Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: #41

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:34 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:17 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:09 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:13 pm
It isn’t a lock, but I’d say it’s highly likely that Andersen’s number will be retired and that number will be 15 whether he wears it or not. I’d put it at 90% likely right now.

I agree that he belongs in #15. Whenever I see that number on another player of any sport, a license plate or whatever it’s like “Troy Andersen.” Kinda like 23 and Jordan.
I want to be careful how I word this as not to come across as being a dick. But aside from being an awesome Bobcat, and so fun to watch, what has TA done to warrant having the 5th number in the history of our program retired?

It just seems like a pretty big stretch to me at this point.
If #14 hasn't been retired, I'm not sure why anyone would assume that #15 will be.
I agree with this as well.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:03 am

I totally get both sides of the argument...

But Simply put- there has never been a bobcat accomplish what TA has accomplished (Or many college football players ever for that matter)... and he hasn’t even played his senior year yet...

FTG- GO CATS GO!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:33 am

ilovethecats wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
It isn’t a lock, but I’d say it’s highly likely that Andersen’s number will be retired and that number will be 15 whether he wears it or not. I’d put it at 90% likely right now.

I agree that he belongs in #15. Whenever I see that number on another player of any sport, a license plate or whatever it’s like “Troy Andersen.” Kinda like 23 and Jordan.
I want to be careful how I word this as not to come across as being a dick. But aside from being an awesome Bobcat, and so fun to watch, what has TA done to warrant having the 5th number in the history of our program retired?

I’ll give it a shot:
1) he’s the only player in BSC history to be named an offensive (QB) and defensive (LB) first team player.
2) he had a sack, pbu, qb hurry, 102 rushing and two TD carries. In one game vs fcs playoff team. No one in MSU history has done that.
3) his five career rushing TDs is believed to be the most in Cat-Griz history.
4) first team all America at LB; third team all America as all purpose. Fcs sophomore of the year.
5) most 100 yard rushing games in season for MSU.
6) most rushing TDs in a season for MSU.
7) most TDs scored in consecutive (11) games for MSU.
8- second most rush yards in a game in BSC history.
9) BSC frosh of year.
10) his 20 points scored is believed to be Cat-Griz record.
Most of that is in his bio at MSUbobcats.com

Mostly it’s just the electrifying way he plays the game and his presence. The only Bobcat with a bigger presence is Sonny Holland. His ability to play through injuries has a lot to do with that.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:49 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:03 am
I totally get both sides of the argument...

But Simply put- there has never been a bobcat accomplish what TA has accomplished (Or many college football players ever for that matter)... and he hasn’t even played his senior year yet...
I was also thinking about 15 having another year and what that could mean. It makes me nauseous to admit it, but Payton is correct. It's WAY too early for this discussion.

But since we're already having it, TA is lined up to do things nobody has every done in the history of DI football, anywhere in the country, for all of history. Namely he has a chance to be an All American at quarterback AND an All American at linebacker and possibly a Buck winner. If he stays healthy this year, he could be in the top of the conference in rushing TDs AND in the top of the conference in sacks and TFLs. At the same time. Plus he could end at 4-0 in Brawl games and end his career as the all-time leading TD scorer in the Brawl AND defensive MVP of the game. Again, let's hope the kid can stay healthy. If he stays healthy, there isn't a damn thing any coordinator can do to stop him. Period.

We are witnessing something completely different. Lulay was prolific QB with a great Pro career, and he took it to the grizz multiple times. But the 15 has a chance to create a legend that our great grand kids will want us to tell them about over and over.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:26 am

I'd like to see RJ Fitzgerald get it. He symbolizes Montana in my book. The kid is a truck, he plays with such intensity, and it is obvious that he is highly respected by other players.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:31 am

superbobcat wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:26 am
I'd like to see RJ Fitzgerald get it. He symbolizes Montana in my book. The kid is a truck, he plays with such intensity, and it is obvious that he is highly respected by other players.
Isn’t the number only for Seniors? RJ is a junior.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:10 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:31 am
superbobcat wrote:

Good question?

RJ would be a great fit though. You can tell he is a team leader, On and off the field.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:12 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:33 am
ilovethecats wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I’ll give it a shot:
1) he’s the only player in BSC history to be named an offensive (QB) and defensive (LB) first team player.
2) he had a sack, pbu, qb hurry, 102 rushing and two TD carries. In one game vs fcs playoff team. No one in MSU history has done that.
4) first team all America at LB; third team all America as all purpose. Fcs sophomore of the year.
9) BSC frosh of year.

Mostly it’s just the electrifying way he plays the game and his presence. The only Bobcat with a bigger presence is Sonny Holland. His ability to play through injuries has a lot to do with that.
He has already accomplished enough in 3 years (played as a true freshman) to get serious consideration as one of the greatest Bobcats of all time. And he has one more year left! Truly Amazing!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:15 am

iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I’ll give it a shot:
9) BSC frosh of year.

If he moves to Safety this year he would likely end his career with All-Conference awards each year and at essentially different positions each time.
Fr - Newcomer - RB/LB
So - 1st Team QB
Jr - 1st Team LB
Sr - Potential 1st Team DB

One of my favorite Troy stories is how when he was our QB he broke his hand in the first game. Because he was wearing a cast he couldn't play QB in the next game so he played LB instead and got a sack.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:11 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:10 am
AFCAT wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:31 am
superbobcat wrote:

Good question?

RJ would be a great fit though. You can tell he is a team leader, On and off the field.
Oh, I agree 100%. I actually watch RJ on plays during the game. He is fantastic and a great Bobcat.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:35 am

iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I’ll give it a shot:
9) BSC frosh of year.

You're selling me!

Here's hoping to an outstanding Sr season that leaves no doubt! :suds:

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:40 pm

Well, just looking at the football roster; on defense, they have both Grebe and Andersen wearing #15 and Parker wearing #15 on offense. I’m guessing Troy gets 41.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:45 pm

Under the community college tackle rules, how many would he accumulate in a season?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Steve Steverson
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Steve Steverson » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:00 pm

All of them

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:58 pm

Besides Troy, RJ is my favorite bobcat. Mostly because he is an unsung hero that absolutely plays hard every play and plays for his team, and to boot he gets zero pub due to his position. Secondly, he came from a family of griz fans and now he is turning the family into bobcat fans. Started with him, then it was his sister, granted she transferred, and now it’s his little brother.

I love how RJ plays and selflessness he shows throughout the year. I wish everybody on the team played like RJ.

If your left, you aren’t right.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:00 am

And RJ just won the Ultimate Warrior award from winter workouts.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:00 am

ilovethecats wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

:goodpost:

Hating the griz since 02.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:12 am

btribby wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:00 am
ilovethecats wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

:goodpost:
Read on.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:14 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:35 am
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I’ll give it a shot:
9) BSC frosh of year.

You're selling me!

:goodpost: :wink:

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:24 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:14 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:35 am
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I’ll give it a shot:
9) BSC frosh of year.

You're selling me!

:goodpost: :wink:
:lol:

I'm all for 15 being retired if that's what happens. He's an amazing Bobcat.

I guess my opinion is based way more on history and who's numbers HAVEN'T been retired than what Troy has done to warrant his jersey being retired. I believe we are entering our 123rd year being a program. In our previous 122 years, four numbers have been retired. FOUR!

I too am a guy that thinks #10 and #14 also deserves consideration if we're talking about #15. And I'm sure people older than myself could make cases for others as well.

I guess I'll just consider myself lucky to have such a dynamic player that this is even a conversation! Because of that there really isn't a bad opinion I suppose!