WBB 2020-21

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

WBB 2020-21

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:50 pm

We may not be the consensus favorite going into next season. The Big Sky had a lot of good young teams. NAU, ISU, and UNC have almost everybody coming back, Idaho has a lot of young talent, Portland State is really young, etc. But I think our Bobcats are going to be right in the mix. Even if our very talented new freshmen recruits need some time we could be rolling out a starting lineup of Darian White, Tori Martell, Madison Jackson, Kola Bad Bear, and Skye Lindsay. That's pretty impressive to me on paper.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: WBB 2020-21

Post by mslacat » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:23 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:50 pm
We may not be the consensus favorite going into next season. The Big Sky had a lot of good young teams. NAU, ISU, and UNC have almost everybody coming back, Idaho has a lot of young talent, Portland State is really young, etc. But I think our Bobcats are going to be right in the mix. Even if our very talented new freshmen recruits need some time we could be rolling out a starting lineup of Darian White, Tori Martell, Madison Jackson, Kola Bad Bear, and Skye Lindsay. That's pretty impressive to me on paper.
Do not underestimate incoming freshman 6-3 SF Katelynn Limado and 5-9 G Leia Betatie they will push the returnees for playing time and possibly a starting spot. Also I was told by an Idaho basketball person that Idaho native and incoming freshman will be a real good player for MSU as he said "Not quite at the level of Darian White as a senior but probably better than Madison Jackson. I don't know about that but this will be an outstanding incoming freshman class and they are going to make some noise. The 20-21 team will be loaded at the guard so I expect to see a three guard line up a good portion of the time. We will run a little more and shoot from three more.

BTW Does anyone know the story on Ashley Van Sickle. She had a great freshman season as a reserve, but has been struggling with an injury ever since. She say out this year. Did she take a year off as a redshirt to heal and come back in 20-21 or has the nagging injury forced to retire?

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:21 pm

I believe Ashley took a red shirt year. I have not heard that she will retire but agree she has struggled with injuries.

Another unknown is Stumne who was a red shirt this year. Don’t know what to expect from her.

Young teams like we will have next year are known to start slow. But as the season progresses young teams get better and better. I believe they will be in the mix by the end of the year....and watch out the seasons after that.

Remember Coach Binford has said in some meetings that 4 of the 6 new recruits could compete for a starting spot next year..... that says a lot about their skill level.

We will get “bigger” the next two years. We have two 6-2 players in Skye Lindsay and Kola Bad Bear both sophomores next year. Two new recruits Janssen comes in at 6-3+ and Limardo at 6-2+. The following year Hein will join us at 6-6. Another unknown is how 6-1 Mocchi comes back after her arm injury....she was showing progress her first year but her sophomore development year was definitely impacted.

And we have a solid group of guards returning and joining.

It’s just easy to underestimate that leadership we saw displayed time after time by Oli, Madeline, Blair, Martha, and Fallyn and the new team will be searching for their chemistry and leadership.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:42 am

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:48 am

Another lefty!

Last edited by Bobcat4Ever on Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:51 am

Okay, this thing is starting to roll!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:18 pm

And I cannot wait to see Ava on the court next year. Ava scored 21 of her team’s 49 points in the Idaho 5A state championship game as they lost 55-49. This is Ava scoring in the semifinal.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:30 pm

Thank you for posting those Bobcat4Ever! Great looking group of recruits!

standup
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by standup » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:35 pm

Isn't that Darian behind Ava?

it is no more reasonable for me to dictate your fan experience than it is for you to dictate mine

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:16 pm

standup wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:35 pm
Isn't that Darian behind Ava?
Somebody has a great eye! With the 2019 recruits and this years recruits the Bobcats are going to be loaded at the 1-3 for the foreseeable future

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:18 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:30 pm
Thank you for posting those Bobcat4Ever! Great looking group of recruits!
And one more, for good measure! A 6’3” guard/forward in high school at Silver City, NM, Katelynn averaged 24.4 points and 11.1 rebounds per game this year. And, yup, her mother is a coach.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:39 pm

And not to leave out Montana’s own Lexi Deden! This mslacat knows WBB.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:52 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:39 pm
I think Lexi has a real chance to contribute next year. We lose our top four bigs and have a nice crop of players returning and great freshman, but Lexi might be the only true (along with Skye Lindsey) post up rebounding big, We are going to have a lot of bigs next year who like to shoot the three, which if fine as long as you have some bigs that will stay down low and rebound and I think Lexi fir=ts that bill. She has the opportunity

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:25 am

mslacat wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:52 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
I think Lexi has a real chance to contribute next year. We lose our top four bigs and have a nice crop of players returning and great freshman, but Lexi might be the only true (along with Skye Lindsey) post up rebounding big, We are going to have a lot of bigs next year who like to shoot the three, which if fine as long as you have some bigs that will stay down low and rebound and I think Lexi fir=ts that bill. She has the opportunity
My wife, from the 10,000 foot view, asked “Who is going to play in Madeline/Blaire’s position?” That was an excellent question. I said Skye and hmm... It would be great to have another four-year big. Thanks for the insight.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:35 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:25 am
mslacat wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:52 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
My wife, from the 10,000 foot view, asked “Who is going to play in Madeline/Blaire’s position?” That was an excellent question. I said Skye and hmm... It would be great to have another four-year big. Thanks for the insight.
I would be interested to hear why you are discounting Kola? She will be another year older and stronger.

