Somewhat Bobcat-Related: Mike Leach to Mississippi State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Somewhat Bobcat-Related

Post by AFCAT » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:18 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:55 pm
Bobby Petrino is available.
Yup, I heard he could jump on his motorcycle and after a short stop for some volleyball practice, he could be there in no time.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:23 pm

Leach has a house in Key West. SEC and closer to his fishing house.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:19 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:18 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Yup, I heard he could jump on his motorcycle and after a short stop for some volleyball practice, he could be there in no time.
...and they could stay at Paul's place...

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:48 pm

Here are a couple of interesting reads on possible replacements. I don’t see too many of these having direct connections to our current MSU staff.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wsu ... ch-at-wsu/

https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... mike-leach

Homer9923
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Homer9923 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:41 am

Any players enter the transfer portal because of his departure that would be a good fit in Bozeman?

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:13 am

Homer9923 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:41 am
Any players enter the transfer portal because of his departure that would be a good fit in Bozeman?
It's an awkward time to enter the portal right now because the semester starts on Monday, so that's tough timing on everybody. There might be quite a few guys looking to move in the next couple days, but if they don't get it done really fast, it's going to be too late. And I'm not sure anybody would leave yet because a new coach hasn't been named yet. If I'm a player I'd hold on, but I'd be nervous.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:23 am

This notion that a BSC head coach will never be a Pac 12 head coach because of Wulff is bizarre and it's bizarre that people believe this and hang their hat on it.

I guess the griz should never recruit any receivers from Billings West since Jesse Owens just torched them. The Cats should never recruit another QB from Washington because of Grady Robison. MSU should probably never hire an assistant again from Great Falls because that's where Joe O'Brien is from.

This is exactly how it works, right? :roll: :roll:

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:30 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:19 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:18 pm
91catAlum wrote:
...and they could stay at Paul's place...
Petrinos on the Palouse! I like it.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:48 am

Cledus wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:23 am
This notion that a BSC head coach will never be a Pac 12 head coach because of Wulff is bizarre and it's bizarre that people believe this and hang their hat on it.

I guess the griz should never recruit any receivers from Billings West since Jesse Owens just torched them. The Cats should never recruit another QB from Washington because of Grady Robison. MSU should probably never hire an assistant again from Great Falls because that's where Joe O'Brien is from.

No, that’s not only not exactly how it works, it’s not even reasonably close to how it works. Who’s the last coach to move up a division and excel? How often does that happen? It’s very rare. Jim Tressel did it. Don Read did it. Even coaches from the greatest program in FCS/IAA history haven’t excelled. Big Sky coaches have failed miserably. Glenn, Hauck, Wulff, Dennehy. Baldwin couldn’t make it as an assistant.

A new head coach is under a microscope more so than a new recruit. So your comparison isn’t much of one.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:53 am

Cledus wrote:

Those aren't even close to the situation of a major P5 program hiring an FCS coach. Maybe it is a bit silly to think they'll avoid ONLY the Big Sky Conference, but they took a chance on a FCS coach and it didn't work out, so they are less likely to take a similar risk in the future.

iaafan spell it out nicely, FCS coaches don't jump into P5 head coaching jobs often, and those that do don't have the best track record.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:01 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:58 pm
He’s not going with Leach. Leach is a scandal waiting to happen. Wears out his welcome everywhere he goes. Choate only coached with him for a year. Mississippi State is a dead end.
A scandal waiting to happen? What?!

Leach is a treasure. A freaking treasure.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:18 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:01 pm
iaafan wrote:
He’s not going with Leach. Leach is a scandal waiting to happen. Wears out his welcome everywhere he goes. Choate only coached with him for a year. Mississippi State is a dead end.

