New Montana State OC

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: New Montana State OC

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:39 am

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:33 am
Well compare it the OC hire JMU made in 2018:

https://jmusports.com/sports/football/r ... omery/3074
Yeah, but we have no idea of his motivations. Maybe he was moving closer to home. Maybe he figured JMU, being a national championship contender, gave him more exposure than Charlotte, which is not a very strong program. He is more the exception than the rule.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:39 am

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:33 am
Well compare it the OC hire JMU made in 2018:

https://jmusports.com/sports/football/r ... omery/3074
I mean, that's a tremendous hire. But I don't think it's a typical hire.

JMU is also quite a bit better than we are, and I think they can pay more.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:42 am

Also please note that I said I was a bit underwhelmed, I did not say I was disappointed.

On the flip side, Beau Baldwin hired former WR Nick Edwards to be his OC at Cal Poly, who has even less experience than Udy.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:46 am

I thought Matt Miller did a good job here. Up and coming football coach.

I also think we upgraded at OC.

That's not a slight against Miller, either.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:46 am

Better to get a guy on the way up than get someone on the way down. Give me talent over experience every day of the week and twice on Saturday. I imagine a guy like Udy is chomping at the bit to put into play ideas he developed over the last two years. The characterization that @Colter_Nuanez conveyed really reminds me of some of my top students. They are incredibly bright, but recognize that it is through focused hard work that they realize success. Many of them could coast to a 3.5+ GPA on intellect alone, but put in incredible to do the job the right way, every time. These students are leaving MSU and either heading into industry where they are quickly finding great success or, more often, are heading to some of the best graduate schools around the country to pursue advanced degrees (PhD, JD, MD, etc.). It sounds like we are catching Udy on his ascent, and will be lucky to have him here while the talent (both on the field and among the rest of the staff) is rich.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:51 am

Here is my take. MSU likely attracted a good list of qualified coaches for the OC. Throw out the cost of living and MSU has to be one of the most desired coaching gigs in FCS. If Udy, being young and having limited experience, beat the field of other candidates, he must bring something special. I'm excited!

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:55 am

Sounds like he really separated himself from the other three candidates who interviewed.

From what I've heard from people who matter and who really know what's going on, this is an outstanding hire. I have to admit there was a part of me that was hoping for some big splash hire where the whole country would say "whoa, MSU got HIM???", but that's not realistic.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:59 am

Keep in mind our DC came from being a quality control asst.

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by duelalumnicat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:18 pm

I am confused. Did Denarius McGhee and Dennis Erickson actually apply for the OC position? Did McGhee leave in part because he was not going to be the new OC?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:18 pm

duelalumnicat wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:18 pm
I am confused. Did Denarius McGhee and Dennis Erickson actually apply for the OC position? Did McGhee leave in part because he was not going to be the new OC?
Where did you read that?

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:19 pm

lutecat wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:59 am
Keep in mind our DC came from being a quality control asst.
Excellent point. How many of us have benefited from a new look at our profession by taking on a new role? Very common way of growing professionally.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:52 pm

AFCAT wrote:
duelalumnicat wrote:
Where did you read that?
It was sort of implied in Vim's post on the previous page.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:54 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:31 am
Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:28 am
CelticCat wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:22 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:07 am
CelticCat wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:58 am
Not going to lie, at first glance I'm a bit underwhelmed, but like others have said, in Choate we trust.
Out of curiosity, why underwhelmed?

Who/what were you expecting?
Well as a reigning semi-finalist, back to back playoff years, likely a top 8 preseason rating, I would've expected someone with more than 2 recent years as an administrative assistant/quality control at FBS, and just 3 seasons total as an OC for a D2 team that was an NAIA team up until 2010. He has 8 total years of coaching experience, he graduated college in 2011. What I'm basically saying is we are big time in the world of FCS, I would have thought we would be in a position to have someone with more experience.

But I'm being genuine when I say I trust Choate. Dude must've killed it in his interview and references must've been glowing.
We are big in the world of FCS but what did you expect? We arent going to get FBS coordinators clearly. Our head coach was an FBS position coach, albeit with a ton of experience. We were either going to end up the FBS position coach/qc coach or a coordinator from an FCS program that isnt top tier. Tough to argue with this guy's resume given those facts.
Will also let you guys know that almost all of the applicants were in that FBS quality control category with a few exceptions (Erickson, Denarius, etc.). You almost have to go after "risers" for these positions because FBS swallows up everyone else.
As somebody else asked, were Denarius and DE actually applicants for this position? Or were they just possibilities?

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:03 pm

I also find his resume underwhelming. I was hoping we would hire someone who was a proven quarterback coach. He did not even coach QBs as OC at South Dakota Tech.

I hope I am way off base and and certainly going give him a chance to prove himself. The proof will be in the pudding.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:06 pm

While not the guy I thought was getting the job, this is the exact KIND of guy I knew Choate was bringing in. He was adamant that the man coming in run HIS offense. The DNA of this offense will be identical to previous seasons, by design. Is it likely "bigger" splash hires were available? I think so for sure. However, signing a "big name" guy who agrees to run exactly what Choate wants was not going to happen. I'm fully on board with this hire for these same reasons.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:13 pm

I just hope he hangs around for more than 1 year......

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:22 pm

I think this will be a great choice for the next few years. It would be interesting to know who the top three or four interviews were. I would guess we will see a common theme, young, some coordinating experience, and lots of quality control experience as that seems to be a big building block as these talented young coaches climb the ladder.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:35 pm

imacat wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:03 pm
I also find his resume underwhelming. I was hoping we would hire someone who was a proven quarterback coach. He did not even coach QBs as OC at South Dakota Tech.

I hope I am way off base and and certainly going give him a chance to prove himself. The proof will be in the pudding.
Serious question. What is it that Choate would have to do, that he hasn't already done, to get you to trust his judgement?

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:55 pm

imacat wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:03 pm

Udy is not a proven QB coach, but he did work with the Texas Tech QB's with David Yost, who is a pretty well known QB coach. That counts for something. Can pick up a lot from a guy line Yost (who is fantastic).

I've seen good QB coaches be bad OC's, and good OC's who aren't QB coaches at all. Really, the basics of teaching QB play isn't *that* difficult for a coach. Like all other positions, most of it is footwork. Andy Reid, for example, is a fantastic offensive and QB coach, and he wasn't anything but an OL/TE coach until 20+ years into his coaching career. Mike McCarthy is another great QB coach, and he didn't start coaching the position until 8 or so years into his coaching career. He went from WR coach, to offensive QC coach, to QB coach. These guys aren't born good coaches. They learn, study, develop. Some have more natural traits than others, but this stuff can be taught.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:59 pm

After reading Colter's article and looking at what his teams like to do, I really like this hire. I think he hits the ground running and with all the firepower we have in the backfield, I think we could see some record breaking numbers and we might not even need TA to do it!

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN