Troy Andersen pegged as a top 10 choice for Buck award

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

95bcfb
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Troy Andersen pegged as a top 10 choice for Buck award

Post by 95bcfb » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:46 pm

rollo_tumasi wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:13 pm
Surgery will be sometime this month...
They RARELY ever do surgery on a PCL. I have practiced as an orthopedic physical therapist for 15 years and have never seen one of these surgerys. I have treated them many times nonsurgically. Not saying they don't do surgery but I would not have it done. No first hand info on this other than my experience with this injury.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:07 pm

The PCL isn't the only injury he has suffered.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

95bcfb
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 95bcfb » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:15 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:07 pm
The PCL isn't the only injury he has suffered.
OK. Like I said I have no information about his case. I hope he gets fully better and if that means he sits out a year then so be it. I am glad he has that option. He is an amazing player and I hope we can see him play at full strength whether that be this year or next.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:54 am

My guess is we don't see Troy until November, if at all. I'd rather have a 100% healthy Troy Andersen in two seasons than a 60-70% Troy this year.

I think it's a good move personally.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:10 am

doing what's best for Troy is the most important thing here, whatever that is. It would be cool to have a senior Ifanse and a Senior QB, along with Troy leading the defense in 2021 though.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:09 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:54 am
My guess is we don't see Troy until November, if at all. I'd rather have a 100% healthy Troy Andersen in two seasons than a 60-70% Troy this year.

Well you always have good inside information, so it looks like Troy is out.

MSU beat UM, Albany and Austin Peay without Troy. Hardy and Okada played great while he was out.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:13 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:09 am
ilovethecats wrote:

MSU beat UM, Albany and Austin Peay without Troy. Hardy and Okada played great while he was out.
Not Always!

But I have heard similar things from people who usually have great info. I think if true, like I believe it is, it's the best thing for Troy and probably the best thing for our program going forward.

Darth Yoda

Post by Darth Yoda » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:27 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:13 am
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Not Always!

But I have heard similar things from people who usually have great info. I think if true, like I believe it is, it's the best thing for Troy and probably the best thing for our program going forward.
There's a long history of misdirection with TA info, and even the insiders get fooled. We'll get an idea when fall camp rolls around, and we'll know for sure when 9/5/2020 arrives. Until then it's only speculation (even from the insiders).

Although, I am warming up to the idea that he's 100% for the Brawl, sits for our opening playoff opponent, and then is available for our next 3 games. Yes, adding an All American to the lineup is great, but more importantly IMO, this we will need as much depth as we can muster in order to make a serious run in playoffs.

I just don't want a repeat of 2019 where he plays hobbled most of the season and ends up beat to hell for the Brawl and playoff games. Maybe he will come into fall camp 100% and he's a go for this year. That's a great alternative as well.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:29 am

ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Not Always!

Would really add to the drama of Cat-Griz if they just simply had him suit up and run through warmups. If so, MSU should make sure Root has a camera glued to Hauck’s face.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:44 am

Darth Yoda wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:27 am
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Not Always!

There's a long history of misdirection with TA info, and even the insiders get fooled. We'll get an idea when fall camp rolls around, and we'll know for sure when 9/5/2020 arrives. Until then it's only speculation (even from the insiders).

Although, I am warming up to the idea that he's 100% for the Brawl, sits for our opening playoff opponent, and then is available for our next 3 games. Yes, adding an All American to the lineup is great, but more importantly IMO, this we will need as much depth as we can muster in order to make a serious run in playoffs.

I just don't want a repeat of 2019 where he plays hobbled most of the season and ends up beat to hell for the Brawl and playoff games. Maybe he will come into fall camp 100% and he's a go for this year. That's a great alternative as well.
Agree with the sentiment. I will say that sometimes information comes directly from coaches and family. And not just in regards to Troy. Some info you can take with a grain of salt. Other info you feel really good about depending who's giving it.

I think this staff has an excellent idea of how they want to handle this going forward and it should benefit everyone.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:50 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:29 am
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Not Always!

