New Montana State OC

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: New Montana State OC

Post by thefrank1 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:33 pm

Most importantly the hiring process does a good job of vetting all aspects of the applicant and helps ensure good chemistry.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:40 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:33 pm
Most importantly the hiring process does a good job of vetting all aspects of the applicant and helps ensure good chemistry.
I agree a key concept that is very important to Coach Choate's success. You know he will bring in a team player and not a potential cancer.

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:41 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:19 pm
lutecat wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:59 am
Keep in mind our DC came from being a quality control asst.
Excellent point. How many of us have benefited from a new look at our profession by taking on a new role? Very common way of growing professionally.
I think with any job, especially a new role or a higher position, you naturally work harder. This might not apply to all professions, but in College Football, there work seems to never stop.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:43 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:55 am
Sounds like he really separated himself from the other three candidates who interviewed.

From what I've heard from people who matter and who really know what's going on, this is an outstanding hire. I have to admit there was a part of me that was hoping for some big splash hire where the whole country would say "whoa, MSU got HIM???", but that's not realistic.
I can confirm that DeNarius McGhee and Matt Troxel (former Griz, Idaho State coach) also were interviewed for Montana State's offensive coordinator position.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:59 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:18 pm

Well, his resume is not his strong point, so to win this OC position at MSU he would have had to had some strong people in his corner who spoke to his capabilities and his interview must have been a revelation. I trust Coach Choate to know what he will bring to the table. I loved Matt Miller and felt he was just beginning to hit his stride last season.

Curious to see what kind of Offense Udy wants to install at MSU. Another fun offseason talking point, and more grist for the mill! :)

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:31 pm

What is everyone's problem with his resume??? He has OC experience people! And he worked under a great coach in Matt Wells the last 2 years on both sides of the ball. It's not like Choate plucked him from the HS ranks.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:51 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:18 pm
Well, his resume is not his strong point, so to win this OC position at MSU he would have had to had some strong people in his corner who spoke to his capabilities and his interview must have been a revelation. I trust Coach Choate to know what he will bring to the table. I loved Matt Miller and felt he was just beginning to hit his stride last season.

Curious to see what kind of Offense Udy wants to install at MSU. Another fun offseason talking point, and more grist for the mill! :)
I have a sneaking suspicion Udy will just run what Choate wants him to run. I think Choate wants a guy who knows how to call plays based on Choate's system. If Udy can draw some other stuff up and tweak things like tempo and personnel, that's a bonus. I just don't see him installing much of a new system.

superbobcat

Post by superbobcat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:09 pm

It makes a lot of sense to keep in the offense a lot of what we have, just from a personnel standpoint and player convenience. I agree I think working with Wells and staff will bring some new ideas, especially with tempo.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:48 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:51 pm
catsrback76 wrote:

I have a sneaking suspicion Udy will just run what Choate wants him to run. I think Choate wants a guy who knows how to call plays based on Choate's system. If Udy can draw some other stuff up and tweak things like tempo and personnel, that's a bonus. I just don't see him installing much of a new system.
I think you'll be surprised. The principles (power run) will be the same, but I think Udy will have some autonomy.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:26 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

I think this is exactly correct and choate has said as much. He doesn’t want our style to change on that side of the ball whatsoever. It’s honestly why I didn’t put much thought into this hire. He was going to get a guy to run the offense exactly how he wants. And I’m totally fine with that.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:33 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:26 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

I think this is exactly correct and choate has said as much. He doesn’t want our style to change on that side of the ball whatsoever. It’s honestly why I didn’t put much thought into this hire. He was going to get a guy to run the offense exactly how he wants. And I’m totally fine with that.
Style and execution are two different things. The head coach dictates the style and the coordinator puts together an offense that executes that style. So yes, the style will be Choate's but I think how that is accomplished will definitely look different.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

superbobcat

Post by superbobcat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:48 pm

Watched a YouTube clip of his last Hardrockers offense and I saw a lot of similarities to what we have been running. I am guessing Armstrong will still play a large role in the run game. He had a mobile QB, liked a good reverse, and similar formations.

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by duelalumnicat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:26 pm

Great! I myself like a good reverse or two.

Coach Udy, welcome to the Bobcat Nation.

sdsyvie
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by sdsyvie » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:31 am

Couple of my favorite comments from choate last night, whether in jest or not he said

- this guy was far and away the smartest guy they interviewed
- two, he said, do you know how to get the ball to the tight ends :D

superbobcat

Post by superbobcat » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:33 am

We are going to be loaded with talent and ability at the TE position. We better use them for more than a blocking dummy. I am excited about this hire. My gut tells me he is going to be good.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:07 am

superbobcat wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:33 am
We are going to be loaded with talent and ability at the TE position. We better use them for more than a blocking dummy. I am excited about this hire. My gut tells me he is going to be good.
Lot of variety at the position.

Snell seems like an H-Back to me. If we didn't have Fitzgerald, they'd probably play him at FB some. Can move around a lot, block well, versatile, but doesn't have typical TE height.

Then there's Ryan Davis, and he's a tremendous blocker. Hadley was a good WR in HS, I'd like to see him get a chance to catch some balls.

Ryan Lonergan is the gem. There's not much he can't do out there. He should be the leading TE receiver. It's really hard for a true freshman to play at that position, but he did it. Impressive.

I've heard good things about Pickering, it'll be exciting to see how he has developed. He's already listed at 240 lbs. And then there's Kessler and Gilliard, Colter talked about one of those two impressing, but I cannot remember which one. I don't know anything about Ethan Bullock, but he's got great size.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:31 am

catsrback76 wrote:

You say that his resume wasn't his strong point, and also they you loved Matt Miller.

Udy has a better resume coming into the OC job than Miller did.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:45 am

Colter said on his show yesterday that Erickson will be heavily involved in mentoring the new OC this spring.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:56 am

I really like mixing a little air raid DNA into our genetic makeup. Will result in a dynamic growth in total offense.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."