um enrollment

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: um enrollment

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:29 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:01 pm
I know the flamers are coming, but a serious question

Why do cat fans care?

Over the past few years these same threads are started on bn many times and it really strikes of "red headed stepchild behavior", please take no offense if you are red-headed.

I for one could not give a crap about how many students go to msu, Idaho, EWU of any other school and I certainly don't give a crap about what bozeman is doing with their school.

They are different schools with different reasons for existing. One is (generally) liberal arts/ business and one is (generally) engineering/ Ag. One is more liberal and one is more conservative.

So UM might have to change the way they do things, doesn't msu re-evaluate each year and make adjustments/ changes?

So seriously why do you care about how many students are going to UM?
:lol:

Same reason why any of us “care” about ANYTHING happening at the other school. Why do griz fans care about our stadium? Or our offensive coordinator? Or our president? Or our porta potties? Or any time a Cat player gets in trouble? Or.....a million other things cat fans and griz fans argue about.

Are you really trying to convince any of us that if the tables were turned, and UM enrollment was at an all time high setting records every single year while MSU enrollment was declining every single year.....that griz fans wouldn’t have an interest in that?! It’s laughable even trying to imagine.

For the record I’m one that would like to see UM turn it around in regards to student enrollment. The current situation over there is frankly embarrassing. It just doesn’t appear to me they are being very proactive in turning it around but i suppose time will tell.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:09 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:29 pm
Go Scats Go wrote:

Why do cat fans care?

Over the past few years these same threads are started on bn many times and it really strikes of "red headed stepchild behavior", please take no offense if you are red-headed.

I for one could not give a crap about how many students go to msu, Idaho, EWU of any other school and I certainly don't give a crap about what bozeman is doing with their school.

They are different schools with different reasons for existing. One is (generally) liberal arts/ business and one is (generally) engineering/ Ag. One is more liberal and one is more conservative.

So UM might have to change the way they do things, doesn't msu re-evaluate each year and make adjustments/ changes?

:lol:

Same reason why any of us “care” about ANYTHING happening at the other school. Why do griz fans care about our stadium? Or our offensive coordinator? Or our president? Or our porta potties? Or any time a Cat player gets in trouble? Or.....a million other things cat fans and griz fans argue about.

Are you really trying to convince any of us that if the tables were turned, and UM enrollment was at an all time high setting records every single year while MSU enrollment was declining every single year.....that griz fans wouldn’t have an interest in that?! It’s laughable even trying to imagine.

For the record I’m one that would like to see UM turn it around in regards to student enrollment. The current situation over there is frankly embarrassing. It just doesn’t appear to me they are being very proactive in turning it around but i suppose time will tell.
This is what happens when you get things too easily. Curriculum isn’t conducive to today’s economic climate. A billionaire gifts you a football stadium that is easily the nicest in the conference when it’s built. Administrators and coaches turning a blind eye on everything. As soon as some adversity comes along no one is equipped to handle it. Then as soon as things settle down a rehire of the coach who allowed a bunch of crimes to fester and throw the program into the dumpster, which one of its members literally went back into last weekend.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:45 am

Go Scats Go wrote:

Why do cat fans care?

Talk about red headed step child syndrome... you spend more time at bobcat nation than many of us, and your a moderator at Egriz!

As for UM school, I have an MBA from the school and am proud of that degree. It is sad that UM continues to falter and it also has an adverse financial effect on MSU as we will subsidize UM until they can be self sufficient. According to the MSU BILLINGS website, MSUB expects to surpass 6,000 undergrads by 2025. UM is currently at 5,600 and on a downward trend. That is a scary fact. Add that the egotistical UM fanbase is constantly chirping about having the premier university in the state, actual trends show that UM will be the third largest university in the state in the next 10 years.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:12 am

I guess if you were in the market to buy stocks for your retirement you probably wouldn't buy JCP (JC Penneys) at $0.72 and would probably grab some MSFT (Microsoft) for $185.45 a share.
One company is somehow still hanging on and many wonder why it has not gone the way of the Edsel while another has revamped it premier Sports car with a wild mid-engine beast that goes from 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. A bit of an exaggeration on both ends but hopefully you get the point go scats go...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:20 am

Go Scats Go wrote:

Why do cat fans care?

I have deep ties to Montana such that even living in Wyoming I still care about what happens in the State of Montana.
Conversely, the fact that you have to ask such a question is why you'll never amount to anything more than a pissant troll on Bobcatnation.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:14 pm

Rich K wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:20 am
Go Scats Go wrote:

Why do cat fans care?

