WBB Big Sky Season Awards

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

WBB Big Sky Season Awards

Post by arvcat2 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:10 am

There is some discussion in last night’s UNC game thread on this topic which, IMHO, deserves its own thread with the actual announcements looming. Considering there are 10 other teams with their own talented players & how much balance and depth this Cat team has, my attempted unbiased prediction:

1st Team: Fallyn Freije. See MVP below.
2nd Team: Darian White. There are some other pretty good upper classman guards elsewhere to compete with for 1st team honors. Hope I’m wrong though.
3rd Team: Oliana Squires. Missing two games and being less than 100% in a few more keeps her off the 2nd team.

MVP: Frejie. Her stats are good enough and her reputation (pre-season MVP) combined with the fact she’s on a great team will be rewarded!
Top Newcomer: If the criteria for this award does not exclude seniors and/or transfers from other Big Sky schools, it’s Freije all day. Otherwise, no Bobcat in the running.
Top Freshman: White. A no doubter at this point.
Best Defender: White in the discussion, but I’d bet it goes to either Stotler of PSU or Cardenas of SUU (both seniors).
Top Reserve: Blaire Braxton!!!

Wrangler
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: WBB Big Sky Season Awards

Post by Wrangler » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:28 am

Based upon the publishing of results for the past several years, it looks like these awards will be announced either tomorrow or Monday (before the Big Sky tournament). I agree that Freije should be a lock for the conference MVP. Furthermore, White will be the Freshman of the Year. I don't think either vote will be close.

McKenzie Johnston of the Griz is a certain 1st team all-Big Skjy selection. My guess is the Lizzie Klinker (UI - originally from Fairfield) will be a 2nd team selection. Darian is also likely a 2nd team selection. Lots of talent throughout the league, as well as a lot of parity. The tournament will be exciting, and nerve-wracking...

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:58 am

We won the league by 4 games-we should load up the first team. My admittedly blue and gold colored glasses all-conference picks:
First team: Freije-MSU (MVP), White-MSU, Squires-MSU, Cardenas-SUU, Marxen-UI (UI player-could be Klinker or Bea as well), Johnston-um, Rasheed-NAU
Second team: Klinker-UI, Bea-UI, Stockholm-um, Bailey-NAU, Hansen-PSU
Third team: Smith-MSU, Braxton-MSU, Goles-ISU, Bailey-NAU, Davis-UNC
Honorable mention: Kurderer-MSU, (bunch of others), Tori Martell might sneak in there as well.

MVP-Freije
Defense-Cardenas
Freshman-White
Newcomer-Graves-WSU
Reserve-Braxton

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:12 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:58 am
We won the league by 4 games-we should load up the first team. My admittedly blue and gold colored glasses all-conference picks:
First team: Freije-MSU (MVP), White-MSU, Squires-MSU, Cardenas-SUU, Marxen-UI (UI player-could be Klinker or Bea as well), Johnston-um, Rasheed-NAU
Honorable mention: Kurderer-MSU, (bunch of others), Tori Martell might sneak in there as well.

MVP-Freije
Defense-Cardenas
Freshman-White
Newcomer-Graves-WSU
Reserve-Braxton
I can appreciate your blue & gold colored glasses, but 7 total players on the your first team?

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:17 am

arvcat2 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:12 am
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:58 am

MVP-Freije
Defense-Cardenas
Freshman-White
Newcomer-Graves-WSU
Reserve-Braxton
I can appreciate your blue & gold colored glasses, but 7 total players on the your first team?
Oh shoot-miscounted. Maybe there will be a tie. For entertainment purposes only!

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:07 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:10 am
There is some discussion in last night’s UNC game thread on this topic which, IMHO, deserves its own thread with the actual announcements looming. Considering there are 10 other teams with their own talented players & how much balance and depth this Cat team has, my attempted unbiased prediction:

1st Team: Fallyn Freije. See MVP below.
2nd Team: Darian White. There are some other pretty good upper classman guards elsewhere to compete with for 1st team honors. Hope I’m wrong though.
3rd Team: Oliana Squires. Missing two games and being less than 100% in a few more keeps her off the 2nd team.

