Bobcat Triangle Classic

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Clinton T
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Bobcat Triangle Classic

Post by Clinton T » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:57 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:27 pm
Clinton T wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:30 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:33 pm
3-7-77 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:24 pm
It is interesting that when the three MSU alums, that were the driving force behind the event, decided they had had enough and walked away, NOBODY picked up the leadership roles vacated by their departure. Guess there is more to this thing than just copying what they did and continue the success of the Classic. I thought that Billings, Butte, Kalispell, or even Gallatin Valley alums would pick up the ball(no pun intended) and the Classic would continue, albeit in another town. The Golden Goose would continue to pump cash into the MSU coffers. I am unaware of the dollar amounts which were yearly sent to Bozeman during the years of the Classic, but it is more than the $0 sent last year and this year. The proposition that 'Bozeman' (insert Costello in place of Bozeman) could manage the event better blew up in Lou's face(yes, I do know his real name, but until the truth comes out without any spin I will refer to him as Lou Costello, one of my favorite all time comedians by the way). I thought that by now, with a year since the rift, that the truth was ready to come out. Lou could simply say, 'Yeah, I ****** up and cost MSU $XXXXXX each year the Classic went way.' If that isn't the way it went down, then tell the truth. If Lou wasn't the one who blew it up, then WHOM?
BN is great for spin. Deny the obvious, change the subject, make counter accusations, whatever. A lot like Bill Clinton politics. There is always the old standard, '...he's just a Griz troll...' to deflect the question(s) asked. Maybe one or two of you could actually ask these questions and get to the truth. I would be asking the same questions if it wasn't a MSU bungle, but rather a UM bungle.
Fake news! You have brought zero factual evidence. Only rumor and conjecture. You have zero idea whether any money was actually made on that event. You do realize that the speaker alone for those events can cost upwards of $20,000. It also costs a ton of money to transport, house and feed the football players for spring drills that were part of the event. And the dinner and facility is not free. Lots went into the event. In the meantime, Costello has only successfully oversaw the single largest athletic fund raising effort in our schools history with the athletic center. He has helped implement other fund raising efforts like day of giving that raised $30,000 in 24 hours. Other fundraising events such as online auctions have easily raised $100,000+.

Maybe next time you post, you can provide some facts instead of pure conjecture and rumor.
Were you involved in the event? How do you know it is fake news? Asking for a friend.
The Griz troll was making comments that BN was great for spin and comparing it to Clinton politics. It seemed that “fake news” was the appropriate response given he had provided no actual information. He was just spewing vitriol for our program, boosters and AD.

And I don’t see anything in my post that is not true. The event was expensive. It would also seem that Leon has done a pretty good job raising funds. Help me out with what was not true... maybe you can look in the mirror and ask your “friend”.
I will not get into the rumor and speculation the jizz trolI brought up, but would agree with you that Leon has done a good job raising funds. However, I take issue with your implication that the cost of the event made it unprofitable to the university. You accused 3-7-77 of speaking in terms of "pure conjecture and rumor" but this is exactly what you are doing. Yup - the speakers for the event were expensive. The event itself was expensive to put on, but it raised A LOT of money over the years. I know this - my wife and I took in money for the event for years and I have seen the profitability reports. Also, the event exponentially raised the profile of the university in the golden triangle. We sold hundreds of season tickets to people who would otherwise never come to games. Kids in the area got excited about attending MSU because they were able to meet the players, coaches, Champ, etc year after year. The net economic impact of the event for the university is MUCH higher than the hundreds of thousands the event brought in. Also, keep in mind that Costello is paid well to solicit funds. The Great Falls boosters were paid nothing and collectively spent thousands of hours away from their jobs and families to help raise funds for the athletic department. No need to toss shade their way.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:00 pm

Clinton T wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:57 am
Cataholic wrote:
Clinton T wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
3-7-77 wrote:
It is interesting that when the three MSU alums, that were the driving force behind the event, decided they had had enough and walked away, NOBODY picked up the leadership roles vacated by their departure. Guess there is more to this thing than just copying what they did and continue the success of the Classic. I thought that Billings, Butte, Kalispell, or even Gallatin Valley alums would pick up the ball(no pun intended) and the Classic would continue, albeit in another town. The Golden Goose would continue to pump cash into the MSU coffers. I am unaware of the dollar amounts which were yearly sent to Bozeman during the years of the Classic, but it is more than the $0 sent last year and this year. The proposition that 'Bozeman' (insert Costello in place of Bozeman) could manage the event better blew up in Lou's face(yes, I do know his real name, but until the truth comes out without any spin I will refer to him as Lou Costello, one of my favorite all time comedians by the way). I thought that by now, with a year since the rift, that the truth was ready to come out. Lou could simply say, 'Yeah, I ****** up and cost MSU $XXXXXX each year the Classic went way.' If that isn't the way it went down, then tell the truth. If Lou wasn't the one who blew it up, then WHOM?
BN is great for spin. Deny the obvious, change the subject, make counter accusations, whatever. A lot like Bill Clinton politics. There is always the old standard, '...he's just a Griz troll...' to deflect the question(s) asked. Maybe one or two of you could actually ask these questions and get to the truth. I would be asking the same questions if it wasn't a MSU bungle, but rather a UM bungle.
Fake news! You have brought zero factual evidence. Only rumor and conjecture. You have zero idea whether any money was actually made on that event. You do realize that the speaker alone for those events can cost upwards of $20,000. It also costs a ton of money to transport, house and feed the football players for spring drills that were part of the event. And the dinner and facility is not free. Lots went into the event. In the meantime, Costello has only successfully oversaw the single largest athletic fund raising effort in our schools history with the athletic center. He has helped implement other fund raising efforts like day of giving that raised $30,000 in 24 hours. Other fundraising events such as online auctions have easily raised $100,000+.