My thoughts are Skye, Kola....and rotating with some of the new recruits. But not familiar enough with the new big recruits to know who can play underneath.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:16 pm

I would pencil in Kola as the favorite right now to start at the 4. That said there are some talented freshmen coming in that could also give her a run for her money at the spot, if she doe not put in the work. Also though If one of the freshman or existing reserves comes on strong, I could also see Kola possibly beating Skye for the starting 5 spot, There are a lot of balls in the air right, and a lot of talented players vying for starting spots and minutes. The only player I have inked in for a starting spot is White. Martell is damn close to a lock also, but there is a very out side chance one of these extremely talented incoming guard could bump her back to the sixth man. The 3 spot (or third guard) is where the real competition could come Jackson, Beattie, Ranson and Limardo will all be in mix there and I am excited as hell to how that shakes out to be the starter, because I have a feeling out of that mix we are going to get a Bobcat great in a year or two. As I said earlier 20-21 team will be a guard oriented an much more up and down the court team. That may dictate the the need for 4 and 5 that can get up and down the court quickly. Again that sounds like a Kola.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:33 pm

I see Skye anchoring at 5 and Kola at 4 and that’s a formidable front court. I don’t think we’ll have the depth that we did this year at 4 and 5. I know that was a difference maker, but the Madeline/Blaire set up was unusual. I’m high on Jackson and have her at the 3. White at point and maybe Martell at the two. But besides the 3 point shooting Martell might be challenged for playing time if Binford focuses on defense. The team could use another summer in the weight room. Hoping the freshman are as good as advertised. I see the Griz lost another player to transfer

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:53 pm

Catlady wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:33 pm
I see Skye anchoring at 5 and Kola at 4 and that’s a formidable front court. I don’t think we’ll have the depth that we did this year at 4 and 5. I know that was a difference maker, but the Madeline/Blaire set up was unusual. I’m high on Jackson and have her at the 3. White at point and maybe Martell at the two. But besides the 3 point shooting Martell might be challenged for playing time if Binford focuses on defense. The team could use another summer in the weight room. Hoping the freshman are as good as advertised. I see the Griz lost another player to transfer
Interesting. The player the griz lost, anyone that might have made a difference or a definite non-starter?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:21 pm

Gabby Harrington....... she’s one of their top returnees. 12 ppg last season.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:29 pm

mslacat wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:16 pm
I would pencil in Kola as the favorite right now to start at the 4. That said there are some talented freshmen coming in that could also give her a run for her money at the spot, if she doe not put in the work. Also though If one of the freshman or existing reserves comes on strong, I could also see Kola possibly beating Skye for the starting 5 spot, There are a lot of balls in the air right, and a lot of talented players vying for starting spots and minutes. The only player I have inked in for a starting spot is White. Martell is damn close to a lock also, but there is a very out side chance one of these extremely talented incoming guard could bump her back to the sixth man. The 3 spot (or third guard) is where the real competition could come Jackson, Beattie, Ranson and Limardo will all be in mix there and I am excited as hell to how that shakes out to be the starter, because I have a feeling out of that mix we are going to get a Bobcat great in a year or two. As I said earlier 20-21 team will be a guard oriented an much more up and down the court team. That may dictate the the need for 4 and 5 that can get up and down the court quickly. Again that sounds like a Kola.
All good thoughts. But there are a couple junior "recovery projects" on the team....are we thinking they can't make it back? Do you expect them to depart the team? They would provide a little more maturity on the court.

Appears you are discounting a recovery by VanSickle as a guard? Hard to judge since she hasn't spent enough time on the court for us to see. Remember VanSickle was 1st team all-state in 5A large school division in Colorado and "nominated" for McDonald's All American. She made over 40% from the arc in high school and 50% overall from the field. She has essentially missed over a year and a half of basketball other than practice. It seems like an eon ago but she did make 28 3s as a freshman for the Bobcats! Can she get there or is she too far behind... or even on her best days when healthy would she not make it against this group of incoming freshmen?

Mochhi? Should we write her off too? What I like about Mochhi (besides her positive attitude) is her size at 6-1 and bulk to push people around kinda like Freiji. She is certainly more a "4" than a "5". She played tentative all year... definitely nursing the arm after surgery....and Coach wanted her to focus on getting well. Can she get there? Will she depart?