WBB vs Idaho State. BE THERE! $2 day!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

WBB vs Idaho State. BE THERE! $2 day!

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:24 pm

Okay folks. Our first place women's basketball team plays perennial pain in the butt-Idaho State 2PM on Saturday. ISU always plays us tough. Their coach is a master at working the refs. Their players are the most physical in the league. The Bengals beat up the lady griz tonight. They're pretty good.

All tickets are only $2! Watching ISU's coach whine is worth that much!

If you haven't caught our team yet, get to this one. We've got three of the best freshmen you'll ever see. We've got five great seniors. This team is very good, in first place, but still a work in progress. They will get better. And they absolutely deserve a big loud crowd getting behind them.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: WBB vs Idaho State. BE THERE! $2 day!

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:46 am

I do not understand why ISU is allowed to get away with their football style of defense (and offense). I’d love to see an official stand up to Sobeleski some time, and just start blowing the whistle and never quit.

I really enjoy the women’s game of basketball, and I watch quite a few games from other conferences. The thing that always strikes me is how much spacing there is between the players and how few rugby style scrums occur on the floor. Significant contact draws a whistle and the game is played for the most part on two feet, standing up. If a game is “physical” it is because the players are strong and athletic, not because of wanton fouling. I wish the Big Sky would clean up its play — where a very athletic, speedy team like our Bobcats would not be threatened by blatant fouling — not physical play — but fouling. The Griz only made 4 field goals in the second half. 36 fouls called in Missoula tonight. Tackle defense. If Bob Scofield happens to bring his crew to officiate, I’m not sure even PlutoTV and 800 miles is enough separation for me to watch.

Go, Bobcats!! Coach Bin, as I told you this summer, I love what you are doing here. Basketball fans or not, if you want to see an awesome Bobcat team with some serious skills, get over to the Brick and get behind them and get noisy. It’s the best deal in town Saturday night. Let’s put this one down with a W!

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:21 pm

Going to be a physical game inside. I hope our team is ready for hand to hand combat! We don’t seem to be able to stand up well against physical teams. Hoping Binford isn’t afraid to mix up her lineup a little.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:30 am

Catlady wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:21 pm
Going to be a physical game inside. I hope our team is ready for hand to hand combat! We don’t seem to be able to stand up well against physical teams. Hoping Binford isn’t afraid to mix up her lineup a little.
I thought pre-conference they did well in the games that I watched against Minnesota, Wichita State and Texas A&M. They were all pretty physical in that they had big, strong, fast athletes. And we mixed it up pretty well. But then, the rules of basketball were enforced in those games. If, in the unlikely chance that is the case tomorrow, we’ll win easily.

Go, ‘Cats! I’ll be yelling and agonizing and everything that a fan(atic) does. =D^ #-o

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:34 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:30 am
Catlady wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:21 pm
I thought pre-conference they did well in the games that I watched against Minnesota, Wichita State and Texas A&M. They were all pretty physical in that they had big, strong, fast athletes. And we mixed it up pretty well. But then, the rules of basketball were enforced in those games. If, in the unlikely chance that is the case tomorrow, we’ll win easily.

Go, ‘Cats! I’ll be yelling and agonizing and everything that a fan(atic) does. =D^ #-o
I agree that we showed up in those games, but we seem to do better in tougher games when Braxton is on the floor. She might not be as polished offensively , but her defense and rebounding skills are superior. These are the types of games in which we have to take advantage of our depth. I watched the Texas A&M game and she was a force. We need to cut down on the turnovers and play tough interior defense. Also need to focus on keeping their 3pt success to a minimum. Defense will win this game and the battle of the boards.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:12 am

I’ll be there. Bought some $2 tickets for the neighbor girls. Calling some other friends this morning.

Re ISU Coach Sobolewski, back in the day we might have rounded up a bunch of our rowdier fans, started with brunch and beverages say around noon (or maybe skipped the brunch), then developed some appropriate or not appropriate love messages to gently share with the coach alllllllllll game long...sitting behind his bench. Just sayin we might have done that...not that us innocent, kind, considerate, charming, meek, mild, caring, full of wisdom fans ever ever ever did anything like that....

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:37 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:12 am
I’ll be there. Bought some $2 tickets for the neighbor girls. Calling some other friends this morning.

Re ISU Coach Sobolewski, back in the day we might have rounded up a bunch of our rowdier fans, started with brunch and beverages say around noon (or maybe skipped the brunch), then developed some appropriate or not appropriate love messages to gently share with the coach alllllllllll game long...sitting behind his bench. Just sayin we might have done that...not that us innocent, kind, considerate, charming, meek, mild, caring, full of wisdom fans ever ever ever did anything like that....
Our group sat directly across the court from the visiting coach. Anything that we might have seen or heard was greatly appreciated and applauded, but I don’t remember. I did my best work with one particular guy who always dressed in black and white stripes. :lol:

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:56 pm

Appears the refs are letting them play physical. Either that or the shooting is poor. 29-24 MSU up at half b

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:57 pm

Sounds like they grind out the win. 67-59. Isu got it down to five briefly. MSU now 8-1 in league.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:09 pm

Solid win and Squires is definitely back! I notice lately how much these girls smile and interact with each other when there is a break in play. Their camaraderie seems very good =D^

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:54 pm

A great win for the ‘Cats. Play was a bit rough, but not as bad as usual with ISU. Defense was active by both sides, resulting in plenty of missed shots. And a few wide-open misses that were self-inflicted. MSU only trailed for 16 seconds, and won each quarter. Our depth definitely helped out, as well as our ability to steal the ball from them 12 times. Six players with eight or more points. A monster plus/minus game for Madeline Smith. In the 24 minutes that she played we out scored Idaho State by 22 points. Kudos to everyone for playing a very mature game and working together to control the game and eventually win. Go ‘Cats!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:51 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:09 pm
I notice lately how much these girls smile and interact with each other when there is a break in play. Their camaraderie seems very good =D^
I love that about our team.

The best part of the game was the last minute when ISU tried to press and Darian White made them look like the Washington Generals. That was really fun to watch. I thought Binford almost overcoached it there at the end, calling a timeout to take the ball out over the half line. There was no need-just let Darian go-sit back and watch.

We always seemed to have them at arms length, but could never get that dagger 3 to go to really break their will. ISU, like they always do, just kept fighting. They are young though and being super physical with young players doesn't work as well against our five seniors who have seen it all. Still-ISU is a team we'll have to be wary of if we get them in the tournament.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:08 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:46 am
I do not understand why ISU is allowed to get away with their football style of defense (and offense). I’d love to see an official stand up to Sobeleski some time, and just start blowing the whistle and never quit.

I really enjoy the women’s game of basketball, and I watch quite a few games from other conferences. The thing that always strikes me is how much spacing there is between the players and how few rugby style scrums occur on the floor. Significant contact draws a whistle and the game is played for the most part on two feet, standing up. If a game is “physical” it is because the players are strong and athletic, not because of wanton fouling. I wish the Big Sky would clean up its play — where a very athletic, speedy team like our Bobcats would not be threatened by blatant fouling — not physical play — but fouling. The Griz only made 4 field goals in the second half. 36 fouls called in Missoula tonight. Tackle defense. If Bob Scofield happens to bring his crew to officiate, I’m not sure even PlutoTV and 800 miles is enough separation for me to watch.

Go, Bobcats!! Coach Bin, as I told you this summer, I love what you are doing here. Basketball fans or not, if you want to see an awesome Bobcat team with some serious skills, get over to the Brick and get behind them and get noisy. It’s the best deal in town Saturday night. Let’s put this one down with a W!
Scofield almost kicked me out of a women's game couple of years ago. I was down in one of the courtside seats and talking a lot to the players like "that's what we want Hanna" , "keep it up Cats" and talking to the opposing team at the free throw line. I also disputed some of the calls like "shake your head your eyes are shut"! Scofield came over and said "One more word out of you and you're gone"! Binford told me that he kicked her dad out once!

2024 Resume dominance

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:12 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Solid win and Squires is definitely back! I notice lately how much these girls smile and interact with each other when there is a break in play. Their camaraderie seems very good =D^
Yes it is good. They really look like they would be a fun group to coach. Good “team”...everyone willing to play their roll or whatever coach asks them to do.

Squires definitely added an offensive boost when she came in...a couple times she hit key buckets that just seemed to stop any runs ISU was trying to make. She should be back full speed next week for the Griz. Just in time!

Maybe it was just me.....but I thought ISU Coach Sobolewski was a bit better behaved this year. Go figure. Did not to have voice my displeasure much. Spouse had me on a leash. :-#

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:00 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:08 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:46 am

Scofield almost kicked me out of a women's game couple of years ago. I was down in one of the courtside seats and talking a lot to the players like "that's what we want Hanna" , "keep it up Cats" and talking to the opposing team at the free throw line. I also disputed some of the calls like "shake your head your eyes are shut"! Scofield came over and said "One more word out of you and you're gone"! Binford told me that he kicked her dad out once!
Okay, I feel better now. Not the only one to have Scofield fun. One of the opposing point guards was leading with an arm bar every time she came off a ball screen at the head of the key. Bam. Bam. Bam. I politely (truly) mentioned that it was a foul and he knew it and he should call it. And every time it happened I reminded him. The back of his neck started to get red and then his ears. I may have mentioned rabbit ears, but I highly doubt it. Fortunately we sat five rows up. When he turned around he didn’t immediately find me, and for some reason I actually shut up real quick. He took a couple more looks but seemed to have some doubt. My wife mentioned that she thought he looked like he was going to toss someone and it better not be me. I had actually never thought of that possibility. Silenced by a higher power I watched the rest of the game in peace. Over the years I offered words of encouragement to many officials from those seats — never profane, just good advice. My point here is that he was the only one to turn red, or ever acknowledge the reminders. Thin skin, and good ears, for a mailman. 8)

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:34 am

First place by one game at 8-1.

toM StUber

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:04 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:34 am
While technically correct, that's a little misleading, because we're actually tied with Idaho in the loss column, and of course they have a head to head win over us. That's a game we probably should have won, and hopefully we'll get them back when we play them in Moscow in a few weeks. It looks like MSU and UI are clearly the top 2 teams in the conference. We had 2 really good wins this weekend though, and I'm looking forward to continuing our recent domination of UM next Saturday. Are both the men's and women's Cat-Griz games on SWX?

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:43 pm

John K wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:04 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:34 am
While technically correct, that's a little misleading, because we're actually tied with Idaho in the loss column, and of course they have a head to head win over us. That's a game we probably should have won, and hopefully we'll get them back when we play them in Moscow in a few weeks. It looks like MSU and UI are clearly the top 2 teams in the conference. We had 2 really good wins this weekend though, and I'm looking forward to continuing our recent domination of UM next Saturday. Are both the men's and women's Cat-Griz games on SWX?
We might get some help Monday night. UI goes to SUU. The T-birds are undefeated at home this year (8-0 home, 1-7 road). That includes Portland State and Idaho State. No easy task for anyone it seems.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:08 am

Had a decent crowd at 2357 for ISU. A bit better than the approx. 1500 for the last 3 home games. Always hoping for more. Team deserves it.

Doing similar to what I did on men’s BB site. For women avg home attendance through last several years:

Season 19-20 2298 (season to date)
Season 18-19 TBD (stat link not working...I will follow up)
Season 17-18 2143
Season 16-17 1728
Season 15-16 1468
Season 14-15 1065

Trend is in right direction....how to keep pushing, cajoling, convincing....

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:58 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:12 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
Yes it is good. They really look like they would be a fun group to coach. Good “team”...everyone willing to play their roll or whatever coach asks them to do.

Squires definitely added an offensive boost when she came in...a couple times she hit key buckets that just seemed to stop any runs ISU was trying to make. She should be back full speed next week for the Griz. Just in time!

Maybe it was just me.....but I thought ISU Coach Sobolewski was a bit better behaved this year. Go figure. Did not to have voice my displeasure much. Spouse had me on a leash. :-#
Yeah I don't think he was acting up at all.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz