MBB Final Stretch

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB Final Stretch

Post by technoCat » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:29 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:19 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:43 pm
All that said, I really think Montana State is only more talented than Idaho State and MAYBE Idaho among teams in the league. So any team they finish ahead of is an overachievement based on their roster. NAU, Sac State, Southern Utah, Weber State and Portland State - all the other "middle teams" - are more talented than the Bobcats.
Despite the fact that this hopelessly talentless Bobcat team just beat the same team that beat greatest assemblage of basketball talent in the Northern Rockies one game prior-I don't disagree with you. I think (but don't know) that Sprinkle was counting on getting Isaac Bonton in a package deal with Dan Russell, but Wazzu swooped in late and grabbed Bonton, and Sprinkle got Adamu instead. Adamu is a good player for us, but he has no range and is a turnover machine. Also, Sprinkle made a calculated move to give a precious scholarship to Xavier Bishop even though he had to sit out a year. The result of all that-we have one point guard and now he's hurt. Paulo is just about as terrible with turnovers as Adamu and he can't shoot it either. Ladan Ricketts hasn't had a stellar senior year-maybe slowed by injury? So that limits this team greatly. Especially since our true freshmen with the exception of Fernandez are so green and should have been redshirted.

I hope one of these years we can bury this narrative featuring the February swoon. At least this season the team is .500 for a different reason than the last few. I always say-if you're getting the same results, do something different...even if it's wrong.
Games like tonight are almost worse than just losing because they show you glimpses of what we could be "if everything went right" and probably set some unfair expectations. The potential is there, why can't we bring it out more consistently?...

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:21 pm

We have to play great and other team crappy to win...if both teams are firing on all cylinders then we are in trouble.

How well this staff is at developing players in the offseason will likely determine how fast of a turn around we can have. Danny also knew this when he took the job- getting those guys to pull out the victory tonight was all about coaching.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:41 pm

Anybody else hoping for a 6th place finish? I like the idea of playing Idaho and (perhaps) earning a playoff win. Then it looks like NCU, and, stay with me here, just maybe, a surprise upset.

Otherwise it's probably PSU and a very likely a quick trip home.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:50 pm

Darth Yoda wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:41 pm
Anybody else hoping for a 6th place finish? I like the idea of playing Idaho and (perhaps) earning a playoff win. Then it looks like NCU, and, stay with me here, just maybe, a surprise upset.

Otherwise it's probably PSU and a very likely a quick trip home.
I have to admit I'm thinking the same thing. The 6 or 7 gets us an Idaho school-both of whom probably just want the season to end. Just so we avoid that 8-9 game at 9:30 AM on Wednesday. Sac just lost to montana so that helps us too.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:33 am

Sprinkle is doing a hell of a job. Montana State has responded so many times this year, including yesterday.

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:52 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:33 am
Sprinkle is doing a hell of a job. Montana State has responded so many times this year, including yesterday.
Consider this....the Cats have now won as many games as last year, despite losing the top scorer in Big Sky history and Blevins...who received looks from the NBA D league...

I'm encouraged....Sprinkle squeezes everything ounce of potential out of these guys....they've laid a couple of eggs (EWU and Sac)....but this team appears to be on an upward trajectory.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:41 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:52 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:33 am
Consider this....the Cats have now won as many games as last year, despite losing the top scorer in Big Sky history and Blevins...who received looks from the NBA D league...

I'm encouraged....Sprinkle squeezes everything ounce of potential out of these guys....they've laid a couple of eggs (EWU and Sac)....but this team appears to be on an upward trajectory.
No question. And in Year 1 under Fish,he bottomed out the program for a lot of different reasons but it was zero surprise they went 7-23. Sprinkle has not done the same, which I respect a lot.

aucat

Post by aucat » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:27 pm

Cats ain't dead yet! So I have a challenge this Thursday. I wil be at the men's home game but I absolutely do not want to miss
the women who will be playing on Pluto TV at about the same time. I think there is a way to "save" or "archive" the game on Pluto
so I can watch it when I get home after watching the Cats.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:56 pm

aucat wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:27 pm
Cats ain't dead yet! So I have a challenge this Thursday. I wil be at the men's home game but I absolutely do not want to miss
the women who will be playing on Pluto TV at about the same time. I think there is a way to "save" or "archive" the game on Pluto
No challenge at all that I can see?? Unless you intend to “party hearty” starting on Wednesday morning and end up sleeping through Lady Cat game!! \:D/

The Lady Cats play on WEDNESDAY and FRIDAY this week. Men play Thursday and Saturday. I believe this is because the tournament first round games for women starts on Monday. The Lady Cats have a bye and their first game is scheduled for Tuesday at noon but for those in the lower tier of WBB in the conference their first round tourney games start on Monday.

