NDSU-JMU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Re: NDSU-JMU

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:02 pm

I was able to watch much of the first half and from that half it was clear that a good nose tackle (ala Minter) is what we need to make our game with NDSU competitive. Controlling the centre of the field with our DE coverage is the key to Lance. Contain and push up. I know it's easier said than done, but Illinois State and JMU at times did make the case.

Where's our plug? Who's our D Line centre plug and push guy next year? Get that, and release a healthy Troy A and our solid Buck End and we can play with these guys.

2011BisonAlumni
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2011BisonAlumni » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:38 pm

1984champ wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:24 am
Anyone know the reasoning behind The Buffalos not wanting to move to the FBS? Does Trey Lance field FBS offers with the new transfer rules? He has 3 years to play and is and is way too talented for the FCS. Without Lance I think they would have lost games this season. He is significantly better than Jensen Wentz and Stick. Maybe with the Gophers getting better they lose some recruits but this is getting a little ridiculous.
Montana State University is a land-grant university (just like NDSU), located in an awesome town, with a higher enrollment than NDSU, great state-wide support and tremendous facilities.

The other FCS fanbases really need to quit bitching about NDSU needing to move up to the FBS. They need to up their game......what is holding the Bobcats back from doing the same thing NDSU does?

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:52 pm

2011BisonAlumni wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:38 pm
1984champ wrote:
Anyone know the reasoning behind The Buffalos not wanting to move to the FBS? Does Trey Lance field FBS offers with the new transfer rules? He has 3 years to play and is and is way too talented for the FCS. Without Lance I think they would have lost games this season. He is significantly better than Jensen Wentz and Stick. Maybe with the Gophers getting better they lose some recruits but this is getting a little ridiculous.
Montana State University is a land-grant university (just like NDSU), located in an awesome town, with a higher enrollment than NDSU, great state-wide support and tremendous facilities.

The other FCS fanbases really need to quit bitching about NDSU needing to move up to the FBS. They need to up their game......what is holding the Bobcats back from doing the same thing NDSU does?
The Griz are holding us back...... \:D/

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

2011BisonAlumni
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2011BisonAlumni » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:03 pm

Rich K wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:52 pm
2011BisonAlumni wrote:
1984champ wrote:

The Griz are holding us back...... \:D/
Leave the Big Sky. Petition the MVFC and Summit League to join.

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:07 pm

2011BisonAlumni wrote:
1984champ wrote:

Agree, I would rather be the team that finally knocks them off or see them get knocked off, rather than see them just up and leave for the FBS and have someone claim the thrown that way. As frustrating as it is, all dynasties come to an end, even though they’re still primed for another 2-3 years I think, teams are climbing closer and closer.

2011BisonAlumni
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2011BisonAlumni » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:14 pm

jgrilley406 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:07 pm
2011BisonAlumni wrote:
1984champ wrote:

Agree, I would rather be the team that finally knocks them off or see them get knocked off, rather than see them just up and leave for the FBS and have someone claim the thrown that way. As frustrating as it is, all dynasties come to an end, even though they’re still primed for another 2-3 years I think, teams are climbing closer and closer.
Yes, all dynasty's come to an end, but baring an institutional scandal or bad coaching hire in the future, I just don't see them dropping off from being a power team year in and year out. Too many advantages from facilities to tradition.

IMO, what will end the dynasty is when the compounding effects of Bohl, now Klieman and later Entz (in theory) all are head coaches on FBS teams recruiting in NDSU's territory AND the next QB is not as good as Jensen, Wentz, Stick and Lance have been.

The quarterback play has been ridiculous for NDSU and is an overlooked factor for their dominance. In 2006-2007, they had ridiculously good teams (ranked #1 in the FCS for awhile), but were not playoff eligible. They had an excellent QB in Steve Walker, who when he graduated, was largely discussed as a top 3 Bison QB of all time. 2008, they brought back a stacked team, ranked pre-season #2 and were #1 after two weeks into the year. They finished 6-5. 2009, they had their worst team in 50 years, finishing 3-9. They still had great running backs, offensive and defensive line, etc, but the common factor was a QB in Nick Mertens who was not very good.

2010 they finished the season 9-5, but most of those losses came with Jose Mohler, another sub-par QB, leading the charge for the Bison.

Trade QB's in this year's playoff game, and I think the outcome is quite a bit different.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:31 pm

2011BisonAlumni wrote:
1984champ wrote:

Money

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:55 pm

2011BisonAlumni wrote:
1984champ wrote:

MSU is trying to make improvements across the board. Nobody is bitching here just pointing out the obvious. What’s the reason not to move up?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:02 pm

2011BisonAlumni wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Yes, all dynasty's come to an end, but baring an institutional scandal or bad coaching hire in the future, I just don't see them dropping off from being a power team year in and year out. Too many advantages from facilities to tradition.
We heard this exact same thing from Griz fans forever...

I guess the biggest thing is the definition of "power team". If your definition is winning 8 championships every 10 years I'd disagree with you. The run they're on is remarkable, but maintaining that level of success going forward has never happened in sports. I wouldn't bet money on that kind of success.

However, NDSU should be a regular "power" team in the FCS going forward. There is no reason to think they should not routinely be a top 5-10 team vying for championships year in and year out. The players that they are able to land due to their success should ensure this. I have no reason to think that they shouldn't always at least be in the talk of teams trying to win championships.

I will concede that as long as Lance is there they'll be the favorite to win the whole thing.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:09 pm

1984champ wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:55 pm
2011BisonAlumni wrote:
1984champ wrote:

MSU is trying to make improvements across the board. Nobody is bitching here just pointing out the obvious. What’s the reason not to move up?
Kind of surprising actually. Every other team at our level that has success starts clamoring to move up. Hell, the Griz won once and finished 2nd a few times and most of their fanbase was saying they needed to move up to face better competition. Many of them are STILL complaining about not moving up! App State rolled for a few years and moved up. No one has seen near the success that NDSU has seen, and from at least what I have heard, it seems like many of their fanbase isn't interested in moving up. I'd think it'd be the opposite.

2011BisonAlumni
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2011BisonAlumni » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:57 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:02 pm
2011BisonAlumni wrote:

I guess the biggest thing is the definition of "power team". If your definition is winning 8 championships every 10 years I'd disagree with you. The run they're on is remarkable, but maintaining that level of success going forward has never happened in sports. I wouldn't bet money on that kind of success.

However, NDSU should be a regular "power" team in the FCS going forward. There is no reason to think they should not routinely be a top 5-10 team vying for championships year in and year out. The players that they are able to land due to their success should ensure this. I have no reason to think that they shouldn't always at least be in the talk of teams trying to win championships.

I will concede that as long as Lance is there they'll be the favorite to win the whole thing.
Yep...and why did it end for the Griz? Institutional scandal and bad coaching hires.

2011BisonAlumni
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2011BisonAlumni » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:03 pm

1984champ wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:55 pm
2011BisonAlumni wrote:
1984champ wrote:

Money is not there.
Conference invite is not there.
Facilities are not there. If the Fargodome was a 30k seat facility, with awesome premium club seating, I think I would be in. I think the stadium is too small.

If they had a T-Boone Pickens type donation for a new 50k seat indoor stadium and an endowment directly directly at FBS funding, then I am in. At that point, I think they would become an attractive choice for an FBS conference, preferably the Big 12.....but this is never going to happen.

They are were they belong and a great deal of FBS teams also belong at the FCS level.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:27 pm

2011BisonAlumni wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:57 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:02 pm
2011BisonAlumni wrote:

Yep...and why did it end for the Griz? Institutional scandal and bad coaching hires.
Well not exactly. They weren't exactly vying for championships and then all of a sudden got caught selling hotdogs and suddenly weren't vying for championships. That's not really how it worked. In fact, they had who I thought was a very good coach at that time and he got pushed out unfairly in my opinion.

I guess it's really easy to just point to coaching when a dominant program falls off a little bit. In some cases it's obvious but in others not so much.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:43 pm

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:27 am
Mentioned this on another thread...what do we have to do to beat these guys? As fans...keep supporting the team by contributing to facilities upgrades....Also I'm thinking we get a home and home with the Bison would help...see what we can do with a game in Bobcat Stadium.

