of the interview or the several days of task force press conferences and statements previous to this.
Even a lot of Trump backers get confused by Trump’s words and his actual stance. It appears that 91catalum isn’t sure, since his exact words are “if Trump thinks” and those are perfect words. “If” and “thinks” imply that it is unknown what Trump thinks. Trump’s comment were on a Fox special and moments later he didn’t say anything about Easter. So he was probably playing to his audience on Fox, which consists of older, religious (Xtians) viewers. It was a warm, fuzzy for them to be sure.

If you’re the president and you make these comments it’s up to you to be clear about what you’re saying or you get beat up by the press. Happens to all presidents. Trump just says whatever though and says the media is nasty, enemy of the people if they take in a way he didn’t intend. It’s very refreshing.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

User avatar
cats2506
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8274
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:35 pm
Location: Lewistown

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by cats2506 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:34 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:18 pm
cats2506 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:05 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:01 am
cats2506 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:06 am
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:20 am
At some point in time, the cure does become worse than the disease. For example if we shut the economy down for a full year, we'll have unemployment around 70-80%, permanently closed businesses, empty store shelves, people killing each other for a roll of TP. Basically we'll be Venezuela and we won't really have a country anymore. We'd have more people dying of starvation, murder, and all the diseases that come when you don't have sanitation and sewer services in a society.

But if Trump thinks we'll have things back by Easter, he's high. The best we can hope for is probably around June 1, absolute best-case scenario. More likely July, it sounds like.
He didn't say that the economy would be back by Easter. The point was that hopefully some of the restrictions would be lifted by then and the country could start moving in the right direction. I don't know where you are getting this idea that Trump thinks that everything will be OK by Easter but maybe you should watch something else. The hope is that by about Easter we will have our medical facilities prepared enough and the population centers will have peaked in infections that we can start to move forward.

This is about as ridiculous as saying that he told that guy to take fish tank cleaner as a cure for the virus.
I don't see where 91 said that Trump said the economy would be back by Easter. He says "things" back by Easter and then for context says best we can hope for is around June 1. Not sure why you're trying to twist his words around. It's often difficult to understand just what Trump means when he says something.
The expectations put out by the WH is June or July. To insinuate that the Administration has abandoned those expectations and is expecting "things to be back" (inferring the economy) by Easter is twisting words in a deceptive way.

It takes one small statement out of a large interview and ignores the rest of the interview or the several days of task force press conferences and statements previous to this.
Even a lot of Trump backers get confused by Trump’s words and his actual stance. It appears that 91catalum isn’t sure, since his exact words are “if Trump thinks” and those are perfect words. “If” and “thinks” imply that it is unknown what Trump thinks. Trump’s comment were on a Fox special and moments later he didn’t say anything about Easter. So he was probably playing to his audience on Fox, which consists of older, religious (Xtians) viewers. It was a warm, fuzzy for them to be sure.

If you’re the president and you make these comments it’s up to you to be clear about what you’re saying or you get beat up by the press. Happens to all presidents. Trump just says whatever though and says the media is nasty, enemy of the people if they take in a way he didn’t intend. It’s very refreshing.
Yeah, I watched it and didn't have any trouble understanding what was being said and the points that were emphasized. But if you just watched a 10 second clip on MSDNC I'm sure you would be confused.


PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6936
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: Clancy, MT

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:13 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:05 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:01 am
cats2506 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:06 am
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:20 am
At some point in time, the cure does become worse than the disease. For example if we shut the economy down for a full year, we'll have unemployment around 70-80%, permanently closed businesses, empty store shelves, people killing each other for a roll of TP. Basically we'll be Venezuela and we won't really have a country anymore. We'd have more people dying of starvation, murder, and all the diseases that come when you don't have sanitation and sewer services in a society.

But if Trump thinks we'll have things back by Easter, he's high. The best we can hope for is probably around June 1, absolute best-case scenario. More likely July, it sounds like.
He didn't say that the economy would be back by Easter. The point was that hopefully some of the restrictions would be lifted by then and the country could start moving in the right direction. I don't know where you are getting this idea that Trump thinks that everything will be OK by Easter but maybe you should watch something else. The hope is that by about Easter we will have our medical facilities prepared enough and the population centers will have peaked in infections that we can start to move forward.

This is about as ridiculous as saying that he told that guy to take fish tank cleaner as a cure for the virus.
I don't see where 91 said that Trump said the economy would be back by Easter. He says "things" back by Easter and then for context says best we can hope for is around June 1. Not sure why you're trying to twist his words around. It's often difficult to understand just what Trump means when he says something.
The expectations put out by the WH is June or July. To insinuate that the Administration has abandoned those expectations and is expecting "things to be back" (inferring the economy) by Easter is twisting words in a deceptive way.