Yeah, we all get a kick out of his comments and press conferences. He’s a lot of fun. I hope he doesn’t screw up, but I fear the worst.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:22 pm

Cledus wrote:

Joe O'Brien isn't from Great Falls FYI.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:23 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Leach is an overrated coach, and would have suffered the same fate as Bob Stitt if he stayed around for another year. All about himself, brilliant offensive mind, couldn't beat his rival. Leach got out while the getting was good.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:14 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:23 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Leach is an overrated coach, and would have suffered the same fate as Bob Stitt if he stayed around for another year. All about himself, brilliant offensive mind, couldn't beat his rival. Leach got out while the getting was good.
I guess he's overrated if you think he's a top tier coach, but he's a damn good coach.

He improved every single place he went to (significantly), and nobody that has followed him has done as well as he has. Washington State was a freaking joke before he got there, and he ended up with a winning record while there. In fact, he has the best winning record at WSU since the 50's, and that includes Dennis Erickson (another very good coach).

He won at Texas Tech, which is a craphole considering the other places in Texas. He was followed by Tommy Tubberville (longtime SEC coach) and Kingsbury (current NFL HC) and neither one of them did as well as Leach did there.

Unfortunately for him, his main rivals at those schools were Washington and Texas. A lot more history of being good at those schools. They really ain't much of a rivalry.

Now I don't really think Leach is a coach who wins championships, but he's a damn good coach, who has improved every program he's been at. Overrated? I don't think so. Anybody who can get 11 wins in Pullman, WA is doing something right. Comparing him to Bob Stitt is an insult.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:18 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:53 am
Cledus wrote:

Those aren't even close to the situation of a major P5 program hiring an FCS coach. Maybe it is a bit silly to think they'll avoid ONLY the Big Sky Conference, but they took a chance on a FCS coach and it didn't work out, so they are less likely to take a similar risk in the future.

iaafan spell it out nicely, FCS coaches don't jump into P5 head coaching jobs often, and those that do don't have the best track record.
And I imagine fanbase and more importantly booster perception wouldn't like it at all. Don't forget, the vast majority of fans of FBS P5 teams view FCS football as we view D2 or D3 football. We're an afterthought. I highly doubt the next Wazzu head coach will be a current FCS head coach. I feel it will be a coordinator from a P5 FBS school, a HC at a G5 FBS school, a retread former FBS HC, or possibly an NFL assistant.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:43 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:14 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:23 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

I guess he's overrated if you think he's a top tier coach, but he's a damn good coach.

He improved every single place he went to (significantly), and nobody that has followed him has done as well as he has. Washington State was a freaking joke before he got there, and he ended up with a winning record while there. In fact, he has the best winning record at WSU since the 50's, and that includes Dennis Erickson (another very good coach).

He won at Texas Tech, which is a craphole considering the other places in Texas. He was followed by Tommy Tubberville (longtime SEC coach) and Kingsbury (current NFL HC) and neither one of them did as well as Leach did there.

Unfortunately for him, his main rivals at those schools were Washington and Texas. A lot more history of being good at those schools. They really ain't much of a rivalry.

Now I don't really think Leach is a coach who wins championships, but he's a damn good coach, who has improved every program he's been at. Overrated? I don't think so. Anybody who can get 11 wins in Pullman, WA is doing something right. Comparing him to Bob Stitt is an insult.
Well said! Leach might not be Nick Saban but he's still a very good coach. He's led winning teams pretty much everywhere he's been.
Look for Wazzu to sink back into a hole now that he's gone.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:49 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:18 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:53 am
Cledus wrote:

And I imagine fanbase and more importantly booster perception wouldn't like it at all. Don't forget, the vast majority of fans of FBS P5 teams view FCS football as we view D2 or D3 football. We're an afterthought. I highly doubt the next Wazzu head coach will be a current FCS head coach. I feel it will be a coordinator from a P5 FBS school, a HC at a G5 FBS school, a retread former FBS HC, or possibly an NFL assistant.
The MSU fanbase didn't seem to like the Cruzado hire. Maybe the regents should have caved in to the mob and gotten someone with better ag street cred. Sure, she's doing a great job but think how much better it could be!

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:22 pm

Adam Jude is a sports’ journalist for the Seattle Times.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:44 pm

Hmmmmm.... well, I guess we will probably know the answer soon. (Either way)

FTG- GO CATS GO!