MVP: Frejie. Her stats are good enough and her reputation (pre-season MVP) combined with the fact she’s on a great team will be rewarded!
Top Newcomer: If the criteria for this award does not exclude seniors and/or transfers from other Big Sky schools, it’s Freije all day. Otherwise, no Bobcat in the running.
Top Freshman: White. A no doubter at this point.
Best Defender: White in the discussion, but I’d bet it goes to either Stotler of PSU or Cardenas of SUU (both seniors).
Top Reserve: Blaire Braxton!!!
I just can’t leave Madeline Smith or Blair Braxton off the 2nd team and the other at least 3rd team. We dominated the paint all year with Freije, Smith, Braxton combos when we wanted to. Led the league in rebounding margin by 6.7 Rbg....both Smith and Braxton shot over 50% on the inside against the bigs....very few if anyone could stop them a whole game...the Braxton/Smith combo is the all time rebounding duo in MSU history...I think Blair ranks in top 5 in MSU blocks and Smith was better this year.

Will be some tough choices....just hope they all are recognized....I know other teams have good players too but this is a team that has done something no other WBB team has done in 35 years.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:33 am

Just put the whole team in the Bobcat hall of fame right now.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:52 pm

Does Binford get consideration for Coach of the Year? She did an excellent job managing the talent. Meshing in transfers, convincing a player like Braxton to come off the bench. Managing playing time with more depth than any coach deserves.
Only negative is 3 point defense....... but one conference loss wipes out any negatives!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:08 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:52 pm
Does Binford get consideration for Coach of the Year? She did an excellent job managing the talent. Meshing in transfers, convincing a player like Braxton to come off the bench. Managing playing time with more depth than any coach deserves.
Only negative is 3 point defense....... but one conference loss wipes out any negatives!
If 3 point defense is the biggest negative MSU has (they are 3rd best in the Big Sky allowing 29.9% on 3s), then Binford should win in a landslide. I think she will anyway as while the award shouldn't just automatically go to the coach of the regular season champion, MSU was historically dominant this year.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:39 pm

More depth than a coach deserves? 😂😂 We have the best fans! Binford deserves the depth on this team. She built it with her assistants! Being a coach is you get blamed for all the problems, but almost no credit for the success. Binford built a culture and is recruiting the right players. I’m impressed, but also wish we were a little better against 3 pt shooters! 🤣 this is going to be a very interesting week! Go Bobcats!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:03 pm

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:20 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:03 pm
No major issues with that list. I don't want to pit Bobcat vs Bobcat, but I think Blaire Braxton is the top reserve. Martell had a great year, but not every game. Braxton was the model of consistency. Very much agree with Darian White on the first team. It will be interesting to see what the coaches think.

Do you guys have an opinion on Defensive Player of the Year? I say Cardenas

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:00 pm

Tori is a great player, but I disagree on Braxton. Unless the requirement is only offensive, Braxton is the top reserve.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:15 pm

I get it on Tori, she did finish as the second best 3 point shooter (by %) in the league and in the top 10 in 3 point shots made for entire season..... even with playing time limited. So someone coming off the bench and hitting a couple deep 3s can open up the game or close the gap...and bring a lot of energy....and get the crowd on its feet. And she did play a key guard role when Oliana was injured and not playing. I get why you could say that qualifies as the best reserve.

But I am kinda a “down in the trenches guy” so how do you not recognize Blair??!! Not anywhere on the list!! The “down in the trenches” folks like Blair don’t get the same recognition. She did nose out Madeline Smith for the best shooting percentage on the team by just a whisker. She was the leading offensive rebounder on the team even with less minutes played than starters. She was nip and tuck with Madeline, Darian, Martha on defensive rebounds per game. She is a top 10 rebounder all time at MSU. When it was tough and mean in the middle you inserted Blair to take it over because folks didn’t knock Blair to the floor as much as Madeline and Martha......how is that not a top reserve? She is a captain and a “glue” that brings the team together. I get a bit disgusted when we don’t recognize folks like Blair and the contribution they make.....I’m getting the feeling this will end up like Hannah Caudill a few years back....all she did was set the record in number of assists, make everyone else look better, make very few turnovers, and quietly hit a few 3s and she barely makes the Honorable Mention list?.

Oh well. We will see tomorrow...... and I guess poor old Kuderer was a non-entity.

