Hauck gets raise and extension

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Hauck gets raise and extension

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:49 am

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... b70b9.html

He’s gets $35,000 bonus if he can somehow not leave UM by April 1, 2020. :lol: :lol: :lol:

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Hauck gets raise and extension

Post by autocat » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:24 am

He said, " I came back here to be a Montana Grizzly. That's why I came back here." Sir, you already were one. How come you didn't say you were finishing you're career here?

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:19 am

For stability I think that was the smartest thing UM could have done. I personally think he makes for a better Cat Griz rivalry and is better for the Big Sky as a whole. His passing on San Diego St head job tells me he is all in on being in Missoula.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:58 am

He’s a pathetic excuse for a human being representing a pathetic excuse for an institution of higher learning. It’s a perfect fit, why wouldn’t they want to keep him around?!

GO CATS GO!!!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:02 am

Did they really change anything other than expanding the total years? The old contract extensions for 3 years were actually 3 one year contracts renewable every June? That difference is important if a coach is fired or leaves for another job.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:44 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:19 am
For stability I think that was the smartest thing UM could have done. I personally think he makes for a better Cat Griz rivalry and is better for the Big Sky as a whole. His passing on San Diego St head job tells me he is all in on being in Missoula.
I don’t think there is any way Hauck was considered for the San Diego State head job. They hired Brady Hoke who was a current coordinator and was the expected “heir apparent” to Rocky Long retiring. Hoke was a previous head coach at SDSU and also Michigan. Clearly better resume and was already on the staff.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:25 pm

Although I understand this move from a football standpoint at um, this really seems ridiculous when you consider all of um’s other financial problems. Again, if I was a student or faculty member at um, this would really chafe my a** to give any coach, much less Bobby Hack this much money. Um’s priorities are still pretty obvious.....let’s have a good football and basketball program and maybe a little bit of a school around it.

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:41 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:02 am
Did they really change anything other than expanding the total years? The old contract extensions for 3 years were actually 3 one year contracts renewable every June? That difference is important if a coach is fired or leaves for another job.
Max $ he can make went up to 500k+ as compared to $380k prior. He has automatic bonuses built in for each year he stays, 35k, 40k, then 50k. More $ potential for playoff wins, FBS games, and national championship. Base salary went from 185k to 205k.

I know someone else stated SDSU was not after him. That is incorrect. He could have left to head coach at SDSU for over a million per year. He passed to stay in Missoula. This new negotiation was part of keeping him there. This was relayed directly to me and my wife from his sister (a good friend of my wife).

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:12 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:41 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Max $ he can make went up to 500k+ as compared to $380k prior. He has automatic bonuses built in for each year he stays, 35k, 40k, then 50k. More $ potential for playoff wins, FBS games, and national championship. Base salary went from 185k to 205k.

I know someone else stated SDSU was not after him. That is incorrect. He could have left to head coach at SDSU for over a million per year. He passed to stay in Missoula. This new negotiation was part of keeping him there. This was relayed directly to me and my wife from his sister (a good friend of my wife).
That is an interesting bit of information on SDSU from Hauck’s sister, but there has been zero info publicly or even rumors surrounding the subject which would be highly unlikely. Also, Brady Hoke was hired for $1 million per year, but the last coach was making $900,000 per year.

https://dailycaller.com/2020/02/10/san- ... 1-million/

Do you really think they bring the former failed UNLV coach for $1 million (more than the incumbent who was very successful), and also choose Hauck over a former Big 10 coach, current coordinator and also past successful coach at SDSU? It just doesn’t make sense. And the SDSU job is a good job. There is no way a Big Sky coach doesn’t jump at that opportunity...

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:18 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:25 pm
Although I understand this move from a football standpoint at um, this really seems ridiculous when you consider all of um’s other financial problems. Again, if I was a student or faculty member at um, this would really chafe my a** to give any coach, much less Bobby Hack this much money. Um’s priorities are still pretty obvious.....let’s have a good football and basketball program and maybe a little bit of a school around it.
Yep. And when I state this to those that question my BOBCAT Fanship they get a bit chaffed.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:23 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:12 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

That is an interesting bit of information on SDSU from Hauck’s sister, but there has been zero info publicly or even rumors surrounding the subject which would be highly unlikely. Also, Brady Hoke was hired for $1 million per year, but the last coach was making $900,000 per year.

Do you really think they bring the former failed UNLV coach for $1 million (more than the incumbent who was very successful), and also choose Hauck over a former Big 10 coach, current coordinator and also past successful coach at SDSU? It just doesn’t make sense. And the SDSU job is a good job. There is no way a Big Sky coach doesn’t jump at that opportunity...
I definitely respect your knowledge and postings here but I can say with confidence you are incorrect on this one. It might not make a ton of sense from us as outsiders looking in but that doesn’t mean it didn’t or couldn’t have happened. I think many forget Hauck was the Associate Head Coach for SDSU (while also handling special teams). They supposedly loved him there and tried hard to keep him there when he was deciding to leave for Missoula. There has been plenty of discussion that this all took place in SDSU circles and in Missoula circles. I heard about it from friends prior to having it confirmed by Bobby’s sister.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:17 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:23 pm
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

I definitely respect your knowledge and postings here but I can say with confidence you are incorrect on this one. It might not make a ton of sense from us as outsiders looking in but that doesn’t mean it didn’t or couldn’t have happened. I think many forget Hauck was the Associate Head Coach for SDSU (while also handling special teams). They supposedly loved him there and tried hard to keep him there when he was deciding to leave for Missoula. There has been plenty of discussion that this all took place in SDSU circles and in Missoula circles. I heard about it from friends prior to having it confirmed by Bobby’s sister.
He must really love UM. Admirable quality.

If UM loses to MSU this year, then plays at MSU the next and loses that. What happens? The past two losses have to be — for separate reasons— two of the worst in school history.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:36 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

All good points. I don’t have any inside information, but it is very hard to believe. Have you ever talked to a colleague who “claims” they were offered a significantly better position elsewhere but they didn’t take it. In the back of your mind you are thinking that not only is this guy not qualified but he would never pass up that kind of opportunity? No disrespect to your sources, but Brady Hoke is ten times more qualified than Bobby for the SDSU head job. Just from a marketing perspective, do you think the SDSU fans would gladly welcome the guy who failed at lowly conference rival UNLV? Doesn’t make sense..

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:57 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:17 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

He must really love UM. Admirable quality.

If UM loses to MSU this year, then plays at MSU the next and loses that. What happens? The past two losses have to be — for separate reasons— two of the worst in school history.
I hope there is a voidable clause in there somewhere after the Cats beat them again in Washington Bobcat Stadium :lol: :lol: 8)

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:27 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:36 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

All good points. I don’t have any inside information, but it is very hard to believe. Have you ever talked to a colleague who “claims” they were offered a significantly better position elsewhere but they didn’t take it. In the back of your mind you are thinking that not only is this guy not qualified but he would never pass up that kind of opportunity? No disrespect to your sources, but Brady Hoke is ten times more qualified than Bobby for the SDSU head job. Just from a marketing perspective, do you think the SDSU fans would gladly welcome the guy who failed at lowly conference rival UNLV? Doesn’t make sense..
Rocky Long and the people in the football department there loved Bobby. Personal knowledge goes a long way. They had Bobby and Brady on staff there, and preferred Bobby.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:00 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:27 pm
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

Rocky Long and the people in the football department there loved Bobby. Personal knowledge goes a long way. They had Bobby and Brady on staff there, and preferred Bobby.
And you know this how?

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:33 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:00 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

And you know this how?
The same way everybody else knows. Connections and a bit of logic. It's a small state man.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:35 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:33 am
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

And you know this how?
The same way everybody else knows. Connections and a bit of logic. It's a small state man.
In other words, rumors... got it.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:45 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:35 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

And you know this how?
Just like how everybody here believes that Choate turned down the Oregon State DC job, and I'd bet none of them heard it from Choate.

But hey, you don't have to believe me. Your choice.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:00 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:45 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:35 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

And you know this how?
Just like how everybody here believes that Choate turned down the Oregon State DC job, and I'd bet none of them heard it from Choate.

But hey, you don't have to believe me. Your choice.
Mitch Brott said it best on Facebook when he heard about the contract extension. "Great news, 4 more years of beating the griz!"

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back