Southern Utah VS MSU WBB

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Southern Utah VS MSU WBB

Post by Ilikecats » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:56 pm

These ladies are good! I like the balance play!

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Southern Utah VS MSU WBB

Post by arvcat2 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:23 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:56 pm
These ladies are good! I like the balance play!
Yes & yes! Great game of 100% shooting by Kuderer!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:05 pm

4-0 on this tough 4 games in 7 days stretch...and three of those wins were blowouts. Scary thing is, I think this team can play even better. They give up a few too many offensive rebounds, and they miss a few too many contested layups. This team is very, very deep. Nobody plays too many minutes. Nobody looks tired.
Fans need to come out and watch them. It's a special group.
Squires and Freije joined the 1000 points club today as well. Congrats to both of them. I wish Freije's were mostly Bobcat points instead of UND, but I'm glad we got her for this season.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:38 pm

Pretty incredible home stand.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:59 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:05 pm
4-0 on this tough 4 games in 7 days stretch...and three of those wins were blowouts. Scary thing is, I think this team can play even better. They give up a few too many offensive rebounds, and they miss a few too many contested layups. This team is very, very deep. Nobody plays too many minutes. Nobody looks tired.
Squires and Freije joined the 1000 points club today as well. Congrats to both of them. I wish Freije's were mostly Bobcat points instead of UND, but I'm glad we got her for this season.
Has to be a pretty rare event for two players to hit 1000 career points in the same game. The ladies are rolling and are the only undefeated team left in conference play. Too bad they can't loan a little of their offensive prowess to the men's team!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:59 pm

That was a really solid team win against a decent 7-4 team. Their previous losses had all been by single digits except for Oregon State. The ‘Cats are playing fast and I enjoy the ball movement. Playing that tougher schedule that the coaches put together is really paying dividends now. And I agree that there is room for improvement. The three true freshmen: Darien White came ready to play, Madison Jackson could be dangerous (her steals and rebounds per minute are way up there), and Kola Bad Bear has really nice skills that enable her to play a big 4. What a fun team to watch.
BelgradeBobcat wrote:I wish Freije's were mostly Bobcat points instead of UND, but I'm glad we got her for this season.
It seems like about half those points were scored in the Brick anyway! She was just a Bobcat killer.

Congratulations to Oliana and Fallyn!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:44 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:59 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:I wish Freije's were mostly Bobcat points instead of UND, but I'm glad we got her for this season.
It seems like about half those points were scored in the Brick anyway! She was just a Bobcat killer.

Congratulations to Oliana and Fallyn!
Very well put! =D^ =D^ =D^ :lol:

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:09 am

Really a very fun team to watch. I think Darian White alone is worth the cost of admission-she is the most talented point guard I have seen at MSU and we have had some pretty good ones. But you add Oli, Fallyn, etc. and it is really a great group.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:18 pm

This play really got the crowd loud. There was one second on the shot clock-off an inbound on the baseline.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:44 pm

Athleticism! If there’s anything Trish has improved across the board, that’s it. Great air, Madi!

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:38 pm

The MSU bench just might be the second best team in the Big Sky. Go Cats Go!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:16 pm

aucat wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:38 pm
The MSU bench just might be the second best team in the Big Sky. Go Cats Go!
I was thinking about that at the end of the last two games. When you have Tori Martell and Blaire Braxton to build around, and then Kola Bad Bear, Madi Jackson, and Sidney Zieske (looks good in limited time) and Gabby Mocchi I think any coach would take that group. Just to realize your bench could possibly compete in or win a Big Sky game at any level is something very few teams have — and it is a new experience here, at least for many years. I’m enjoying it. Usually the goal in a game is to get a few starters tired or in foul trouble and on the pine, but when you look at that group of players that can sub in you’ve not really done yourself any favors.

Their style of play in Big Sky games is reminding me of the football team. Try to start fast, stay in the game until halftime, and then drag them into deep water into the third and through the fourth. We have a lot of fresher legs. If the team will continue their very unselfish style of play, move the ball and share the minutes, they are going to win a lot of conference games this year.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:55 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:59 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Has to be a pretty rare event for two players to hit 1000 career points in the same game. The ladies are rolling and are the only undefeated team left in conference play. Too bad they can't loan a little of their offensive prowess to the men's team!
This, although the men will win a lot of games as well because they play defense and play with energy.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:11 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:09 am
Really a very fun team to watch. I think Darian White alone is worth the cost of admission-she is the most talented point guard I have seen at MSU and we have had some pretty good ones. But you add Oli, Fallyn, etc. and it is really a great group.
The best since Lindsey Stockton at least.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:02 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:11 pm
HelenaCat wrote:
The best since Lindsey Stockton.....in what respect? I liked Lindsey but at least on the offensive side of the ball Hannah Caudill was one of the best point guards in history at MSU. I have to keep defending her because she is probably the most under appreciated player I have seen since coming back and being able to watch the team. Boring you with stats again.

Caudill ranks #1 in career assists (Stockton #8). Caudill had 2 of the top 10 seasons for assists ranking #2 and #4 (Stockton had no single season top 10 seasons).

Caudill is the #2 all time 3-pt percentage shooter at 38.6%. She had the 6th best single season 3-pt percentage at 41.1%. She is #3 all time in 3-pt shots made at 231. She is #1 in 3-pt shots made in a season at 81. (Stockton not in top 10.)

Caudill ranks #19 all time in scoring and Stockton is not in top 25.

Caudill was selected 3rd team all Big Sky and was the team MVP in 2017-18. Stockton was not selected.

Neither Caudill or Stockton was in the top 10 in steals. I think Stockton was somewhat a better defender. Neither Caudill or Stockton is in the same league with Darian White in terms of her speed, all-out hustle and relentless full court defense.

White is a little bit in Oli’s shadow right now on the offensive side of the ball.....but given time and continued development she will be one of the all time greats at MSU. And I agree with HelenaCat that she is worth the price of admission! If you have a young lady playing guard in high school you would want to have her watch Darian play. Mslcat predicted Darian would start at guard this season and I was skeptical because that is a difficult position to start as a true freshman....but she has far exceeded my expectations in terms of poise, leadership, and acceptance by a senior led team.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:23 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Love the comment on being deep. Late in Q4 on the recent blowout games when you are typically throwing in the folks for mop up and mercy, we are on the court with Martell, Jackson, Mochi or Zieske, Bad Bear, Braxton...or some variations on the above and we are still pulling away. Several of that line up would be starting elsewhere. Just fun to see that depth. In a separate thread mslcat talked about next years recruiting class....I heard Coach Binford say that she thinks 4 of them can compete for starting spots...my gosh won’t the next few years be fun.

Although some on the board have expressed a desire to reduce playing time for some players and increase time for top 6 players, my problem as a coach with a team this deep is how do I get some of this talent enough playing time to stick with me for several more years....and continue to develop my talented depth players in “real world” tight game situations. Fun problem to have.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:57 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:02 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:
The best since Lindsey Stockton.....in what respect? I liked Lindsey but at least on the offensive side of the ball Hannah Caudill was one of the best point guards in history at MSU. I have to keep defending her because she is probably the most under appreciated player I have seen since coming back and being able to watch the team. Boring you with stats again.

Caudill ranks #1 in career assists (Stockton #8). Caudill had 2 of the top 10 seasons for assists ranking #2 and #4 (Stockton had no single season top 10 seasons).

Caudill is the #2 all time 3-pt percentage shooter at 38.6%. She had the 6th best single season 3-pt percentage at 41.1%. She is #3 all time in 3-pt shots made at 231. She is #1 in 3-pt shots made in a season at 81. (Stockton not in top 10.)

Caudill was selected 3rd team all Big Sky and was the team MVP in 2017-18. Stockton was not selected.

Neither Caudill or Stockton was in the top 10 in steals. I think Stockton was somewhat a better defender. Neither Caudill or Stockton is in the same league with Darian White in terms of her speed, all-out hustle and relentless full court defense.

White is a little bit in Oli’s shadow right now on the offensive side of the ball.....but given time and continued development she will be one of the all time greats at MSU. And I agree with HelenaCat that she is worth the price of admission! If you have a young lady playing guard in high school you would want to have her watch Darian play. Mslcat predicted Darian would start at guard this season and I was skeptical because that is a difficult position to start as a true freshman....but she has far exceeded my expectations in terms of poise, leadership, and acceptance by a senior led team.
When I think of MSU point guards, Caudill set the standard, then probably Rebecca Alvidrez from back a ways. White went up against Rebecca Cardenas of SUU on Saturday. Cardenas is a senior, seems like she's been there forever, and is a very good player. White more than held her own and even excelled. She has a chance to be an all-timer. Not just for MSU but in the Big Sky. I was a bit worried about the point guard spot before the season-now it's a strength.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:25 am

BobcatDel wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:

Thank you for the support for Hannah. Each year she would be in the top three for the point guard and shooting guard stats — and for some reason the Conference kept snubbing her, even the year we won the conference and the tournament. We’ve really missed her the last two years. Darian is now taking up that slack. They are very different players, but both very effective. And unselfish. Darian is going to show up in those record books some day.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:28 am

BobcatDel wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:

This. Darian is just a true freshman. By the time she is a senior, she will be an all-time great Bobcat.