D Mac

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Re: D Mac

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:48 pm

The biggest problem was just Marshall. Sticking to one pressure, three coverages, and one personnel group in every game against every opponent is not putting your guys in position to succeed.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:05 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:58 am
KittieKop wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:42 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:55 pm
FTG247365 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:59 pm
Cats15 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:17 pm
FTG247365 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:25 pm
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:38 pm
Apologies ahead of time if this has already been addressed in another thread; I'm WAAAAAY behind on my Cat Nation reading. I saw we hired a new RB coach; is DMac still on the staff?

Thanks!
Transferred to TCU....your way behind😉
Yeah, I broke that story 10 years ago! ;)
https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewt ... cu#p310814
Watching him play his Freshman year and taking command on the field, I was blown away. He had/has that "it" factor about him. Some day, we'll be saying he played and coached here. Lucky to have had him here.
Amen. I went to the Wazzu game that was his first ever college start and was shocked at his poise, skill, and field awareness. It's a shame he didn't have a consistent, solid coaching staff around him for 4 years... He would have been a perfect fit for a coach Choate offense.
McGhee could have started at MSU the same time as Choate did and would have been in virtually the same situation. We're literally having a discussion thread about losing yet another OC. Not sure how the "consistent, solid coaching staff" is different now than when he was a freshman here?
Ahh yes, KK is always so quick to jump to the defense of Ash. Simply put, Choate is a better head coach who by and large has consistently hired and developed top quality assistants and isn't afraid of changing things up when it becomes necessary to do so. He has his finger on the pulse of the program at all times and I don't think it's a stretch to say that he has the unwavering respect and trust of the entire program (staff and players). It's well known by now that at the end of his DM's senior season, the program was in turmoil.
Not defending anyone. Just wondering how this staff is any more stable than the staff McGhee dealt with. It was lamented at the time the revolving door he had to deal with at OC, much the same as right now. I'd just like someone to define consistent and solid. You talking head coach? OCs? Assistants? QB coach? I understand it was just a swipe at the Ash regime. Whatever, done arguing that. What do you think is more consistent now that McGhee would have benefited from? He was in a damn side better offensive system for his skill set than what we're running right now. Would the overall results been better then had the 2019 staff been in charge of those teams? Dunno, interesting discussion. Would the 2019 team won it all or been in at least the same position they were, if they'd had McGhee instead of Rovig under center? Dunno, interesting discussion.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:39 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:05 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:58 am
KittieKop wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:42 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:55 pm
FTG247365 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:59 pm
Cats15 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:17 pm
FTG247365 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:25 pm
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:38 pm
Apologies ahead of time if this has already been addressed in another thread; I'm WAAAAAY behind on my Cat Nation reading. I saw we hired a new RB coach; is DMac still on the staff?

Thanks!
Transferred to TCU....your way behind😉
Yeah, I broke that story 10 years ago! ;)
https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewt ... cu#p310814
Watching him play his Freshman year and taking command on the field, I was blown away. He had/has that "it" factor about him. Some day, we'll be saying he played and coached here. Lucky to have had him here.
Amen. I went to the Wazzu game that was his first ever college start and was shocked at his poise, skill, and field awareness. It's a shame he didn't have a consistent, solid coaching staff around him for 4 years... He would have been a perfect fit for a coach Choate offense.
McGhee could have started at MSU the same time as Choate did and would have been in virtually the same situation. We're literally having a discussion thread about losing yet another OC. Not sure how the "consistent, solid coaching staff" is different now than when he was a freshman here?
Ahh yes, KK is always so quick to jump to the defense of Ash. Simply put, Choate is a better head coach who by and large has consistently hired and developed top quality assistants and isn't afraid of changing things up when it becomes necessary to do so. He has his finger on the pulse of the program at all times and I don't think it's a stretch to say that he has the unwavering respect and trust of the entire program (staff and players). It's well known by now that at the end of his DM's senior season, the program was in turmoil.
Not defending anyone. Just wondering how this staff is any more stable than the staff McGhee dealt with. It was lamented at the time the revolving door he had to deal with at OC, much the same as right now. I'd just like someone to define consistent and solid. You talking head coach? OCs? Assistants? QB coach? I understand it was just a swipe at the Ash regime. Whatever, done arguing that. What do you think is more consistent now that McGhee would have benefited from? He was in a damn side better offensive system for his skill set than what we're running right now. Would the overall results been better then had the 2019 staff been in charge of those teams? Dunno, interesting discussion. Would the 2019 team won it all or been in at least the same position they were, if they'd had McGhee instead of Rovig under center? Dunno, interesting discussion.
You bring up good points. And I really don’t want to take sides here as I loved Ash. That said....

Things were not good the last few seasons with Ash. Coaches were literally seeking out jobs at other places during the season to get out. There was a HUGE disconnect between offense and defense staff and players. People were leaving because they really wanted to just leave.

Currently, we’re losing staff because they are seeking better opportunities. I’m sure some Ash members were too but the underlying fact was they just wanted out. I don’t think that is the case with current staff.

To put it another way, the staff we lost under Ash were leaving and no way were ever coming back. While the guys moving on to greener pastures now I could whole heartedly see coming back under the right circumstances.

Again, I’m not trying to take sides. Just pointing out that staff leaving under one guy isn’t necessarily the same as staff leaving under another guy.

I’m happy to have had both Ash and Choate leading our program.