Would really add to the drama of Cat-Griz if they just simply had him suit up and run through warmups. If so, MSU should make sure Root has a camera glued to Hauck’s face.
He'd probably be stoked about that... because remember last year that was one of his whopper excuses for the Griz getting their asses kicked... said something along the lines of, we prepared all week to stop Andersen and when he didn't suit up that threw us all out of sorts... :lol:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:13 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:50 am
iaafan wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:29 am
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Not Always!

He'd probably be stoked about that... because remember last year that was one of his whopper excuses for the Griz getting their asses kicked... said something along the lines of, we prepared all week to stop Andersen and when he didn't suit up that threw us all out of sorts... :lol:
That was literally the best part about last years cat/griz. Watching that smug prick use that excuse at the presser was effing awesome.
Last edited by seataccat on Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:39 pm

If Troy gets healthy late in the season, maybe the Brawl, he could play in the Brawl and subsequent playoff games and still redshirt if he wants to redshirt, not sure he does though.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:56 pm

Maybe I'm crazy but is it possible we never see him suit up for the Cats again if he doesn't play in 2020? NFL scouts already know what he is capable of. If what Colter said about the scouts he talked to is the sentiment of all NFL scouts, then TA has nothing left to prove because everyone knows he is a TD machine.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:10 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:56 pm
Maybe I'm crazy but is it possible we never see him suit up for the Cats again if he doesn't play in 2020? NFL scouts already know what he is capable of. If what Colter said about the scouts he talked to is the sentiment of all NFL scouts, then TA has nothing left to prove because everyone knows he is a TD machine.
Yes, you are crazy. TA loves being a Bobcat. Sure, anything is possible. But I'll bet the farm this doesn't happen.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:42 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Nothing left to prove? He's at best, and I think I'm being fairly optimistic here, a 5th round pick. As far as the NFL goes, he has a lot to prove.

He's basically a position-less player at this point. Is he a LB? Is he a RB? A TE? An H-Back? We really don't know. He can play all of them, but what is he?

This isn't a slight. Troy is obviously an amazing player, an amazing athlete, one of the best to come to MSU period...but nothing left to prove? No way.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:07 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:39 pm
If Troy gets healthy late in the season, maybe the Brawl, he could play in the Brawl and subsequent playoff games and still redshirt if he wants to redshirt, not sure he does though.
Yep, that's exactly what poster above said... ideal scenario (if in fact he's not playing the full season in 2020) would be if plays Cat\Griz, sits the first playoff game, plays in the next three, and we still get him for all of 2021.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:27 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:42 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Nothing left to prove? He's at best, and I think I'm being fairly optimistic here, a 5th round pick. As far as the NFL goes, he has a lot to prove.

He's basically a position-less player at this point. Is he a LB? Is he a RB? A TE? An H-Back? We really don't know. He can play all of them, but what is he?

This isn't a slight. Troy is obviously an amazing player, an amazing athlete, one of the best to come to MSU period...but nothing left to prove? No way.
I agree he still has things left to prove. I'm just saying scouts already have him pegged as a TD maker. I'm guessing whether he plays offense, defense or both when he gets back on the field that won't change. He's been hurt all year the last 2 years. I'm just saying maybe he doesn't play for us again. Do I think he will? Yes, but I think it's possibly he doesn't.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:59 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:27 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:42 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:

I agree he still has things left to prove. I'm just saying scouts already have him pegged as a TD maker. I'm guessing whether he plays offense, defense or both when he gets back on the field that won't change. He's been hurt all year the last 2 years. I'm just saying maybe he doesn't play for us again. Do I think he will? Yes, but I think it's possibly he doesn't.
Colter has said that the scouts have him pegged as an offensive player in the NFL. If the kid really does have NFL aspirations he would be best suited to RS next year. His draft prospect would probably not go up much playing LB. He would be better suited healing up and training his ass off for the combine or pro day, maybe tearing it up in four games. Would it really do him any good personally to play both sides of the ball next year? sacrificing his body? I would hate to see that, it would suck for us bobcat fans but who could blame him. Just sayin'.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:05 pm

This is the most excited I've ever seen a message board about news that a player may miss most or all of a season due to injury, but it's easy to see the potential upside given the new 4-game redshirt rule.

Are these rumors legit, or coming from the same reliable sources that had Ifanse transferring out after refusing to play last year? We shall see...