WBB at UNC

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: WBB at UNC

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:19 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:54 pm
nevadacat wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:50 pm
Hopefully the ladies can get some rest and be ready for next week. I think this road trip was draining because of the short week.
Good point. Definitely looked like the 2nd night of a looooong road trip from Cedar City to Greeley. Same thing probably happened to the lady griz who lost to SUU in overtime. Hopefully the bye is a big advantage on Wednesday.
To get to Greeley they had a 6 a.m. flight from Cedar City to Salt Lake, changed flights to go to Denver, and then drove to Greeley yesterday (Thursday). They will fly directly to Boise tomorrow (Saturday). All that and homework, too.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:23 pm

What the last few games reminded me is the toughness of other teams....a hot night by someone could get us. A reflection on the conference season......with Idaho, Eastern Washington, Montana all taking us to Overtime and NAU, SUU, UNC showing steady improvement through the year. It’s the time of year when the hungry teams rise up and show their toughness.

I know our ladies are hungry and I want this outstanding Lady Cat team to cement their legacy with a dominating tournament performance!! Go Cats!!

It would be nice if we had a couple thousand fans in the seats in Boise....but I know that is pretty wishful thinking.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:26 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:56 pm
nevadacat wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:50 pm
Hopefully the ladies can get some rest and be ready for next week. I think this road trip was draining because of the short week.

This team is just so deep though... it’s crazy how much they can sub players in and out, without skipping a beat. Other teams always seem drained at the end of games and the cats look totally fresh.

Plus getting a first round bye is always helpful.
When Freije went out early with two fouls and no point, I didn’t think anything of it. Fans of other teams would be panicking at losing their key player. The depth is am@zing.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:28 pm

Not the prettiest game but a win ain't ugly. Congratulations Lady Cats!

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:34 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:49 pm
Boom! Cats win again! What an incredible year they have put together.

Darian white is absolutely phenomenal. I can’t believe she is only a freshman.
It will be a travesty if she doesn’t get freshman of the year (or more). But I know others have been talking up Bea from Idaho and Davis from Northern Colorado.

I also don’t quite fully understand the dearth of Montana State ladies recognized as players of the week. I think we had one POW all year on a 19-1 team. I keep trying to rationalize that it is because we are so balanced it is hard to single out any one individual each week.

I think I heard the all conference teams will be announced on Sunday...I may have misunderstood but I thought I heard it would be this coming Sunday...but on reflection I could see it being the Sunday after the tourney also.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:36 pm

I'm most concerned about the lady griz and the Vandals. Both are very solid teams. I anticipate the lg's in the semi-final and Idaho in the championship if we get that far. I'll be there for the semi-final on Wednesday so I'm praying we don't choke on Tuesday. It happens. Idaho's wonderful team last year got knocked out by 4 seed Portland State who ended up winning it. EWU knocked off ISU and Northern Colorado who had Big Sky all timer Savannah Smith. EWU almost won 4 games but had it slip away in the final.

Hopefully our Idaho kids bring a big fan club with them.

We do have the auto-bid to the WNIT under out belts should disaster happen...but I don't even want to think about that right now.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:46 pm

Talked my bride into going so will be there Tuesday through duration. Yep, we have a good contingent of Idaho ladies on the team and recruits. I heard one of the recruits might bring her team.

Another fun tidbit for those that didn’t hear. Boise had some of the elementary schools adopt a Big Sky team. Both our men’s and women’s Bobcat teams were adopted. The teams were trying to figure out if they could make a visit to the schools and to respond to some “pen” pals at the school. I thought that was kinda neat of Boise to try to create some local interest.
Last edited by BobcatDel on Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:47 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:34 pm
mslacatfan wrote:

It will be a travesty if she doesn’t get freshman of the year (or more). But I know others have been talking up Bea from Idaho and Davis from Northern Colorado.

I also don’t quite fully understand the dearth of Montana State ladies recognized as players of the week. I think we had one POW all year on a 19-1 team. I keep trying to rationalize that it is because we are so balanced it is hard to single out any one individual each week.

I think I heard the all conference teams will be announced on Sunday...I may have misunderstood but I thought I heard it would be this coming Sunday...but on reflection I could see it being the Sunday after the tourney also.
I will make the bold prediction that White will be MVP and Freshmen of the Year. Squires and Freije will be first teamers. If White isn't MVP Freije will be. Braxton will the top reserve. Madeline Smith and Martha Kuderer should be 2nd or 3rd team at least. Rebecca Cardenas of SUU will get defensive MVP-just cause they can't give everything to Darian.

Here's last year's: https://bigskyconf.com/news/2019/3/11/w ... teams.aspx

aucat

Post by aucat » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:06 pm

The tournament is going to be full of dangerous teams. We need to be at the top of our game.

That's the problem with winning a conference like the Big Sky. Even though we are CLEARLY the best team
in the Big Sky, we don't go to the Big Dance unless we win three more in the tournament.

Like others said, I'm nervous. It would be awful to have a season like these women have had and not end
up representing the conference in the NCAAs. But that's the way it works.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:06 pm

One of the challenges we have in getting kids recognized at the conference level is they aren’t on the court long enough to run up their stats. Freije ranks 6th in scoring and 3rd in rebounding in the conference and is not even in the top 25 in playing time. Throw some more playing time on Freije and she would likely be at the top at least in rebounding. Only 2 ladies for the Cats in top 25 in playing time are White at #20 and Kuderer at #25.

I like the way our team plays with the depth they have and I wouldn’t change a thing...this is only a comment about earning those post season accolades.

I hope you are right on all counts BB......you know I probably am more concerned about it then the kids are...this is a pretty selfless team...I love them for that.

aucat

Post by aucat » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:22 pm

I sure hope the announcers for the Big Sky are decent. The UNC announcer was a total clown

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:31 pm

aucat wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:22 pm
I sure hope the announcers for the Big Sky are decent. The UNC announcer was a total clown
I propose a drinking game. Every time Krista Redpath mentions Robin Selvig or that she played for the lady griz take a drink. You'll be gone by the end of the 1st quarter.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:07 am

BobcatDel wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

One note on the POW awards — you cannot win if you are not nominated. Coach Binford has been very judicious in her nominations. A mere double-double or something was not good enough. A lot of schools nominate someone every week, just hoping. For example, here is the award and nominations for a few weeks ago when we creamed both Idaho State and Weber State, both on the road. Note that um had a nomination even though they gave up 36 points to Goles and got thumped by Idaho State.
Dora Goles from Idaho State won the award. Others Nominated: Khiarica Rasheed, Northern Arizona; Emma Stockholm, Montana; Alisha Davis, Northern Colorado; Tiana Johnson, Sacramento State; Bella Cravens, Eastern Washington; Harley Hansen, Southern Utah; Kylie Jimenez, Portland State; Isabelle Hadden, Idaho
Notice that no one from Montana State was nominated. This was not rare this season. I believe that Coach Binford wants her team hungry and has them focused on a much bigger prize.

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by CatRowdy » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:59 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:31 pm
aucat wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:22 pm
I propose a drinking game. Every time Krista Redpath mentions Robin Selvig or that she played for the lady griz take a drink. You'll be gone by the end of the 1st quarter.
AND... you have to drink double for 10 minutes after she claims she never committed any fouls on the court. That's her one joke per broadcast. I wonder if she wrote it herself.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:17 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:47 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

I will make the bold prediction that White will be MVP and Freshmen of the Year. Squires and Freije will be first teamers. If White isn't MVP Freije will be. Braxton will the top reserve. Madeline Smith and Martha Kuderer should be 2nd or 3rd team at least. Rebecca Cardenas of SUU will get defensive MVP-just cause they can't give everything to Darian.

Here's last year's: https://bigskyconf.com/news/2019/3/11/w ... teams.aspx
Wow Belgrade that is bold! It’ll be interesting to see how many post season awards the Bobcats get. The MVP is interesting because to be a winner you have to be unselfish and commit to team play. The Cats have done that and Fallyn and Darian could have better numbers if the were selfish, but they sacrificed to be conference champion. Braxton should be a no brainer, but again sacrificed personal numbers for team wins. When is all this announced?

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:27 am

Congrats to the Cats....record number of conference wins...what an incredible season. Stay focused and go get the tournament championship!!

bobcatozzy

Post by bobcatozzy » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:01 pm

That announcer for unc was horrible. ](*,)

Rest In peace dad.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:48 pm

bobcatozzy wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:01 pm
"Wow, the refs are going to give the Cats that basket and ignore the travel, double dribble, charge right in front of the ref...". Or something like that. Guy was finger nails on a chalkboard.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:01 pm

technoCat wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:47 pm
My favorite was when the announcer was going off about Braxton traveling when Smith had the ball...
That announcer was an IDIOT!!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:32 pm

rivercat wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:48 pm
bobcatozzy wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:01 pm
"Wow, the refs are going to give the Cats that basket and ignore the travel, double dribble, charge right in front of the ref...". Or something like that. Guy was finger nails on a chalkboard.
A yet lauded them when a Lady Bear straight up bulldozed one of our girls going to the rim.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN