MSU WBB @ Idaho Thursday

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: MSU WBB @ Idaho Thursday

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:41 am

What a nice win. I totally thought they would win, but not with those turnovers. Our defense was really good. They didn’t lose the three-point shooters this time. And the threat of Fallyn and Oliana pulled them out to guard that midrange, which opened things under the basket and we cleaned up on rebounding. They also worried about us running the court and dropped back quickly after missed shots. They gave up only one fast break, but again paid for it in rebounds.

I give a lot of credit to our coaches for a good game plan, and to our players for sticking with it. We forced Idaho to adjust to us and they were not really comfortable all night. Only the turnovers kept this thing close. Way to go ‘Cats! First place by two games and you have earned it.
Last edited by Bobcat4Ever on Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:25 am

Huge win! Go cats!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:10 am

I officially cannot watch WBB anymore. Literally every time I would start to watch, we would start digging a hole. I would get pulled away for a minute and when I came back we would be tied or leading. It was insane. :lol:

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:44 am

This was a very impressive win, especially when you consider we had 21 turnovers that led to a bunch of points for Idaho.

Incidentally, regarding the TV announces, I agree that often the opposing team's announcers are TERRIBLE! Thankfully, last night, I thought they guy was very professional. Yes, he obviously displayed more enthusiasm for Idaho, nevertheless, his over play by play was perfect for TV and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:56 pm

The thing about those turnovers that really bothers me is how many of them were absolutely unforced. When a player catches the ball then starts their move by traveling that is 100% on them and we had a bunch of them in that game.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:08 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:56 pm
The thing about those turnovers that really bothers me is how many of them were absolutely unforced. When a player catches the ball then starts their move by traveling that is 100% on them and we had a bunch of them in that game.
Exactly. Especially on ball fakes. A film review and then some emphasis when they work on fundamentals should make it fixable. I just wonder sometimes how good this team would/could be without shooting themselves in the paws frequently. It’s nice to be worrying about getting better when you are 10-1.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:15 pm

aucat wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:44 am
This was a very impressive win, especially when you consider we had 21 turnovers that led to a bunch of points for Idaho.

Incidentally, regarding the TV announces, I agree that often the opposing team's announcers are TERRIBLE! Thankfully, last night, I thought they guy was very professional. Yes, he obviously displayed more enthusiasm for Idaho, nevertheless, his over play by play was perfect for TV and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.
You and me both. I find it especially impactful when I watch the men. I turned the game on last night and we were down 7-10 or something like that and we didn't score for like 5 minutes in real time, this happens way more than it should when I turn the game on and we don't score for minutes.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:07 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:08 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Exactly. Especially on ball fakes. A film review and then some emphasis when they work on fundamentals should make it fixable. I just wonder sometimes how good this team would/could be without shooting themselves in the paws frequently. It’s nice to be worrying about getting better when you are 10-1.
Yet our seniors are the ones that travel the most! Can't fix fundamentals at this point! :evil:

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:36 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:07 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Yet our seniors are the ones that travel the most! Can't fix fundamentals at this point! :evil:
I disagree that the turnovers are a problem of fundamentals for this team. They don't occur every game and if they were caused by a lack of fundamentals they would. I watch every game and attend every home game and fundamentals are pretty good with this group.

I think the turnovers on this team occur when they overthink and second guess. Travelling hasn't been taking an extra step on a drive which is a fundamentals problem. They've been the result of hesitation on making a decision where to go or what to with the ball.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:10 pm

rivercat wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:36 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
I disagree that the turnovers are a problem of fundamentals for this team. They don't occur every game and if they were caused by a lack of fundamentals they would. I watch every game and attend every home game and fundamentals are pretty good with this group.

I think the turnovers on this team occur when they overthink and second guess. Travelling hasn't been taking an extra step on a drive which is a fundamentals problem. They've been the result of hesitation on making a decision where to go or what to with the ball.
Weird indeed. We had four more such turnovers today-and they're being committed by our most fundamentally sound players. Kuderer twice, Freije, and Martell. There's gotta be a drill or something they can do in practice to get out of that habit.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:19 am

I’m guessing this might be a new point of emphasis with the officials as they seem to be all over it. But it is mostly on ball fakes, and the calls certainly seem to be correct, but perhaps checked more closely than usual. This has bothered me in women’s Big Sky basketball for years. There have been certain players on other teams who travel either by getting the dribble down too late or by hippity-hopping, resetting both feet before taking off or shooting a three. It just seems to be being called closer, particularly on us. Someone may have really worked the refs over. The coaches can come up with some drills because we need to deal with the calls and avoid them — cannot continue to get these turnovers called.

Love this team — special.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:03 pm

rivercat wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:

I think the turnovers on this team occur when they overthink and second guess. Travelling hasn't been taking an extra step on a drive which is a fundamentals problem. They've been the result of hesitation on making a decision where tao go or what to with the ball.
I also go to all the home games and we have more than our share of unforced turnovers. Martha and others don't know how to put the ball to the floor sometimes!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:09 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:03 pm
rivercat wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:

I think the turnovers on this team occur when they overthink and second guess. Travelling hasn't been taking an extra step on a drive which is a fundamentals problem. They've been the result of hesitation on making a decision where tao go or what to with the ball.
I also go to all the home games and we have more than our share of unforced turnovers. Martha and others don't know how to put the ball to the floor sometimes!
First half they've did have way too many TO's but second half was a lot cleaner. My point was that the cause isn't that they aren't fundamentally sound. If that was the problem, the TO problem would be consistent in every game all the time.

I hope they can clean up the unforced errors that do pop up. If they do, they win the BSC tournament and, depending on seeding, could make some noise at the NCAA tournament.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate