MSU WBB @ Idaho Thursday

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

MSU WBB @ Idaho Thursday

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:42 pm

Biggest game of the season. Idaho still controls its own destiny for #1 seed thanks to winning first game in Bozeman. A win by MSU, however, would really put them in a hole.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

HotTubHigh
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: MSU WBB @ Idaho Thursday

Post by HotTubHigh » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:58 pm

Make sure to listen to Bobcat radio only. I hear the Idaho announcer actually kind of supports the team that pays him and you can sometimes tell that when you listen. Pretty "sad".

Bobcat radio.....where color man Mike Callaghan says...."MontanaState" (one syllable) 500 times a game and "Bobcats" once!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:37 pm

HotTubHigh wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:58 pm
Make sure to listen to Bobcat radio only. I hear the Idaho announcer actually kind of supports the team that pays him and you can sometimes tell that when you listen. Pretty "sad".

Bobcat radio.....where color man Mike Callaghan says...."MontanaState" (one syllable) 500 times a game and "Bobcats" once!
Are you 12? Honestly, don’t you have something better to do than troll a rivals website?

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:34 pm

HotTubHigh wrote:

Do you know what a syllable is? Sounds like 4! Must have graduated from UM School of Journalism! Lol!

2024 Resume dominance

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:08 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:34 pm
HotTubHigh wrote:

Do you know what a syllable is? Sounds like 4! Must have graduated from UM School of Journalism! Lol!
I thought a liberal arts university graduate would at the very least understand the basics of English. You are a either a very sad referendum on the state of um or just another bandwagon fan that jumped on back in the hay day.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:23 am

rivercat wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:08 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:34 pm
HotTubHigh wrote:

I thought a liberal arts university graduate would at the very least understand the basics of English. You are a either a very sad referendum on the state of um or just another bandwagon fan that jumped on back in the hay day.
It is the sad referendum of the university... Their new motto: PRIDE in mediocrity!!!

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:03 pm

Really looking forward to this game. MSU has been really great at finding ways to win on the road in games they've struggled in, but what worked against EWU and UM won't work against a much stronger Idaho team if MSU falls behind again.

If you haven't seen Darian White play yet, you should! Binford is hitting it out of the park with her recruiting lately.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:17 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:03 pm
Really looking forward to this game. MSU has been really great at finding ways to win on the road in games they've struggled in, but what worked against EWU and UM won't work against a much stronger Idaho team if MSU falls behind again.

If you haven't seen Darian White play yet, you should! Binford is hitting it out of the park with her recruiting lately.
Defense and rebounding will keep us in it, but we'll need to crack that 10% barrier from three point range to win this one. Freije seems to have found her mid-range jumper-need to keep that going. I don't think Squires was 100% against the lady griz-hopefully that ankle is getting lots better.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:03 pm

I expect a bounce back game against UI. The Lady Cats started the griz game missing uncontested 3 pt shots and I think that started to play mind games with them. They didn't look confident shooting most of the game and that is an anomaly. My guess is that the offense focusses on just playing and not over thinking this week.

I do think UI is the best coached team the Lady Cats play in conference. They are fundamentally good and play with discipline. Lady Cats have more talent though and I think it shows this game. Lady Cats by 9.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:10 am

rivercat wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:03 pm
I expect a bounce back game against UI. The Lady Cats started the griz game missing uncontested 3 pt shots and I think that started to play mind games with them. They didn't look confident shooting most of the game and that is an anomaly. My guess is that the offense focusses on just playing and not over thinking this week.

I do think UI is the best coached team the Lady Cats play in conference. They are fundamentally good and play with discipline. Lady Cats have more talent though and I think it shows this game. Lady Cats by 9.
There are games you watch where a team is cold from the field and you think "it's only a matter of time before they stop dropping". Then there are games like Cat/Griz where I thought just give up on them, it's not going to happen, start being aggressive to the hoop. Ladies just didn't have it and frankly a lot of them were complete bricks. That won't happen 2 games in a row though.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:27 pm

I watched Idaho @ Southern Utah last week to get a non-Bobcat view. They are a formidable team, but we are capable of beating them in Moscow, and I believe we will.

Here is what I saw.

Idaho is big — maybe not as tall as some — but big as in burly space-eaters. They do not leave much space under the basket, in offense or defense. The bench is even a little bigger than the starters. Think lots of Klinkers.