So I will be sitting in front of my Pluto screen Wednesday and sitting in the stands on Thursday.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:39 pm

aucat wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:27 pm
@aucat
For next year, or if you want to copy a tournament game and watch it later, or just want to copy a game and go fishing, I can tell you how I do it. This is only for iPads and iPhones, but I suspect there is a similar method for Android mobile devices, and for laptops or desktops. Some of these instructions refer to the Control Center, which you open by dragging down from the upper-right portion of the screen. Your version of iOS/iPadOS needs to support Screen Capture.

Make sure you have about 12-15GB or more of free space for an entire game. The HD video files are big!

1. Turn off (most) notifications by using Do Not Disturb in the Control Center.
2. Set the display orientation by turning it to landscape mode and by using Rotation Lock in the Control Center.
3. Set Auto-Lock to Never and turn off Lock / Unlock (if you have a cover) by using Display & Brightness in Settings.
4. Open the PlutoTV app, and start the game channel in full-screen mode.
5. The volume setting doesn’t matter — you can turn it down completely.
6. Start Screen Capture by pressing the button in the Control Center. If it is not present you may add it using Settings. It will count down from 3 and turn red when it is recording. Tap outside the Control Center to dismiss it while the countdown is occurring.
7. Walk away. Open the Control Center and press the button again sometime after the game is over.
8. After the video shows up in Photos/Videos, start watching and use Screen Mirroring in the Control Center (or another cast method) to send it to a connected TV. I use a 55” flat screen and I get a very good high-definition picture and sound. You might have to use Zoom on the TV to get the video to fill the whole screen. Remember that you can skip commercials, halftime, etc. Sit back and enjoy!
9. You can edit the video in Photos to trim off extra time on either end to make it smaller.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:02 pm

Idaho State beat Weber State in Ogden tonight. That means MSU will do no worse than 8th. If we beat SUU on Thursday BS PSU beats NAU we will get a bye and play Portland State in the 4-5 matchup. If we're 6th we'll probably play Idaho. If we're 7th we'll play ISU, and if we're 8th we'll play Weber State. Still some things to shake out to see if we finish ahead of Sac State and SUU-I have no idea how the tie breakers will work out, but probably not in our favor. Our sweep of NAU might prove helpful though.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:19 am

An MSU/Sac State tiebreaker if Sac wins and MSU gets swept this weekend would depend on whether NAU or PSU finishes higher in the standings. The winner of the NAU/PSU game would determine that. I don't think it's terrible for MSU to end up 6th or 7th and play an Idaho school, but I sure hope they can avoid the series of results that would drop them to 8th.

standup
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by standup » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:00 pm

Looks to me like if PSU beats NAU and we beat SUU on Thursday, the 5 seed is ours.

it is no more reasonable for me to dictate your fan experience than it is for you to dictate mine

aucat

Post by aucat » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:03 am

Hey thanks for the tips on recording games on Pluto! And yes I will be watching TV Wed nite and at the men's game Thursday night.

By the way, I attended Cat Chat today at Bridger Brewing. The women weren't there since the game is on Wednesday, so they had already left. I really enjoyed listening to Coach Sprinkle. I just think he has that "it" factor. He is very personable and is very likeable. He also has a great sense of humor. He had Harold Frey with him. Both Coach Sprinkle and Harold do such a wonderful job representing MSU. Also, AD Leon Costello got up to speak about the upcoming tournament in Boise, the NCAA ski championships at Bridger Bowl and even a little talk about football. He said we need to win "one more point" to beat the "school over the hill" again in the all sports competition. I find him very impressive also.
It is really great to be a Montana State Bobcat. Go Cats!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:34 am

aucat wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:03 am
Hey thanks for the tips on recording games on Pluto! And yes I will be watching TV Wed nite and at the men's game Thursday night.

By the way, I attended Cat Chat today at Bridger Brewing. The women weren't there since the game is on Wednesday, so they had already left. I really enjoyed listening to Coach Sprinkle. I just think he has that "it" factor. He is very personable and is very likeable. He also has a great sense of humor. He had Harold Frey with him. Both Coach Sprinkle and Harold do such a wonderful job representing MSU. Also, AD Leon Costello got up to speak about the upcoming tournament in Boise, the NCAA ski championships at Bridger Bowl and even a little talk about football. He said we need to win "one more point" to beat the "school over the hill" again in the all sports competition. I find him very impressive also.
It is really great to be a Montana State Bobcat. Go Cats!
It is great to be a Bobcat! And you are welcome for the recording ideas. I’ll be sure to listen to Cat Chat when it is posted. Actually, we are in Cedar City for the women’s game tonight. Drove up from our home in Nevada yesterday. My wife just returned from her version of “cat chat” with Coach Bin at breakfast. I am beyond excited to be able to see this team play in person. Go ‘Cats!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:15 pm

According to this we have a 38% chance of beating PSU-or a little more improbable than a Devon Kirby free throw going in.