griz entering the portal today

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Re: griz entering the portal today

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:44 am

HelenaCat wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:22 am
LTown Cat wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:04 am
HelenaCat wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:55 am
Why would he bother to enter the portal if he is just going to transfer somewhere to play basketball?
I'm pretty sure you have to now.
I guess that does not make much sense to me if you are just giving up your scholarship and want to transfer somewhere to play another sport. The portal only makes sense if you are looking for options on where to play football. But it is the NCAA, so nothing needs to make sense.
I could be wrong but I think the portal is just the avenue with compliance to start the ball rolling on getting your release.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:07 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:44 am
HelenaCat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:
Why would he bother to enter the portal if he is just going to transfer somewhere to play basketball?
I guess that does not make much sense to me if you are just giving up your scholarship and want to transfer somewhere to play another sport. The portal only makes sense if you are looking for options on where to play football. But it is the NCAA, so nothing needs to make sense.
I could be wrong but I think the portal is just the avenue with compliance to start the ball rolling on getting your release.
The portal is for time travel. Not sure how the ncaa got its hands on it.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:38 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:07 pm
LTown Cat wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:44 am
HelenaCat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:
The portal is for time travel. Not sure how the ncaa got its hands on it.
That’s true! Jay Bilas is right...there just isn’t enough money!!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:09 am

A two year Griz starter at CB, Dareon Nash, has entered the transfer portal. Based on the online Griz roster, about 10+ players have left the program, including Nick Germer, Egbo, Eastwood and Jed Nagler.

https://egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.p ... 6&start=20

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:21 am

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:09 am
A two year Griz starter at CB, Dareon Nash, has entered the transfer portal. Based on the online Griz roster, about 10+ players have left the program, including Nick Germer, Egbo, Eastwood and Jed Nagler.

I think it's been understood but unspoken that riding the pine is Hauck's way of retaliating against Eastwood since Tucker Yates knocked the ball loose on the goal line in 2018. Is there anyone who didn't see this coming?

As far as Germer goes, that's got to be a little awkward with his dad on the staff. I seem to remember him being one of the first offers Hauck made when returning to missoula.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:53 am

Cledus wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:21 am
Cataholic wrote:

I think it's been understood but unspoken that riding the pine is Hauck's way of retaliating against Eastwood since Tucker Yates knocked the ball loose on the goal line in 2018. Is there anyone who didn't see this coming?

As far as Germer goes, that's got to be a little awkward with his dad on the staff. I seem to remember him being one of the first offers Hauck made when returning to missoula.
Big discussion over there, Eastwood stinks and not d1 vs he was good and was a d1 player. They are being pretty tough on the kid.
A few are surprised at a couple that are leaving...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:24 pm

When Bob Hawk came back, he made a big production out of signing Montana guys. He signed a ton right away as if MSU and other schools missed and overlooked them all. I had a feeling at the time it was mostly for optics and appearances.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:59 am

Cataholic wrote:

I wonder if the Cats would look at Nash? - he's a solid CB, made some nice open field tackles on Ifanse, which few CB's in our league can. He played with Damien Washington in HS.

It would be nice to add an experienced Big Sky corner

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:35 am

JDoub wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:59 am
Cataholic wrote:

I wonder if the Cats would look at Nash? - he's a solid CB, made some nice open field tackles on Ifanse, which few CB's in our league can. He played with Damien Washington in HS.

Not gonna happen. He'd have to sit a year to be eligible to play UNLESS hauck waives the BSC rule. Not gonna happen even if Choate did want him and I dont see a compelling reason he would want to.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:31 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:35 am
JDoub wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Not gonna happen. He'd have to sit a year to be eligible to play UNLESS hauck waives the BSC rule. Not gonna happen even if Choate did want him and I dont see a compelling reason he would want to.
I am not sure the one year out is necessary because he is a graduate transfer.

A two year starter in the Big Sky is valuable, but we actually seem pretty loaded in the secondary. I for one would let him on the team to compete.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:55 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:31 pm
Montanabob wrote:
JDoub wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

A two year starter in the Big Sky is valuable, but we actually seem pretty loaded in the secondary. I for one would let him on the team to compete.
Pretty sure graduate transfer doesn't matter. It's a Big sky conference rule.

Intra-Conference Transfer Rule
In all Big Sky Championship Sports, a student-athlete who receives athletically-related financial aid and transfers directly to another Big Sky Conference member institution must fulfill a residence requirement of one full academic year before competing. During that period, the student-athlete shall not be offered, provided or have arranged directly or indirectly any earned or unearned athletically-related financial aid. A recruited non-qualifier, although not receiving athletically related aid, is bound by this provision unless released in writing by the Athletic Director of the previous institution.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:33 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:55 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
JDoub wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

In all Big Sky Championship Sports, a student-athlete who receives athletically-related financial aid and transfers directly to another Big Sky Conference member institution must fulfill a residence requirement of one full academic year before competing. During that period, the student-athlete shall not be offered, provided or have arranged directly or indirectly any earned or unearned athletically-related financial aid. A recruited non-qualifier, although not receiving athletically related aid, is bound by this provision unless released in writing by the Athletic Director of the previous institution.
Good information. That is really interesting. With the implementation of the portal and the ever changing rules for transfers, I wonder if any of that has changed.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:53 pm

He'd never see the field for the Cats. We have two-deep guys better than him.

GO CATS GO!!!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:40 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:33 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:55 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
JDoub wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Good information. That is really interesting. With the implementation of the portal and the ever changing rules for transfers, I wonder if any of that has changed.
Pretty sure that has zero impact on BSC rules. Others have had coaches release them from the BSC requirement - Robbie hauck may have met this requirement when he followed daddy but I don't know if he met the financial support required by the above BSC rule to prevent transfers from immediately playing. However, the AD waived the one year requirement.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:09 pm

Well, Nash ended up at... Idaho...

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:33 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:09 pm
Well, Nash ended up at... Idaho...
Wow, I just saw this thread and the Nash news. He was their best defensive player against us during Cat/Griz. Ya, the linebackers had a lot of tackles but, many were downfield. Nash kept things honest on his side of the field.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:22 pm

Griz MBB being bit by the transfer portal.
https://www.kbzk.com/montana-starting-g ... fer-portal

Beasley is now the fifth player to enter the portal from this year's Griz team, which also includes sixth man Cameron Parker and role player Kyle Owens.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:10 pm

wapiti wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:22 pm

Beasley is now the fifth player to enter the portal from this year's Griz team, which also includes sixth man Cameron Parker and role player Kyle Owens.
The wheels are falling off both hoop teams over in the Zoo. Nice.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:48 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:10 pm
wapiti wrote:

I know the Griz men have lost a few guys to the portal but what happened to the women? I thought their new coach did a pretty nice job in Year 1 and had things turning around in the right direction for them after the Schweyen debacle.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:23 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:48 pm
PHAT CAT wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:10 pm
wapiti wrote:

I know the Griz men have lost a few guys to the portal but what happened to the women? I thought their new coach did a pretty nice job in Year 1 and had things turning around in the right direction for them after the Schweyen debacle.
Three head coaches in three years. I have some good friends who played for the lady Griz. They're all still pissed off about whats going on with the program. Just saying, things are not all sunshine and rainbows in Missoula right now.