Big Sky Semifinals: #1 MSU vs #5 NAU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Big Sky Semifinals: #1 MSU vs #5 NAU

Post by MSU01 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:24 pm

The Bobcats get NAU again two weeks after making a big second half comeback against them on Senior Day. NAU beat the Griz by 3 after being swept by them in the regular season. I expect another close, hard-fought game like the one today. Go Cats!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Big Sky Semifinals: #1 MSU vs #5 NAU

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:39 pm

I think NAU has a lot of confidence knowing they almost knocked us off in Bozeman recently. I think it's about time someone has a bad game against us again. We have to play better than today. I think we will.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:47 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:39 pm
I think NAU has a lot of confidence knowing they almost knocked us off in Bozeman recently. I think it's about time someone has a bad game against us again. We have to play better than today. I think we will.
I think that what happened today was the best possible thing to happen to this team. That early morning game against a team that already had a chance to play in the arena and built a little confidence/momentum is always ripe for an upset, in every tournament setting. Playing a team like UNCU will prepare us much better for NAU compared to playing a team like Sac State, who we would have blown out of the building and done nothing to help toughen us up for the road ahead. I think they probably got some of the butterflies out today, playing as the overwhelming favorite can be a really tough thing.

On another note, sad to see the Lady griz choke today, they probably wanted to avoid another notch in the W column for the Brawl of the Wild series. Would have been fun to see the ladies bowl a turkey against those turkeys.

GO CATS GO!!!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:52 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:47 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:39 pm
I think that what happened today was the best possible thing to happen to this team. That early morning game against a team that already had a chance to play in the arena and built a little confidence/momentum is always ripe for an upset, in every tournament setting. Playing a team like UNCU will prepare us much better for NAU compared to playing a team like Sac State, who we would have blown out of the building and done nothing to help toughen us up for the road ahead. I think they probably got some of the butterflies out today, playing as the overwhelming favorite can be a really tough thing.

On another note, sad to see the Lady griz choke today, they probably wanted to avoid another notch in the W column for the Brawl of the Wild series. Would have been fun to see the ladies bowl a turkey against those turkeys.
Another ray of light in tomorrow's matchup. We didn't have Madison Jackson for the game in Bozeman. We all saw what a huge impact she had against UNC.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:04 pm

NAU is a good draw I think. We’re the ones with something to prove, and these girls will not play as bad as they did on senior night. It’s almost not possible to play that bad again.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:27 pm

Idaho won a close game against PSU to advance to the semis, but one of the Klinker sisters had a knee injury late in the game. That'd be a huge blow for them if she can't play the rest of the way. Idaho State and SUU in the last quarterfinal is about to start.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:33 pm

1,2,3 and 5 advance

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:56 pm

Nervous about tomorrow...... don’t want this season to come to an end! Not my nature to be a conspiracy theorist, but I think the refs hate us. They called a horrible game today. I thought the conference could’ve put more effort in finding better refs for the tourney. My fear is they’re going to negatively impact the results of a game.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:25 pm

Great games today, the largest margin of victory was 7 points. The average margin of victory for the 4 games was 4.25 points.
First and foremost I'm looking for a Bobcat win tomorrow but it would be just fine with me if the lady cats win by many points.
GO CATS!!!

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:38 am

Catlady wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:56 pm
Nervous about tomorrow...... don’t want this season to come to an end! Not my nature to be a conspiracy theorist, but I think the refs hate us. They called a horrible game today. I thought the conference could’ve put more effort in finding better refs for the tourney. My fear is they’re going to negatively impact the results of a game.
With the scores as tight as they were, the refs definitely had an impact. Being allowed to foul with impunity, especially around the basket, is the great equalizer.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:45 am

I looked at 5dimes and see they have the Lady Cats at 10.5 pt favorites. In my opinion, this game will be close (won by 5 pts or less) or a blowout (won by more than 15 pts). Hoping for the latter.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:16 am

I said it in the earlier thread on senior night game. This is a game that scares me. NAU has lost to us twice by less than 10 points each time. They often start all juniors and are my pick to win next year. They are well coached. They beat Idaho twice. They have been improving throughout the year like good young teams do. They play “taller” than they are through good fundamentals and blocking out. Several good shooters that can get hot. Rasheed all conference and outstanding.

We need a best effort to win this one.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:48 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:16 am
I said it in the earlier thread on senior night game. This is a game that scares me. NAU has lost to us twice by less than 10 points each time. They often start all juniors and are my pick to win next year. They are well coached. They beat Idaho twice. They have been improving throughout the year like good young teams do. They play “taller” than they are through good fundamentals and blocking out. Several good shooters that can get hot. Rasheed all conference and outstanding.

We need a best effort to win this one.
They lost 3 in a row at the end of the season. They also struggle to finish games. I like our chances. Martell had a tough game yesterday. We also need a complete defensive effort from kuderer. I like using Madison’s defense on the three. She’s athletic. We also need more from our bench.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:42 pm

Yes...young teams struggle to finish off games and that has been their downfall. But they finished off just fine against Griz last night.

Those last 3 losses were to Griz which they just took down. To Portland State by 5 that just took Idaho to the wire losing by 2. And to Montana State at home in a come from behind 2 point victory for the Cats. It definitely was not a season ending collapse.

I hope you are right that we beat them in a cake walk. But my view is we better be on top of our game to win this one...it can get away from us.

Our keys to win will be blocking out to not let the smaller team rebound, the depth on our bench to keep fresh legs on the floor, defending the perimeter if they get hot...they drive well then kick it out for open 3 balls by Bailey, Radford, Orndorf. And of course a reasonable offensive performance.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:51 pm

Bobcats look a little tight.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:13 pm

Cats settling down a little bit and NAU seems tight. I think MSU's depth has won them some games this year and it will again today. MSU up 6 just under 3 to play in the 1st half.

catscat

Post by catscat » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:18 pm

Cats picking off a lot of NAU passes. Having some trouble getting shots to fall. Martell heating up though.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

catscat

Post by catscat » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:19 pm

Good momentum going into halftime. Up 7. Hope they take control of the second half as they have in some games and push the lead to 15 or 20.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:43 pm

Watching Darian White with the awesome moves and crazy good passes. I would like to see her and Harald Frey in a one-on-one.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:56 pm

Is it just me, or is the audio and video out of sync on Pluto?