Mel Tucker...Colorado to Michigan State

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WolfPtCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Mel Tucker...Colorado to Michigan State

Post by WolfPtCat » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:20 am

Big news all over Denver media this week is how Mel Tucker bolted from CU to accept 100% pay raise from Michigan State.

Dont' quote me on facts:
- CU salary 1.5 - 2 mil
- MSU salary 5 mil
- Tucker grew up in Michigan got 1st coaching gig as grad asst under Saban at MSU
- MSU has double the Assistant coach salary pool
- Tucker was 5-7 in one year as CU head coach
- Tucker brought in a top 30 recruiting class that signed last week to CU
- Rumors swirled Sat/Sun that Tucker was going on interview
- Tucker hit every radio/tv show in Denver on Monday to say he was a Buff for life and not leaving
- Tucker's agent called CU athletic director Late Monday night to say Tucker is resigning and going to MSU
- CU alumns and university officials are super pissed and feel shat on
- CU fans are super pissed because he lied all day Monday
- Some CU recruit families are pissed because he came to their living room and "lied" to them

What do you all think?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Mel Tucker...Colorado to Michigan State

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:57 am

WolfPtCat wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:20 am
Big news all over Denver media this week is how Mel Tucker bolted from CU to accept 100% pay raise from Michigan State.

Dont' quote me on facts:
- CU salary 1.5 - 2 mil
- MSU salary 5 mil
- Tucker grew up in Michigan got 1st coaching gig as grad asst under Saban at MSU
- Tucker hit every radio/tv show in Denver on Monday to say he was a Buff for life and not leaving
- Tucker's agent called CU athletic director Late Monday night to say Tucker is resigning and going to MSU
- Some CU recruit families are pissed because he came to their living room and "lied" to them

What do you all think?
It's the toughest part of the business I'm sure. There will always be people pissed and feel that they were "lied" to. This situation was worse because he tweeted early this week that he was staying in Boulder. A day later he leaves.

I'll never blame a guy for doing what is best for himself and his family. I know sports get more pub than all of us regular joes working our jobs out of the spotlight. But I'd bet anything there isn't a single one of us who wouldn't do the same thing for that kind of pay increase. And as you pointed out, the guy gets to go back home, coach in the Big10, and will make 5 million instead of 2 million. People are kidding themselves if they claim they wouldn't do the same thing.

No doubt it sucks for the players, new recruits, staff and administration scrambling right now. But that's life in sports

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:46 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:57 am
WolfPtCat wrote:

Dont' quote me on facts:
- CU salary 1.5 - 2 mil
- MSU salary 5 mil

What do you all think?
It's the toughest part of the business I'm sure. There will always be people pissed and feel that they were "lied" to. This situation was worse because he tweeted early this week that he was staying in Boulder. A day later he leaves.

I'll never blame a guy for doing what is best for himself and his family. I know sports get more pub than all of us regular joes working our jobs out of the spotlight. But I'd bet anything there isn't a single one of us who wouldn't do the same thing for that kind of pay increase. And as you pointed out, the guy gets to go back home, coach in the Big10, and will make 5 million instead of 2 million. People are kidding themselves if they claim they wouldn't do the same thing.

No doubt it sucks for the players, new recruits, staff and administration scrambling right now. But that's life in sports
It's not about doing what's best for your family. It's about doing it with integrity. Mel did not do that. If he had an interview with MSU and was considering the move, then he shouldn't have told everyone the opposite. You don't need to tell the public what's happening but at least just keep your mouth shut rather than lying to everyone.

You're right that that's life in sports. He has the right to do what he wants. But everyone else also has the right to call him out for his shady method of operation.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:24 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:46 am
ilovethecats wrote:
WolfPtCat wrote:

Dont' quote me on facts:
- CU salary 1.5 - 2 mil
- MSU salary 5 mil

What do you all think?

It's not about doing what's best for your family. It's about doing it with integrity. Mel did not do that. If he had an interview with MSU and was considering the move, then he shouldn't have told everyone the opposite. You don't need to tell the public what's happening but at least just keep your mouth shut rather than lying to everyone.

You're right that that's life in sports. He has the right to do what he wants. But everyone else also has the right to call him out for his shady method of operation.
I admit I don't have any info on this case, just what I have read online. Nor do I have a dog in the fight. I just tend to give coaches the benefit of the doubt in these situations.

I don't know what was said in these meetings. Maybe he came away from the first interview and really believed 100% he wanted to stay at Colorado? Maybe that's why he chose to jump on social media about staying? I don't know. But that would make a difference in my mind. He appreciates the offer, politely declines, and announces his decision to stay. Next day MSU comes back with far more money and maybe far more incentives. Maybe it was too much to turn down?

Like I said, I have no idea but I think context matters. Had he known all along he was taking the job and was simply lying to the players and everyone else that changes things. I guess I would just need far more proof that was the case before I demolished his character is all.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:39 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:24 pm
91catAlum wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
WolfPtCat wrote:

Dont' quote me on facts:
- CU salary 1.5 - 2 mil
- MSU salary 5 mil

What do you all think?

I admit I don't have any info on this case, just what I have read online. Nor do I have a dog in the fight. I just tend to give coaches the benefit of the doubt in these situations.

I don't know what was said in these meetings. Maybe he came away from the first interview and really believed 100% he wanted to stay at Colorado? Maybe that's why he chose to jump on social media about staying? I don't know. But that would make a difference in my mind. He appreciates the offer, politely declines, and announces his decision to stay. Next day MSU comes back with far more money and maybe far more incentives. Maybe it was too much to turn down?

Like I said, I have no idea but I think context matters. Had he known all along he was taking the job and was simply lying to the players and everyone else that changes things. I guess I would just need far more proof that was the case before I demolished his character is all.
You're right, I agree with that. The context does matter and it's unlikely that all the facts and timeline are accurately known to us all.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:40 pm

91catAlum wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
WolfPtCat wrote:

Dont' quote me on facts:
- CU salary 1.5 - 2 mil
- MSU salary 5 mil

What do you all think?

He was offered the job. Turned it down.

Then he had those interviews where he said he was completely committed to CU.

MSU went after Luke Fickell, who said no

MSU then came after Tucker again with a HUGE offer, and I think like $6 million budget for assistant coaches. I mean, what's he supposed to say? You just don't turn down that kind of money.

It's unfortunate for Colorado, but such is life.