Enough ranting...thinking positive thoughts for tomorrow and for the tournament this week.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:19 pm

This is an excellent team and the awards for the season tomorrow should be a great day for our Bobcats. Coach’s nominate and vote for each award and the all conference teams. Martell had a great year, but Blair’s rebounding, hustle and defense made us the top team in the Big Sky. I agree with Belgrade that it’s wrong to pit teammate against teammate, but we wouldn’t be 19-1 in conference without her contributions. She’s the top reserve. I think her and Madeline really made a difference. If Binford is nominating Bobcats, there’s no way she doesn’t nominate Blair. Coach has made it clear that we’re winning games because of defense. I also think Martha deserves some recognition, she often had the most difficult defensive assignment.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:11 am

As I wrote a few days ago, I think Martha was our best kept secret. She simply and quietly does some of everything except make free throws. She takes on anyone they need in man defense. She makes very few turnovers. Her +/- is often very good. Last I looked she was our most accurate three-point shooter in conference. She looks a bit gawky going to the rim, sometimes getting the wrong foot in the right place or something, but it’s effective. She has a good motor. I don’t know who I’d trade her for at that position. Coach Bin gives her a ton of minutes for a reason, and she is always on the floor at crunch time. I fear all her contributions will be totally overlooked, but give her an honorable mention at least.

After watching them in person the other night against SUU, I believe we had the best seven players in the game, and that includes Cardenas.

19-1 and 10 conference road wins means you have a lot of the best players, and the best coach hands down. The players trust her, and she places a lot of trust in the players.

Roll on ‘Cats.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:04 am

Freije won Player of the Year and Darian is Freshman of the Year but only Honorable Mention (???) All-Conference. Tori Martell is Reserve of the Year. Freije 1st Team and Squires 2nd Team are only other Bobcats. Very surprising to me that Smith didn't get All-Conference.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:17 am

Congrats to Fallyn, Oli, Tori and Darian! Well deserved.

There were rumors on this forum and in Boise yesterday that Blair wouldn’t get the top reserve award. We were talking to some coaches yesterday and they were not able to vote for her simply because our Coaches didn’t nominate her. I’m not going to deny that I’m a huge fan of Blair and what she does for our program on and off the court. I’m disappointed in our coaches for not nominating her, but I’m sure they had valid reasons. These teams are usually guard oriented. I also can’t figure out why Smith got not even a honorable mention. Are our coaches limited in the number of nominations? Even Griz fans here thought Blair should’ve gotten the award.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:14 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:11 am
As I wrote a few days ago, I think Martha was our best kept secret. She simply and quietly does some of everything except make free throws. She takes on anyone they need in man defense. She makes very few turnovers. Her +/- is often very good. Last I looked she was our most accurate three-point shooter in conference. She looks a bit gawky going to the rim, sometimes getting the wrong foot in the right place or something, but it’s effective. She has a good motor. I don’t know who I’d trade her for at that position. Coach Bin gives her a ton of minutes for a reason, and she is always on the floor at crunch time. I fear all her contributions will be totally overlooked, but give her an honorable mention at least.

After watching them in person the other night against SUU, I believe we had the best seven players in the game, and that includes Cardenas.

19-1 and 10 conference road wins means you have a lot of the best players, and the best coach hands down. The players trust her, and she places a lot of trust in the players.

Roll on ‘Cats.
Bobcat4Ever..... Agree with your comments on Kuderer on her style of play...kinda awkward drives but effective.. .and you look at the stats at the end of the game and you say "wow, look what Martha did". Guess she doesn't get recognized because she is not "smooth enough" for the coaches. She was also one of our top rebounders and as you noted a great defender.

But one area of difference to clarify is what I mentioned two posts prior....Tori was the best 3 point shooter on the team....she ended up making over 44% of her 3-pt shots in conference play which was second only to Cardenas by a few thousandths of a percent. Even if you throw in overall statistics, including non-conference games, Tori was 2nd in the conference in 3-pt shooting percent. Tori had the 6th most 3-pt shots made in conference play...accomplishing that coming off the bench...everyone above her was a starter and had more playing time. Tori also was an 87.5% free throw shooter which would have been tops in the league but she didn't shoot enough free throws to make the conference top 10 list.

Martha wasn't bad at shooting the 3 ball either shooting over 40% but she didn't shoot as much as Tori... and if you noticed, she started to be less effective from long range later in the season.

I love Martha as part of this great team, just trying to clarify the 3-pt conversation.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:29 am

Disappointed is all I can say. My ladies Smith and Braxton totally ignored. UUUUUGH!

And I will take Darian or Oli over Johnston on first team any day any time. Darian sitting as an afterthought in the Honorable Mention category... NO WAY!

I hope the girls just pound them in the tourney if they get the chance to play em.

OK.... I am out of here. I am going to go sulk... get in the car and drive to Boise.... so I have 7 hours or so to get over it.