It takes one small statement out of a large interview and ignores the rest of the interview or the several days of task force press conferences and statements previous to this.
And you took 1 small sentence out of my whole post and ignored the rest, where I was basically agreeing with Trump that there is a point where the cure becomes worse than the disease. But knock yourself out.
Forgive me for being too vague with "have things back by Easter." Didn't mean to get your panties in a big wad.


Image
24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3565
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:03 pm
Location: Helena

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by KittieKop » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:26 pm

If you also don't understand that, at some point, you need to start giving the population some vague, rough, "we're hoping for this" light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel message, then you don't understand people. At some point in the next several weeks people are going to have had enough of sheltering in their homes, hoarding toilet paper and being out of work that they're going to want more of a message than to say "one more week of this and we'll tell you more", only in one more week to be told.....one more week. Sooner or later people are going to start thinking the other shoe really isn't going to fall, and the precautions everyone has been being trained to abide by are going to start going out the window. I think a "goal" of moving forward - however you want to define forward - is both a reasonable timeline and common sense in needing to provide the American people hope of an end to all this.


"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Image

Rich K
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3507
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Cody WY

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by Rich K » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:00 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:13 pm


And you took 1 small sentence out of my whole post and ignored the rest, where I was basically agreeing with Trump that there is a point where the cure becomes worse than the disease. But knock yourself out.
Forgive me for being too vague with "have things back by Easter." Didn't mean to get your panties in a big wad.
When you mentioned he had to be high to believe it it implies that he was being rather extreme. I don't think what he actually said was extreme. Am I high?


Image

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 13898
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:23 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:34 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:18 pm
cats2506 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:05 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:01 am
cats2506 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:06 am
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:20 am
At some point in time, the cure does become worse than the disease. For example if we shut the economy down for a full year, we'll have unemployment around 70-80%, permanently closed businesses, empty store shelves, people killing each other for a roll of TP. Basically we'll be Venezuela and we won't really have a country anymore. We'd have more people dying of starvation, murder, and all the diseases that come when you don't have sanitation and sewer services in a society.

But if Trump thinks we'll have things back by Easter, he's high. The best we can hope for is probably around June 1, absolute best-case scenario. More likely July, it sounds like.
He didn't say that the economy would be back by Easter. The point was that hopefully some of the restrictions would be lifted by then and the country could start moving in the right direction. I don't know where you are getting this idea that Trump thinks that everything will be OK by Easter but maybe you should watch something else. The hope is that by about Easter we will have our medical facilities prepared enough and the population centers will have peaked in infections that we can start to move forward.

This is about as ridiculous as saying that he told that guy to take fish tank cleaner as a cure for the virus.
I don't see where 91 said that Trump said the economy would be back by Easter. He says "things" back by Easter and then for context says best we can hope for is around June 1. Not sure why you're trying to twist his words around. It's often difficult to understand just what Trump means when he says something.
The expectations put out by the WH is June or July. To insinuate that the Administration has abandoned those expectations and is expecting "things to be back" (inferring the economy) by Easter is twisting words in a deceptive way.

It takes one small statement out of a large interview and ignores the rest of the interview or the several days of task force press conferences and statements previous to this.
Even a lot of Trump backers get confused by Trump’s words and his actual stance. It appears that 91catalum isn’t sure, since his exact words are “if Trump thinks” and those are perfect words. “If” and “thinks” imply that it is unknown what Trump thinks. Trump’s comment were on a Fox special and moments later he didn’t say anything about Easter. So he was probably playing to his audience on Fox, which consists of older, religious (Xtians) viewers. It was a warm, fuzzy for them to be sure.

If you’re the president and you make these comments it’s up to you to be clear about what you’re saying or you get beat up by the press. Happens to all presidents. Trump just says whatever though and says the media is nasty, enemy of the people if they take in a way he didn’t intend. It’s very refreshing.
Yeah, I watched it and didn't have any trouble understanding what was being said and the points that were emphasized. But if you just watched a 10 second clip on MSDNC I'm sure you would be confused.
MSDNC? It’s now evident that you’re looking at it in a partisan way. I thought your were thinking critically. I voted for Trump, but can understand why people are taking him to task. He needs to be clear if he doesn’t want his words to be misconstrued. But I’m probably wasting my time trying to have a discussion with you about it.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 13898
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Cure worse than the problem?

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:28 pm

Ultimately what Trump says has little effect on this situation locally. Most of it is being handled by the states and local governments.

His best move would be to stand back and agree with whatever Fauci and Birx say. He’d look good doing that. Stop trolling Romney and act like he’s taking this seriously.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

Post Reply