The offense must do two things. Move the ball, by passing it quickly. They will find open shots, and they must shoot a good percentage. This includes three-pointers. Cardenas and SUU used some sort of a 0 or 1 pass offense and drive. Idaho collapsed all their size and it did not go well. But SUU did it over and over. Game over. Their interior defense crowds the basket, and they also run shooters off the 3-pt. line. They leave a large number of intermediate open shots. SUU took 18 mid-range shots and only made 5. I expect Idaho will have to guard this area or Fallyn and Oli will feast. If they do, it will open the three point line. And we need to make them. Their defense is not afraid to foul as they have a pretty deep bench. Darian, Oli, and Madi may be able to get some fouls driving, but pick your spots! Make shots as they will get a good number of defensive rebounds as they clog the inside. If an offensive rebound is nit going your way, get back on defense!

Their offense loves to shoot threes. Do not forget that. Do not wander off too far from a corner shooter, or you will pay. Keep them covered. If they miss, do not leave the shooters uncovered! They will likely leave one or two on the three-point line for a kick out. Find a shooter. Make them move off their spot or deny a pass from the scrum looking for the ball. They will shoot a lot of threes and there will be rebounds bouncing all over. Resist the desire to chase the ball if Marxin is near you in the line. Try to not let her get the ball. Or Bea. Or others. They have a bunch of shooters.

I am sure the coaches will have a good game plan. The team needs to play maturely, follow the plan, keep their cool and go home with a win!

Go ‘Cats!!!

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:34 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:27 pm
I watched Idaho @ Southern Utah last week to get a non-Bobcat view. They are a formidable team, but we are capable of beating them in Moscow, and I believe we will.

Here is what I saw.

Idaho is big — maybe not as tall as some — but big as in burly space-eaters. They do not leave much space under the basket, in offense or defense. The bench is even a little bigger than the starters. Think lots of Klinkers.

The offense must do two things. Move the ball, by passing it quickly. They will find open shots, and they must shoot a good percentage. This includes three-pointers. Cardenas and SUU used some sort of a 0 or 1 pass offense and drive. Idaho collapsed all their size and it did not go well. But SUU did it over and over. Game over. Their interior defense crowds the basket, and they also run shooters off the 3-pt. line. They leave a large number of intermediate open shots. SUU took 18 mid-range shots and only made 5. I expect Idaho will have to guard this area or Fallyn and Oli will feast. If they do, it will open the three point line. And we need to make them. Their defense is not afraid to foul as they have a pretty deep bench. Darian, Oli, and Madi may be able to get some fouls driving, but pick your spots! Make shots as they will get a good number of defensive rebounds as they clog the inside. If an offensive rebound is nit going your way, get back on defense!

Their offense loves to shoot threes. Do not forget that. Do not wander off too far from a corner shooter, or you will pay. Keep them covered. If they miss, do not leave the shooters uncovered! They will likely leave one or two on the three-point line for a kick out. Find a shooter. Make them move off their spot or deny a pass from the scrum looking for the ball. They will shoot a lot of threes and there will be rebounds bouncing all over. Resist the desire to chase the ball if Marxin is near you in the line. Try to not let her get the ball. Or Bea. Or others. They have a bunch of shooters.

I am sure the coaches will have a good game plan. The team needs to play maturely, follow the plan, keep their cool and go home with a win!

Go ‘Cats!!!
Nice write up. Pretty spot on I think. Thanks.

30 min to game time. Go Cats!!?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:45 pm

Win 62-56. Down 6 in fourth. Go on 17-5 run to finish.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:56 pm

That was a tough 3rd quarter. Over thinking on offense led to a bunch of turnovers. Lady Cats win the boards 42-23 and that was the difference. Great job!

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:06 pm

Our bench was the difference! Out scored their bench 22-9. We need to cut down on the turnovers.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:15 pm

Catlady wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:06 pm
Our bench is the difference!
Agree. Fresh players in the 4th have been key all year. Looking at the stats, Martell and Braxton off the bench were 2 of the top 5 scorers.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:27 pm

YES! Great win, I don't care how they got it. Now get the blowout on Saturday vs EWU.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:32 pm

Great opportunity to work on our 3pt defense! 🤷🏻‍♀️

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:43 pm

Catlady wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:06 pm
Our bench was the difference! Out scored their bench 22-9. We need to cut down on the turnovers.
"Our depth was crucial," Binford said. "Our fresh legs kept us active under the boards and it was nice to see our bench produce 22 points."

Is Catlady actually Coach Binford???

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:34 am

Nah, my team would be better at covering the 3! 😂😂