Ivy league cancelling their BB tourney

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Ivy league cancelling their BB tourney

Post by RickRund » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:57 am

Looks like it will be auto bids.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Re: Ivy league cancelling their BB tourney

Post by Rich K » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:02 am

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... m=&src=FCS

They are going into hiding.

Ivy League cancels spring football practices
(Stats Perfrom) - The Ivy League canceling its men's and women's basketball tournaments in light of the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation drew the most attention Tuesday, but spring football practices also were eliminated this year.

The eight-school league declared its regular-season basketball champions, the Princeton women and Yale men, as its automatic qualifiers for the NCAA tournaments. It also implemented highly restrictive, in-venue spectator limitations for other upcoming campus athletics events and canceled out-of-season practices and competitions, such as spring football.

"Following a number of league-wide discussions throughout the last several weeks, we have decided to exercise caution in the interest of student-athletes, fans and the general community," Ivy League executive director Robin Harris said.

The league said all policies are subject to change based on the ongoing review of circumstances.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:42 pm

Dumb.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:04 pm

Rich K wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:02 am
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... m=&src=FCS

They are going into hiding.

Ivy League cancels spring football practices
(Stats Perfrom) - The Ivy League canceling its men's and women's basketball tournaments in light of the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation drew the most attention Tuesday, but spring football practices also were eliminated this year.

The eight-school league declared its regular-season basketball champions, the Princeton women and Yale men, as its automatic qualifiers for the NCAA tournaments. It also implemented highly restrictive, in-venue spectator limitations for other upcoming campus athletics events and canceled out-of-season practices and competitions, such as spring football.

"Following a number of league-wide discussions throughout the last several weeks, we have decided to exercise caution in the interest of student-athletes, fans and the general community," Ivy League executive director Robin Harris said.

The league said all policies are subject to change based on the ongoing review of circumstances.
wait for it now that spring corrupt practices are canceled they'll just declare Yale the winner of the football season next year and not play it all

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:04 pm

Okay now that they have 21 less practices. Does that mean they're now division 2

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:59 pm

And the Big West will allow the tourney sans the fans...

msubobcats@outlook.com

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:31 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:42 pm
Dumb.
I just listened to a Joe Rogan podcast with a disease guy. One takeaway, he said we are treating this as a virus blizzard. We should treat it as a virus winter. Infected people spread it just by breathing. Not that dumb.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:48 am

allcat wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:31 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Dumb.
I just listened to a Joe Rogan podcast with a disease guy. One takeaway, he said we are treating this as a virus blizzard. We should treat it as a virus winter. Infected people spread it just by breathing. Not that dumb.
99's response here shows exactly the type of attitude that will spread this virus around way more than it needs to be. All fun & games & conspiracy theories until it starts infecting and killing people you know and care about.

As for the Ivy League's decision, there have been way more cases in that region than in others and much of the transmission has, not surprisingly, come from one infected person attending a large gathering and unknowingly infecting others (the Biotech conference in Boston). While it seems drastic to cancel the entire tournament rather than a more moderate decision like playing it without fans in the arena, the way we get through this is to be overly cautious as opposed to by ignoring the risks and hoping it will somehow go away on its own.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:56 am

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:48 am
allcat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Dumb.
99's response here shows exactly the type of attitude that will spread this virus around way more than it needs to be. All fun & games & conspiracy theories until it starts infecting and killing people you know and care about.

As for the Ivy League's decision, there have been way more cases in that region than in others and much of the transmission has, not surprisingly, come from one infected person attending a large gathering and unknowingly infecting others (the Biotech conference in Boston). While it seems drastic to cancel the entire tournament rather than a more moderate decision like playing it without fans in the arena, the way we get through this is to be overly cautious as opposed to by ignoring the risks and hoping it will somehow go away on its own.
Well they better cancel classes, weight room, lunch and all trips to mommy's house or it's just a waste of time.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:11 am

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:56 am
MSU01 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:48 am
allcat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Dumb.

Well they better cancel classes, weight room, lunch and all trips to mommy's house or it's just a waste of time.
I see what you're saying here and have honestly kind of felt the same way. I tend to fall in the middle of this whole thing. I'm not concerned. I'm annoyed at the panic buying that is going on. I'm frustrated with how this thing is impacting lives and the way we go about our lives.

That said, I understand the precautions being taken nationally. But I too have been curious why there seems to be so much confusion as to how to handle it. College basketball tournies are being cancelled, but 99% of colleges around the nation are still running. Major sports organizations are considering closing games to the public. Yet public transportation is still business usual. Flights are still flying. I could buy a ticket to almost anywhere in the world right after I type this....

Seems to me, if we are really to take this thing so seriously. If it is really a threat to change mankind as we know it, you wouldn't things would be so gray. Shut down businesses. All schools should be closed. Public transportation should cease. Air travel should be emergency only. All sports should be halted until we're in the clear. The state championships starting all over the state tomorrow should be cancelled.

I'm just not sure how this is so serious, but not really serious, but sometimes serious? :-k

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:09 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ivy-league ... 01214.html

Article this morning that kind of touches on my thoughts above. Ivy league cancels basketball tournies due to coronavirus fears. Meanwhile their wrestling teams are just flying to Minneapolis to compete.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:36 am

Looks as if University of Dayton is cancelling classes. And the students are protesting...

msubobcats@outlook.com

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:39 pm

Just announced that the NCAA Tournament will also be played with no fans in attendance. I assume many more sports leagues to follow.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:43 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:39 pm
Just announced that the NCAA Tournament will also be played with no fans in attendance. I assume many more sports leagues to follow.
When was this announced? I can't find anything about it.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:53 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:43 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Never mind. Found it.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... caa-events

Crazy!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:54 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:43 pm
MSU01 wrote:
A tweet from the NCAA official account.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:08 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:09 am
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ivy-league ... 01214.html

Article this morning that kind of touches on my thoughts above. Ivy league cancels basketball tournies due to coronavirus fears. Meanwhile their wrestling teams are just flying to Minneapolis to compete.

It just doesn't make sense to me.
NCAA Wrestling Championships also to be held without fans.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:31 am

The nba suspends their season. Jazz center Rudy Gobert laughs at the precautions then tests positive. Also one other player tests positive.

The ATP suspends their season.

Major League soccer suspends their season.

Seattle Mariners, no home games. California MLB is getting nervous.

msubobcats@outlook.com

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:05 am

This thread hasn't aged well!
Our organization was making plans once we saw the Asian and European markets crash from the outbreak of COVID-19.
We closed on Friday and have staff working from home.