Men's and Women's NCAA tourneys without fans

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kmax
Site Admin

Men's and Women's NCAA tourneys without fans

Post by kmax » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:00 pm

Wow...that is going to be a weird experience for everyone.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... nt-go-fans

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

NCAA Bans Fans from All NCAA Tournament Games

Post by PapaG » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:14 pm

Men’s and women’s. I posted it on this board for more visibility. I have tickets to Spokane that thankfully we got directly from the NCAA lottery. Lady Bobcat fans could be impacted greatly, too.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/coll ... story.html

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: NCAA Bans Fans from All NCAA Tournament Games

Post by PapaG » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:16 pm

March Sadness

What a ride

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Men's and Women's NCAA tourneys without fans

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:40 pm

Really sucks! Much of the fun of march madness is the crowds, cheerleaders, personal stories.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:51 pm

I wonder if all games are going to be played in their original scheduled locations. Theoretically, you could put 4 courts in a military airplane hanger and have all the games there.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:58 pm

This is just stupid.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:00 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:51 pm
I wonder if all games are going to be played in their original scheduled locations. Theoretically, you could put 4 courts in a military airplane hanger and have all the games there.
I’m just wondering why I can’t drive to attend basketball games in Spokane next week, yet there is zero disruption to the public transit here in Portland with a metro population of over 2.5 million people. If you’ve ever been on a bus or the MAX here, it’s basically a moving germ mobile.

What a ride

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:04 pm

Wow. That's not gonna make the host city arenas happy, they lose all that revenue plus it's too late for them to back out and book something else for next weekend.

Not to mention the cancelled hotels, restaurants, etc etc.
Ouch! Huge hit to all those cities.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:04 pm

PapaG wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:00 pm
wbtfg wrote:
I’m just wondering why I can’t drive to attend basketball games in Spokane next week, yet there is zero disruption to the public transit here in Portland with a metro population of over 2.5 million people. If you’ve ever been on a bus or the MAX here, it’s basically a moving germ mobile.
There are certainly no shortage of questions that could be asked....no doubt about it.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:08 pm

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:57 pm

PapaG wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Germs don't have an R0 (R-naught) of 6.7, an incubation period of 14 days, or a case fatality rate of 5.8%.

This spectator ban places a higher value over human life than short-term pleasure, gain, economic activity, etc. It's a sensible precaution.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:12 pm

Playing in empty arenas should give an advantage to the winner of the Big Sky tourney, right?

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:27 pm

Nonsense, what if I want to go at my own risk, I'll sign a waiver. I can have a whole section to myself

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:39 pm

Cledus wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:57 pm
PapaG wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Germs don't have an R0 (R-naught) of 6.7, an incubation period of 14 days, or a case fatality rate of 5.8%.

This spectator ban places a higher value over human life than short-term pleasure, gain, economic activity, etc. It's a sensible precaution.
Curious where you got 5.8% mortality rate?

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:55 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:39 pm
Cledus wrote:
PapaG wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

I calculated it myself from the data I found here: Worldometers

Go to the "Closed Cases" section. It's right near the top. 4,627/(4,627+72,867)

The case fatality rate has been climbing all week. It started the week at 5.4%. Compare that with the case fatality rate for the flu, which is 0.1%.

If you want to know more, a guy named Chris Martinson has a channel on YouTube called Peak Prosperity. He's putting out daily updates. He's very good and a trained pathologist. It's the first thing I watch when I get home from work.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:48 pm

Cledus wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:55 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Cledus wrote:
PapaG wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

The case fatality rate has been climbing all week. It started the week at 5.4%. Compare that with the case fatality rate for the flu, which is 0.1%.

If you want to know more, a guy named Chris Martinson has a channel on YouTube called Peak Prosperity. He's putting out daily updates. He's very good and a trained pathologist. It's the first thing I watch when I get home from work.
This is also why people are hoarding hand sanitizer and toilet paper.

Here's another perspective:
https://time.com/5798168/coronavirus-mortality-rate/

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:51 pm

Cledus wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Cledus wrote:
PapaG wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

That number is way too high from everything I've read. This is from the BBC:

"On Tuesday, the World Health Organization's Director General, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said that "globally, about 3.4% of reported Covid-19 cases have died".

Scientists' estimate of the death rate is lower because not all cases are reported.

On Sunday, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said the UK government's "very best assessment" was that the mortality rate was "2% or, likely, lower".

But it depends on a range of factors: your age, sex and general health and the health system you are in."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:00 pm

New York Times: WHO also says the 3.4% estimate is probably high.

"Is 3.4 percent a misleading number? We spoke to a number of experts in epidemiology, and they all agreed that 1 percent was probably more realistic (the W.H.O. has also said the number would probably fall). But they also said evidence about the spread and severity of the disease was still too new and spotty to know for sure"

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... -know.html

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:09 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:51 pm
Cledus wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Cledus wrote:
PapaG wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

"On Tuesday, the World Health Organization's Director General, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said that "globally, about 3.4% of reported Covid-19 cases have died".

Scientists' estimate of the death rate is lower because not all cases are reported.

On Sunday, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said the UK government's "very best assessment" was that the mortality rate was "2% or, likely, lower".

But it depends on a range of factors: your age, sex and general health and the health system you are in."
I used global numbers. Second, he’s counting total cases that are still active where the virus has not yet run it’s course, for better or worse. His denominator is too big. You can’t include people in computing a case fatality rate who have just been diagnosed. That’s what he’s doing.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:04 am

:cry:
Cledus wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:09 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:51 pm
Cledus wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Cledus wrote:
PapaG wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

I used global numbers. Second, he’s counting total cases that are still active where the virus has not yet run it’s course, for better or worse. His denominator is too big. You can’t include people in computing a case fatality rate who have just been diagnosed. That’s what he’s doing.
And what about all the people who have symptoms so mild that they don't even go to the doctor or get tested, and thus aren't counted in those numbers??

Your 5.8 number is way overstated and simply not accurate, according to what doctors, scientists, and WHO officials are telling the media. And will only serve to add to the panic and hysteria already happening.