Kirby and Squires

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Kirby and Squires

Post by aucat » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:17 am

I guess the only way I'm going to find out about the situation with these two critical players is to go to Bridger Brewing Tuesday at noon and ask the coaches myself. We REALLY miss Kirby. He looks fine over on the bench and walks around with no limp. DOes anyone know his situation?

As for Squires, granted, Darian White got back on her game at PSU, but Oly is a key player with her all around skiils regarding shooting (especially 3 pont), penetrating and ball handling. ANone heard about her recovery?

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Kirby and Squires

Post by rivercat » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:44 am

Per the Bozeman Chronicle:

Binford said Squires will return “pretty quickly” from her ankle injury suffered two days prior.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:28 pm

I have no idea when they'll return. Hope it is soon. I would guess Squires is out at least for the next two against EWU and Weber.
Given Kirby's history with knee injuries I would guess the doctors are using an abundance of caution when deciding when to clear him to play.
It's impossible to know, but I believe the men's team would have beaten Bakersfield, SUU, and PSU with a healthy Kirby. I believe he would have turned a possession or two in our favor and that's all that it would have taken to get those wins. And I also believe the women get the Idaho win if Squires doesn't go down. Of course other teams have injuries too, that's just how it goes.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:28 pm

Having Kirby is huge solely for the fact that Belo can be more aggressive, he's had to lay low with Kirby out.

Having our tallest, and probably best rebounder out definitely hurts a team like MSU, especially since we don't have a bevy of offensive weapons so we need every rebound and defensive stop we can get.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

aucat

Post by aucat » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:48 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:28 pm
I have no idea when they'll return. Hope it is soon. I would guess Squires is out at least for the next two against EWU and Weber.
Given Kirby's history with knee injuries I would guess the doctors are using an abundance of caution when deciding when to clear him to play.
It's impossible to know, but I believe the men's team would have beaten Bakersfield, SUU, and PSU with a healthy Kirby. I believe he would have turned a possession or two in our favor and that's all that it would have taken to get those wins. And I also believe the women get the Idaho win if Squires doesn't go down. Of course other teams have injuries too, that's just how it goes.
I absolutely agree with you regarding all of those games.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:00 pm

aucat wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:17 am
I guess the only way I'm going to find out about the situation with these two critical players is to go to Bridger Brewing Tuesday at noon and ask the coaches myself. We REALLY miss Kirby. He looks fine over on the bench and walks around with no limp. DOes anyone know his situation?

As for Squires, granted, Darian White got back on her game at PSU, but Oly is a key player with her all around skiils regarding shooting (especially 3 pont), penetrating and ball handling. ANone heard about her recovery?
Actually best way is to go to Coaches Corner at 10:30 am on Tuesday or catch the Coach at 6th man club. More informal and media not present. I know the coaches often don’t like to talk about injury status.

I spoke with Kirby earlier in January. Don’t think I am speaking out of line here.....He told me they were giving him two weeks at that time. He was still seeing some minor swelling but all was good. And I noticed as others mentioned that he is walking better now so hope he is back in next week or so. That’s all I know.