Cost Of Attendance proposal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Cost Of Attendance proposal

Post by Montanabob » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:01 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:53 pm
oedipuss wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:58 am
A few things:

1). The COA stipends have to be paid proportionate to total scholarships - you can't just hand out the same amount of money to all student-athletes. MSU offers around 220 Full Athletic scholarships for the NCAA varsity sports

2). In 2017, MSU paid 72% of the Full Cost of Attendance in its scholarship package (according to the formula for determining what is Full Cost). Meaning the total stipend it could pay at that time was about $4000 per scholarship - putting total stipend cost ~$900,000.

3). One of the reasons this next year is probably a great year to role this out is probably due to the lack of expenses for football travel in the athletic department. The football team doesn't leave the Northwest - the longest trip of the year is to Portland. That GREATLY reduces overall athletic expenditures and will provide a significant amount of revenue that could potentially play into the ever shifting balance sheet of a D-1 athletic dept.

4). You want to make this thing happen the least "painful" way possible? James Madison grossed $250,000 on beer sales just at football games last year (their first year of selling beer at games). Come up with a reasonable policy that brings beer sales to Bobcat stadium, Shroyer, and the Brick and you probably make a significant dent in FCOA.
The beer sales idea has some legs, I think.
Sure, MSU would sell beer.
um would offer whiteclaw.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

sdsyvie
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by sdsyvie » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:46 am

Montanabob wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:01 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
oedipuss wrote:
A few things:

1). The COA stipends have to be paid proportionate to total scholarships - you can't just hand out the same amount of money to all student-athletes. MSU offers around 220 Full Athletic scholarships for the NCAA varsity sports

2). In 2017, MSU paid 72% of the Full Cost of Attendance in its scholarship package (according to the formula for determining what is Full Cost). Meaning the total stipend it could pay at that time was about $4000 per scholarship - putting total stipend cost ~$900,000.

3). One of the reasons this next year is probably a great year to role this out is probably due to the lack of expenses for football travel in the athletic department. The football team doesn't leave the Northwest - the longest trip of the year is to Portland. That GREATLY reduces overall athletic expenditures and will provide a significant amount of revenue that could potentially play into the ever shifting balance sheet of a D-1 athletic dept.

4). You want to make this thing happen the least "painful" way possible? James Madison grossed $250,000 on beer sales just at football games last year (their first year of selling beer at games). Come up with a reasonable policy that brings beer sales to Bobcat stadium, Shroyer, and the Brick and you probably make a significant dent in FCOA.
I would say hard alcohol in a brown bag would be more appropriate for those in zoo town

ameriCATS
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ameriCATS » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:33 pm

I think you underestimate the value of whiteclaw, even among 30 something MSU alums with the money to spend on alcohol at football games...

Red White, Blue and Gold. Freedom and Football favor the bold

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:48 pm

ameriCATS wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:33 pm
I think you underestimate the value of whiteclaw, even among 30 something MSU alums with the money to spend on alcohol at football games...
Are you referring to 30-something year old alumni or 30 total fans? I am thinking the later.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:09 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:48 pm
ameriCATS wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:33 pm
Are you referring to 30-something year old alumni or 30 total fans? I am thinking the later.
It amazes me how many whiteclaws I see when at bars anymore. I do think this would be a mute point however, I believe a beer license would allow for hard seltzer products as well. This is based solely on the fact that the hard seltzer’s are delivered by the beer distributor

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:50 pm

Seltzers, aka " hard seltzers" are defined as Flavored Malt Beverages (FMB) as the alcohol produced is from fermented sugars and/ or malts. They fall in the same category as beer. Hard tea also falls into this category. Far be it from me to critique what people like to drink when it comes to alcohol, but I personally do not drink teas or seltzers as I find them to be disgusting. But they do sell, and are gaining traction with the millennial generation mostly.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:35 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:50 pm
Seltzers, aka " hard seltzers" are defined as Flavored Malt Beverages (FMB) as the alcohol produced is from fermented sugars and/ or malts. They fall in the same category as beer. Hard tea also falls into this category. Far be it from me to critique what people like to drink when it comes to alcohol, but I personally do not drink teas or seltzers as I find them to be disgusting. But they do sell, and are gaining traction with the millennial generation mostly.
Spot on. Have only found a couple of ciders that I can say were palatable. But they are popular. Really cannot understand why.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:14 pm

RickRund wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:35 pm
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Spot on. Have only found a couple of ciders that I can say were palatable. But they are popular. Really cannot understand why.
Alright fine, I'll admit I kinda like the seltzers. There are a few others on here that I know are too scared to admit it, but what the hell. I decided a year or so ago to drop a few pounds and beer was one of the things that needed to go. I didn't want to try them but I liked the taste. There's not a ton of flavor and I don't mind that. I don't like sweet drinks, and I've never cared that much about craft beers. I don't get bloated like I do on beer and I've lost about 70 pounds (only partially because of cutting way back on beer), so I don't mind the sacrifice. Having said that, I'm still not ordering one in a bar. They're good on the golf course and the lake though. I'd probably buy a couple at a Bobcat game.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:17 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:14 pm
RickRund wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Alright fine, I'll admit I kinda like the seltzers. There are a few others on here that I know are too scared to admit it, but what the hell. I decided a year or so ago to drop a few pounds and beer was one of the things that needed to go. I didn't want to try them but I liked the taste. There's not a ton of flavor and I don't mind that. I don't like sweet drinks, and I've never cared that much about craft beers. I don't get bloated like I do on beer and I've lost about 70 pounds (only partially because of cutting way back on beer), so I don't mind the sacrifice. Having said that, I'm still not ordering one in a bar. They're good on the golf course and the lake though. I'd probably buy a couple at a Bobcat game.
Lost about 70#... That is incredible. Congratulations!!!

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:42 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
I read an article that Montana drinks the most White Claws per capita in the nation. :lol:

"White Claw, unlike IPAs or rosé, appears to have a gender neutral appeal and while Montana is the state that consumes the most per capita, the cult of White Claw has swept the nation from coast to coast."

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:01 pm

Yes that is correct, people in Montana like their alcohol, just not the high quality types of alcohol. The top 3 selling liquors in Montana in 2018 were Black Velvet whiskey, Gordon Vodka, and Fireball. nuf said..... :bag: At least Kettlehouse Coldsmoke is the top selling Montana made craft beer.

Back on topic, MSU should do whatever it takes to make COA a reality preferably THIS year.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:42 am

It will not be alcohol sales unless there is a huge upgrade in vending capability and bathroom capability. MSU paid for a study several years back just on that point. I don’t know if the new additions will have this particular capability.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:50 am

RickRund wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:17 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:14 pm
RickRund wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Lost about 70#... That is incredible. Congratulations!!!
Thanks, feels pretty good!

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:16 pm

Montanabob wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
oedipuss wrote:
A few things:

Apparently you didn't look around the tailgates very closely last fall.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:27 pm

I was pretty sure this would turn into a beer snob thread once alcohol sales were mentioned. Just wasn't sure when. Turns out it didn't take that long. :roll:

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:45 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:27 pm
I was pretty sure this would turn into a beer snob thread once alcohol sales were mentioned. Just wasn't sure when. Turns out it didn't take that long. :roll:
Cold Smoke or Copper John. Okay? Anything else might as well be Coors Light.

Danster21
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Danster21 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:25 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Lmao I was thinking the same thing. I saw there were new comments and hoping it was discussion about COA. Psych! Lol

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:37 am

Danster21 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:25 am
Long Time Cat wrote:
Lmao I was thinking the same thing. I saw there were new comments and hoping it was discussion about COA. Psych! Lol
2 ways to detail any thread, mention beer or qb⚡

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:33 am

Only thing better might be a drunk QB. 🤣😂

I’d throw a few dollars to support COA.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:47 am

kcatz wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:16 pm
Montanabob wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
oedipuss wrote:
A few things:

Apparently you didn't look around the tailgates very closely last fall.
The beer topic is always a stupid one but you are exactly right on this. People can make fun of whatever they want, obviously. But you're kidding yourself or just not paying attention if you don't think about 90% of our fanbase was pounding the Claws all season long. Guys, girls, old people, young people, dumb people, smart people, and even strong people!