Players

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcats35
BobcatNation Redshirt

Players

Post by bobcats35 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:49 am

Cardinal rules of College Round Ball; Passing grades and being a good shooter. Coaches should be able to teach everything else. We Have several players who do not meet this criteria. And therefore we're going to struggle in a lot of games. Yesterday was a prime example. I think Sprrinkle will correct this in the future with his recruits. At least I hope he does. Can't stand losing to the enemy from the north.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Players

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:08 pm

A hoop player has to be either scrappy (get rebounds/loose balls, play D) or efficient (shooter, ball-handler, in position) or, preferably, both.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcats35
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bobcats35 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:10 pm

Those are all things a coach can teach, being a good shooter is not. You miss the point as usual.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:28 pm

Being a good shooter takes lots and lots of practice, which is coaching.

And shooting technique can be taught.

and all bball teams need more than just shooters. We need players who are smart at playing basketball.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:47 pm

bobcats35 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:10 pm
Those are all things a coach can teach, being a good shooter is not. You miss the point as usual.
Man, I get your point! From the time I was a kid getting to watch Larry Pretty Weasel, Mike Lewis, Wayne Estes, Speedy Smith, Brand Robinson, Elvis Old Bull, Tom Storm, Jack Gillespie, Willie Weeks up to high school kids like Damon Gros Ventre, Malachai Little Nest and Kendall Russell today, I wonder why the kids who excell in the classroom, can handle a basketball and can freaken shoot never get a chance in this state. Seems our female athletes have to go to a school like Nevada before anyone gives them a chance here since Robin Selvig retired...