Coach Choate - Keep amping up recruiting.....anything else?
I think it's all about getting a #1 or #2 seed. Unfortunately, that looks like it might be almost impossible for the next few years. We'll probably start the season in the top 5 which will be nice, but we'd probably have to go undefeated the entire season AND see NDSU or JMU lose a couple games they shouldn't. Tall order. I'd put money down that NDSU wins at least eight of the next ten national championships unfortuately. I honestly don't think it's good for the FCS.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:50 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:31 pm
2011BisonAlumni wrote:
1984champ wrote:

Money
Correct. And I don't know if this is what you were referring to, but if the Bobcats were allowed to pay the players as much money as NDSU and JMU can... that would certainly help.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:49 pm

catatac wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:50 pm
Montanabob wrote:
2011BisonAlumni wrote:
1984champ wrote:

Money
Correct. And I don't know if this is what you were referring to, but if the Bobcats were allowed to pay the players as much money as NDSU and JMU can... that would certainly help.
Point of order! We are allowed to provide FCOA. We as a state, one would assume, choose to not provide this to our kids.

Hell, as soon as as I hit the submit button I know there will be several frequent posters start bitching about how their scholarships ought to suffice. Then they'll talk about how tough they had it going through school...

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:31 pm

2011BisonAlumni wrote:
1984champ wrote:

There have been a lot of thoughtful comments in multiple threads about what is holding us back. Here is an enumeration of what I have gleaned the last few weeks. Two of them we are stuck with. Three of them are ultimately solveable.

We are pretty well stuck with:

1. Recruiting competition in our region. It was clearly pointed out that NDSU’s primary recruiting area has fewer D-I schools vying for players than our nearby pond.
2. Legacy of eight National FCS Championships. Well, we have one.

Things that can ultimately be solved:

1. Indoor practice facility. The snow, cold, smoke, rain, lightning — always something going on. $$$
2. FCOA. Certainly would not hurt. $$
3. Quarterback recruitment and development. Recruit QBs whose style matches our offense (figure that out first) and coach ‘em up. Hope we can uncover some more gems. This is not impossible — think Lulay, McGhee, and Prukop.

Have to have a list and keep chipping away at it. We are in a good place.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:34 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:31 pm
2011BisonAlumni wrote:
1984champ wrote:

There have been a lot of thoughtful comments in multiple threads about what is holding us back. Here is an enumeration of what I have gleaned the last few weeks. Two of them we are stuck with. Three of them are ultimately solveable.

1. Recruiting competition in our region. It was clearly pointed out that NDSU’s primary recruiting area has fewer D-I schools vying for players than our nearby pond.

1. Indoor practice facility. The snow, cold, smoke, rain, lightning — always something going on. $$$
3. Quarterback recruitment and development. Recruit QBs whose style matches our offense (figure that out first) and coach ‘em up. Hope we can uncover some more gems. This is not impossible — think Lulay, McGhee, and Prukop.

Just thinking about #3: MSU recruits/develops QBs from “other” places. Texas, Washington, CA...NDSU appears to develop good, not great, talent from close to home. ND, MN, WI, and NE. None of NDSUs phenomenal QBs were highly recruited out of high school...some interest from G5 schools, but it’s not like they turned down P5 teams.

To hit with 4 QBs like that says it’s not luck...

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:09 am

onceacat wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:34 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:31 pm
2011BisonAlumni wrote:
1984champ wrote:

Just thinking about #3: MSU recruits/develops QBs from “other” places. Texas, Washington, CA...NDSU appears to develop good, not great, talent from close to home. ND, MN, WI, and NE. None of NDSUs phenomenal QBs were highly recruited out of high school...some interest from G5 schools, but it’s not like they turned down P5 teams.

To hit with 4 QBs like that says it’s not luck...
Trey Lance turned down Boise State for Ndsu. But you're right about the others.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:14 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:49 pm
catatac wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:50 pm
Montanabob wrote:
2011BisonAlumni wrote:
1984champ wrote:

Money
Point of order! We are allowed to provide FCOA. We as a state, one would assume, choose to not provide this to our kids.

Hell, as soon as as I hit the submit button I know there will be several frequent posters start bitching about how their scholarships ought to suffice. Then they'll talk about how tough they had it going through school...
1. There hasn't been a single poster here who has stated they are against playing FCOA. You made a preemptive strike on nobody.

2. Athletic scholarship money doesn't come from "the state". It comes from the Bobcat Club which is funded completely by private donations. If we want to pay FCOA, we need fans and alumni to step up and donate more $$$ to the Bobcat Club.