MBB vs EWU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

MBB vs EWU

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:39 pm

We have maybe three D-1 caliber players. Now that everybody has a good scout on us it's painfully obvious that Sprinkle is out of options. We have three guys who can occasionally make baskets and a whole bunch of guys just running around hoping for the best. The second half of the season is going to be long. The Big Sky tournament is going to be short. We just can't get enough good basketball players to come to MSU.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: MBB vs EWU

Post by Camo_Cat » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:43 pm

I was confident early on that this was gonna be a better season than ones we've had lately, but the last few games have been awful. It's been so bad for so long, we are definitely gonna need patience because Danny isn't gonna get it turned around overnight.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:17 pm

All I know is the EWU coach is a punk-ass B---- and so is half of his team!!

Perfect reflection of that S--- university, especially the coach and #10!!! :rant: :rant:

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:14 pm

I think belo in another year, borja, bellach will all be ball players. Others have been good at times but when it goes bad, it goes really bad. Adamu is schizo even within halves. 3 possessions in a row he'll body up a smaller guard and score effortlessly. The next 7 minutes, he's a turnover machine. Paulo has lost his confidence on offense. Quinlan is a nonfactor. We are just too challenged offensively to contend in the top 4 or 5. Danny will get it though, I'm confident. The fan support is ready and waiting, I feel like this AD is more committed to basketball than others in the past, and the university is rising. It'll come, but we need patience.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:22 pm

I watched the last 6 minutes of the game and it was painful to watch.
If we didn't turn it over, we missed the shot and no chance at a offense rebound.

Frey is really good.
Belo has potential to be pretty good
Kirby has been out, but when he was in he was a factor on defense. When he is back we may start getting a few more Ws.
Laden has been cold and struggles to get himself open.

The rest of the team is either cold or ok. The past 4 games they have been cold.

aucat

Post by aucat » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:42 pm

The thing that confuses me is how we began the season. We were playing some very good teams (Utah State for example) in hostile
arenas right down to the wire. What has changed? The biggest change is the injury to Kirby I guess. But gosh, when I look at a team like
EWU who has multiple guys who can make threes, and compare them to our bunch, I just don't know how we did so well early in the season.

Danny has some big time recruiting that he needs to do. Especially when you consider we lose Frey after this season. Several weeks ago I was eager for the Cat-Griz game here. Now, I''m afraid the streak will simply be extended and we may just get taken to the woodshed. Consider that the team that whipped us by double digits tonight lost to UM by 27 points one week ago. OUCH! But that's just the point, Belgrade Bobcat. You state above "We just can't get enough good basketball players to come to MSU." I would tend to agree, but I have always said, if UM can get good basketball players to come play in the state of Montana, then there is absolutely no reason why we should not be able to get good players. In my honest opinion, MSU is a far superior institution to UM anyway these days. But I do agree with Belgrade Bobcat that we don't appear to have many D-1 players on our team right now, at least based on the way we have been playing these past few games.

Mcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Mcat » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:10 am

Whoa! Even teams with high quality talent do not consistently win without moving the ball, moving without the ball, moving the ball outside in and inside out, and setting good screens for shooters.
EWU gave a clinic tonight on all of that including the skip pass! The ball never stuck in someones hands. Even quick short passes can be very effective to allow space for shooters.
We are not doing these things consistently or at all in some cases. Screen and roll at the top, low post entry, and a lot of one on one moves off the dribble. Our D is solid! Always can improve, but the coaches will figure this out on O. They have lot's of film. We have the pieces, just need to play together as a unit, in a similar way as we are all tied together as a unit on D.

Mcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Mcat » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:13 am

Whoa! Even teams with high quality talent do not consistently win without moving the ball, moving without the ball, moving the ball outside in and inside out, and setting good screens for shooters.
EWU gave a clinic tonight on all of that including the skip pass! The ball never stuck in someones hands. Even quick short passes can be very effective to allow space for shooters.
We are not doing these things consistently or at all in some cases. Screen and roll at the top, low post entry, and a lot of one on one moves off the dribble. Our D is solid! Always can improve, but the coaches will figure this out on O. They have lot's of film. We have the pieces, just need to play together as a unit, in a similar way as we are all tied together as a unit on D. :)

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:53 am

WalkOn79 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:17 pm
All I know is the EWU coach is a punk-ass B---- and so is half of his team!!

Perfect reflection of that S--- university, especially the coach and #10!!! :rant: :rant:
I tend to agree. I hate to even think this, but after watching EWU yesterday, I think I would root for the griz if they end up in the Big Sky championship game.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:01 am

Mcat wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:13 am
We are not doing these things consistently or at all in some cases. Screen and roll at the top, low post entry, and a lot of one on one moves off the dribble. Our D is solid! Always can improve, but the coaches will figure this out on O. They have lot's of film. We have the pieces, just need to play together as a unit, in a similar way as we are all tied together as a unit on D. :)
Thanks for getting this thread back to reality. It was beginning to sound like the football threads after UND game. We will have growing pains this year with all the new people and our lack of experience. Danny is a great addition as coach but he is learning and he is being outcoached due to his lack of experience.

This is a great time for the team to work hard and continue to improve. Finn and Guilliford played some high quality minutes last night and should be rewarded. Until Ladan can contribute offensively, others should be given the opportunity to contribute. Our opponents third best defender can shut Ladan down and we need an option to take better advantage of that.

By the time the tournament rolls around, I expect to see several exciting games from this team.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:02 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:01 am
Mcat wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:13 am
Thanks for getting this thread back to reality. It was beginning to sound like the football threads after UND game. We will have growing pains this year with all the new people and our lack of experience. Danny is a great addition as coach but he is learning and he is being outcoached due to his lack of experience.

This is a great time for the team to work hard and continue to improve. Finn and Guilliford played some high quality minutes last night and should be rewarded. Until Ladan can contribute offensively, others should be given the opportunity to contribute. Our opponents third best defender can shut Ladan down and we need an option to take better advantage of that.

By the time the tournament rolls around, I expect to see several exciting games from this team.
Agreed. Not time to panick yet. Still think this is a competitive team in the BSC.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz