NEW OC NAMES?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: NEW OC NAMES?

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:05 pm

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:03 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:57 pm
superbobcat wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:46 pm
I don't buy the Erickson discussion. I just don't see that as a move that Coach Choate will make. I think he will bring in a young experienced OC.
Agreed. While we all get excited about the idea of having such a famous coach on staff, I don't really see that as the direction Choate will go with it. But if John Stockton can end up as an assistant basketball coach for a year, then anything's possible!
While I agree with you on all this, Stockton was a special circumstance with his daughter on the team.
And it gave John the opportunity to finally get that championship ring. :D
Last edited by AFCAT on Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:06 pm

MSU01 wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
I don't buy the Erickson discussion. I just don't see that as a move that Coach Choate will make. I think he will bring in a young experienced OC.
Agreed. While we all get excited about the idea of having such a famous coach on staff, I don't really see that as the direction Choate will go with it. But if John Stockton can end up as an assistant basketball coach for a year, then anything's possible!
While I agree with you on all this, Stockton was a special circumstance with his daughter on the team.
You could argue that Erickson also has the special circumstance of having played and began his coaching career at MSU. Probably not quite the strength of what happened with Stockton but it's not like Erickson would be out there applying for a bunch of FCS OC jobs.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:07 pm

MSU01 wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
Erickson would also be a special circumstance, a retired coach with ties to MSU perhaps looking to scratch his football itch one last time.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:10 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:07 pm
MSU01 wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
Erickson would also be a special circumstance, a retired coach with ties to MSU perhaps looking to scratch his football itch one last time.
I dont consider being his alma mater as a special circumstance like Stockton. As you said, he is retired.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:11 pm

Dennis was very involved last spring and summer. I'm not saying the job is his. But if Choate decides to go that route it will have nothing to do with the fact that he's a famous coach and a splash hire. He's obviously very capable and just might be the best guy for the job right now.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:13 pm

I don't see Erickson as the OC. But I could see him with a "Special Advisor" classification. Gives everyone some freedom and flexibility.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:14 pm

MSU01 wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
Kyle Whittingham was in a position several years ago where he wanted to keep his young, talented coach Brian Johnson (who, btw, was brilliant as the Ute's QB when they went undefeated and beat the snot out of Alabama. He is still the winningest QB at Utah at 26-7, ahead of Alex Smith). But Coach Whit knew Brian wasn't quite ready to fully take the reigns as OC. So, he brought in Dennis as co-OC, really as a mentor for Brian. They shared play calling duties so that the young coach could develop. I was thinking that would look like DMac & Dennis, but now DMac's gone, I don't see that scenario.

I could see Dennis be used as a consultant (if he wanted to), but I don't know the rules at FCS about paid non-coaching staff. P5 schools do it all the time.

I agree that in today's world - anything could happen, it seems.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:15 pm

Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:10 pm
CelticCat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
I dont consider being his alma mater as a special circumstance like Stockton. As you said, he is retired.
Not in the same boat perhaps as the Stockton thing, but I doubt too may FCS schools have a retired HOFer, FBS national championship winning, NFL head coach that just happens to be an alumni and past team coach just hanging out at practices potentially willing to throw his hat into the ring.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:52 pm

CelticCat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
He went back to UI as head coach in 2006 and went 4-8. Didn't stay but the one year.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:36 pm

JDoub wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:14 pm
MSU01 wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
Kyle Whittingham was in a position several years ago where he wanted to keep his young, talented coach Brian Johnson (who, btw, was brilliant as the Ute's QB when they went undefeated and beat the snot out of Alabama. He is still the winningest QB at Utah at 26-7, ahead of Alex Smith). But Coach Whit knew Brian wasn't quite ready to fully take the reigns as OC. So, he brought in Dennis as co-OC, really as a mentor for Brian. They shared play calling duties so that the young coach could develop. I was thinking that would look like DMac & Dennis, but now DMac's gone, I don't see that scenario.

I could see Dennis be used as a consultant (if he wanted to), but I don't know the rules at FCS about paid non-coaching staff. P5 schools do it all the time.

I agree that in today's world - anything could happen, it seems.
Seems like DMac would have been ideal for that type of scenario.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:17 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:52 pm
CelticCat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
He went back to UI as head coach in 2006 and went 4-8. Didn't stay but the one year.
I don't think it can be understated how bad Idaho has been since leaving the Big Sky. 5 winning seasons in 22 years, with exactly 1 conference championship - in 1998. They've only won 2 total conference championships since 1990! They are 3-0 in all 3 of their bowl games however, which they appeared in once every 10 years.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:22 pm

My feelings about the OC position going to Erickson is along the lines of using him as we have recently. Keep using him for input rather than the OC. Could he do the job? Absolutely, but it seems like a short term gig for him, and though it is true our OC's don't ever stay long, I'd rather see an up and comer like we've just had (Miller) be given the position.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:41 am

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:48 am

For anyone that thinks its Dennis, don't you think we would announce it before signing day? Get those last minute kids. Use it as a tool. Not wait to announce it until during or after.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:32 am

lutecat wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:48 am
For anyone that thinks its Dennis, don't you think we would announce it before signing day? Get those last minute kids. Use it as a tool. Not wait to announce it until during or after.
I think most recruits know about these things before they get announced.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:45 am

lutecat wrote:
Genuine question.

How many of these kids do you think have heard of Dennis? He has a fantastic resume, but his best stuff was done 20-30 years ago.

Telling them that he's a HOF coach is without a doubt impressive, but I have my doubts about a 72 year old coach coming out of retirement having a big effect on recruiting.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:55 am

lutecat wrote:
I don’t think we have any last minute kids in this period. I think it’s all pretty much wrapped up.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:06 am

How did this Erickson thing get started? Did someone hear something, or just start a wild rumor?

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:11 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:55 am
lutecat wrote:
I don’t think we have any last minute kids in this period. I think it’s all pretty much wrapped up.
I think we may get one or two more HS signees ... there is a transfer or two I know we are after - especially at DE. But I do think we are about wrapped up as well

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:17 am

Bozcat003 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:11 am
wbtfg wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:55 am
lutecat wrote:
I think we may get one or two more HS signees ... there is a transfer or two I know we are after - especially at DE. But I do think we are about wrapped up as well
Ive heard there is expected to be 8 new signers this period (which includes transfers).

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."