Maybe next time you post, you can provide some facts instead of pure conjecture and rumor.
Were you involved in the event? How do you know it is fake news? Asking for a friend.
The Griz troll was making comments that BN was great for spin and comparing it to Clinton politics. It seemed that “fake news” was the appropriate response given he had provided no actual information. He was just spewing vitriol for our program, boosters and AD.

And I don’t see anything in my post that is not true. The event was expensive. It would also seem that Leon has done a pretty good job raising funds. Help me out with what was not true... maybe you can look in the mirror and ask your “friend”.
I will not get into the rumor and speculation the jizz trolI brought up, but would agree with you that Leon has done a good job raising funds. However, I take issue with your implication that the cost of the event made it unprofitable to the university. You accused 3-7-77 of speaking in terms of "pure conjecture and rumor" but this is exactly what you are doing. Yup - the speakers for the event were expensive. The event itself was expensive to put on, but it raised A LOT of money over the years. I know this - my wife and I took in money for the event for years and I have seen the profitability reports. Also, the event exponentially raised the profile of the university in the golden triangle. We sold hundreds of season tickets to people who would otherwise never come to games. Kids in the area got excited about attending MSU because they were able to meet the players, coaches, Champ, etc year after year. The net economic impact of the event for the university is MUCH higher than the hundreds of thousands the event brought in. Also, keep in mind that Costello is paid well to solicit funds. The Great Falls boosters were paid nothing and collectively spent thousands of hours away from their jobs and families to help raise funds for the athletic department. No need to toss shade their way.
Sorry if I hit on a sensitive area for you. It was not intended to throw shade toward Great Falls boosters, but to respond to a Griz troll. I never stated the event was not profitable, but I did state that it was expensive to put on based on my own experience with similar events. The Griz troll made it sound like the event was all profit and the program will not survive due to the loss of this event. That is not true, and quite frankly, Leon (and the coaches) have been very successful raising funds.

You are right that Leon is a well paid professional. He has also done some incredible work since he arrived in Bozeman. Sometimes a new boss has a different vision than the last guy. That can mean casualties in both process and personnel. Even though we may not like some of the actions, that highly paid individual is doing what he feels is right for the program. This past year of fundraising seems to have been very successful and part of his plan. How do you know that Leon felt that X amount raised by the Golden Triangle event wouldn’t have been 5X for those same boosters with his other initiatives in 2019? For example, a ticket to the dinner cost $85 of which MSU might net $10 to $20. Could MSU keep all $85 with a direct donation (no classic event) in 2019 versus only keeping $20 with the classic event?

I attended one of the last scrimmages in Great Falls and it was not well attended despite beautiful weather. That was also one of the reasons that the Shrine game has been played in Billings and Butte over the past couple of years.

You are obviously close to the past situation. Can you share more information? You guys clearly put a lot of work into the event, but is it possible that Leon felt a different approach with boosters could net more funds?

Clinton T
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Clinton T » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:32 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:00 pm
Clinton T wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Clinton T wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
3-7-77 wrote:

Sorry if I hit on a sensitive area for you. It was not intended to throw shade toward Great Falls boosters, but to respond to a Griz troll. I never stated the event was not profitable, but I did state that it was expensive to put on based on my own experience with similar events. The Griz troll made it sound like the event was all profit and the program will not survive due to the loss of this event. That is not true, and quite frankly, Leon (and the coaches) have been very successful raising funds.

You are right that Leon is a well paid professional. He has also done some incredible work since he arrived in Bozeman. Sometimes a new boss has a different vision than the last guy. That can mean casualties in both process and personnel. Even though we may not like some of the actions, that highly paid individual is doing what he feels is right for the program. This past year of fundraising seems to have been very successful and part of his plan. How do you know that Leon felt that X amount raised by the Golden Triangle event wouldn’t have been 5X for those same boosters with his other initiatives in 2019? For example, a ticket to the dinner cost $85 of which MSU might net $10 to $20. Could MSU keep all $85 with a direct donation (no classic event) in 2019 versus only keeping $20 with the classic event?

I attended one of the last scrimmages in Great Falls and it was not well attended despite beautiful weather. That was also one of the reasons that the Shrine game has been played in Billings and Butte over the past couple of years.

You are obviously close to the past situation. Can you share more information? You guys clearly put a lot of work into the event, but is it possible that Leon felt a different approach with boosters could net more funds?
As it happens most of the time, the truth is somewhere in the middle and I wasn't in on the meetings with MSU so I will not comment on what went on. Leon is a man of many talents, and alienating a group of dedicated alumni seems to be one of those talents (I am not speaking for the entire group - only my wife, father, and I - others may feel the same way or they may not...I'm not sure). I get it from his point of view - it makes sense to spend more time and energy courting big money donors than dealing with the minutia of booster events. It is a strategy that has proven effective and I am glad it has. He has a different philosophy when it comes to booster participation in fundraising than the previous administration. You will never hear me complain about the work he has done bringing money into the athletic department. However, like I said in my previous post, the impact of the event in terms of merchandise sold, season ticket holders, future students, and overall program awareness cannot be overstated.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:12 am

Clinton T wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:32 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:00 pm
Clinton T wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Clinton T wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
3-7-77 wrote:

As it happens most of the time, the truth is somewhere in the middle and I wasn't in on the meetings with MSU so I will not comment on what went on. Leon is a man of many talents, and alienating a group of dedicated alumni seems to be one of those talents (I am not speaking for the entire group - only my wife, father, and I - others may feel the same way or they may not...I'm not sure). I get it from his point of view - it makes sense to spend more time and energy courting big money donors than dealing with the minutia of booster events. It is a strategy that has proven effective and I am glad it has. He has a different philosophy when it comes to booster participation in fundraising than the previous administration. You will never hear me complain about the work he has done bringing money into the athletic department. However, like I said in my previous post, the impact of the event in terms of merchandise sold, season ticket holders, future students, and overall program awareness cannot be overstated.
Agreed. I miss the triangle and it was certainly a net positive for MSU due to all the reasons you described. I appreciate Leon’s work but it’s unfortunate that, when it comes to fundraising, we can’t do two things at once.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:11 am

It’s time had come and gone. Nothing lasts forever. The players were troopers and went along with it, but it wasn’t their favorite part of being on the team. Can you blame them? I’m sure there’s more than one story about a liquored up alum making dumb comments, among other things. They don’t need that.

Great Falls could still do something.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:05 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:11 am
It’s time had come and gone. Nothing lasts forever. The players were troopers and went along with it, but it wasn’t their favorite part of being on the team. Can you blame them? I’m sure there’s more than one story about a liquored up alum making dumb comments, among other things. They don’t need that.

Great Falls could still do something.
Absolutely. They could have an event without dragging all of the kids there for a "practice". I also loved the event and went many times, but the spring game part of it was waning and needed to go. I am, however a little disturbed when I heard that they may be cancelling the road show around North Central and Eastern Montana. I think they should expand this with the Foundation and reach out to more alumni, not less.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:42 am

I recall this event was on life support before Leon was hired. The last time I attended was 2014 when Emmert was the guest speaker, and I walked out of there knowing I was never going to that event again. The overwhelming negativity made the event simply not fun anymore. There was one guy standing at the entrance to the bathroom most of the night trying to talk to every person who walked by about how pissed off the Great Falls boosters were. Irritated the hell out of me, and again, I knew that was the end of the road with respect to my attendance.

Leon was hired in 2016. I'm really not sure how all of this is his problem. Clearly that man is an exceptional fund raiser, and between him and Cruzado, we are on the front end of a golden age of Bobcat athletics.

Don't feed the grizz troll anymore on this.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:09 am

Darth Yoda wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:42 am
I recall this event was on the life support before Leon was hired. The last time I attended was 2014 when Emmert was the guest speaker, and I walked out of there knowing I was never going to that event again. The overwhelming negativity made the event simply not fun anymore. There was one guy standing at the entrance to the bathroom most of the night trying to talk to every person who walked by about how pissed off the Great Falls boosters were. Irritated the hell out of me, and again, I knew that was the end of the road with respect to my attendance.
I agree with this. At least in my experience. I had no involvement in this event whatsoever so obviously no firsthand knowledge. But I remember being very surprised at how much talk was happening at that event about how unhappy the boosters were. I'm not saying they were right or wrong in their feelings. I just remember being a bit shocked that you couldn't enter a conversation all weekend without it turning very negative in regards to GF boosters vs MSU. It just struck me as odd that of all the times and places to bash MSU, was at an event supporting MSU athletics.

The Emmert year was also my last year attending for similar reasons. Just had an awful feel to it overall. It had been an awesome event for years though so I give a lot of credit to all the people who worked so hard to make it what it was for so long.

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:46 am

The Scott Mansch article from last year:

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/story ... 944941002/

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."