I have deep ties to Montana such that even living in Wyoming I still care about what happens in the State of Montana.
Conversely, the fact that you have to ask such a question is why you'll never amount to anything more than a pissant troll on Bobcatnation.
Surprised it took several posts before someone flamed... Oh well one can only hope it gets back to a conversation.

And no, I really don't care about msu, their stadium, their fans or their student numbers. It just amazes me that cat fans keep bringing this up.

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:16 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:14 pm
Rich K wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:

Why do cat fans care?

Surprised it took several posts before someone flamed... Oh well one can only hope it gets back to a conversation.

And no, I really don't care about msu, their stadium, their fans or their student numbers. It just amazes me that cat fans keep bringing this up.
Nope. You sure don't care about MSU.

That's why you have almost 2,000 posts on an MSU board. No cares given at all.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:34 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:16 pm
Go Scats Go wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:14 pm
Rich K wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:

Why do cat fans care?

Nope. You sure don't care about MSU.

That's why you have almost 2,000 posts on an MSU board. No cares given at all.
As my favorite poster CDA says:

“Thank you for dropping by BOBCATnation.com to explain how you don’t care about anything that has to do with the BOBCATS”

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:20 am

Has their been an internal review of what is happening at UM? All I have ever seen is speculation. A drop as dramatic as this has to have an explanation.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:12 am

The Butcher wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:20 am
Has their been an internal review of what is happening at UM? All I have ever seen is speculation. A drop as dramatic as this has to have an explanation.
Kind of sad and unbelievable that the State of Montana hasn't ordered an internal review yet. This is ridiculous.

GO CATS GO!!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:24 am

Interesting news on $23 million of funding requested by U of M to make some needed improvements to campus buildings (some may be at satellite campuses but the articles was not detailed). UM clearly has some buildings in need of maintenance, but they highlight a music building as a major project. Given UM’s financial situation and falling enrollment, is putting more money into an Arts program/building really a good idea? Will this help their enrollment in the future? Aren’t there other facilities, like housing, that could use the funding and help make the campus more attractive to prospective students?

https://www.kpax.com/news/local-news/um ... or-funding

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:58 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:24 am
Interesting news on $23 million of funding requested by U of M to make some needed improvements to campus buildings (some may be at satellite campuses but the articles was not detailed). UM clearly has some buildings in need of maintenance, but they highlight a music building as a major project. Given UM’s financial situation and falling enrollment, is putting more money into an Arts program/building really a good idea? Will this help their enrollment in the future? Aren’t there other facilities, like housing, that could use the funding and help make the campus more attractive to prospective students?

The only logical conclusion for what’s happening at UM is that there’s a Deep State within the MUS that wants to run UM into the ground and consolidate it with MSU.

Or, the whole thing about declining enrollment is a hoax.

I keep going back and forth with those two theories.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:38 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:58 am
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:24 am

The only logical conclusion for what’s happening at UM is that there’s a Deep State within the MUS that wants to run UM into the ground and consolidate it with MSU.

Or, the whole thing about declining enrollment is a hoax.

I keep going back and forth with those two theories.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:25 am

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:39 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:25 am
She’s not wrong. When MSU’s enrollment was down, UM got more money and MSU told to figure it out. When UM’s enrollment is down, funding structure changes to give UM more money.

The whole infrastructure argument is a lame cop out.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:39 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:39 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:25 am
She’s not wrong. When MSU’s enrollment was down, UM got more money and MSU told to figure it out. When UM’s enrollment is down, funding structure changes to give UM more money.

The whole infrastructure argument is a lame cop out.
Not only told to "figure it out" but told to pay um $9 million when their enrollment was slightly higher. Now MSU is much much higher, and the regents change the policy, again to favor um. It's absolute bias on the board. I'd like to see where each of them went to college.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:38 am

Clay Christian, the commissioner of higher education is the driving force for this blatant bias. His family has a luxury box in Denny gizz stadium and never misses a chance to root on his team. Time for a change at the top.

:coffee:

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:45 am

A change in Governor (who appoints the Regents in staggered terms, who in turn hire the Commissioner) will make a difference. But a full change over in Regents will take time.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:02 am

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:45 am
A change in Governor (who appoints the Regents in staggered terms, who in turn hire the Commissioner) will make a difference. But a full change over in Regents will take time.
To be fair to the regents, their job is to look out for the best interests of the MUS as a whole. In the big picture, this is probably the right thing to do for the MUS it’s just frustrating for MSU to seemingly be always on the wrong end of things.

That said, I don’t think many people are shedding any tears for MSU.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:09 am

Cruzado will no longer talk softly, and now she is swinging the big stick. In order to facilitate change, a good start is to rattle the cage loudly.
She has her own view of the big picture now, and rightly so.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG