MBB vs NAU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: MBB vs NAU

Post by Catfanatic84 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:39 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:08 am
What a night for BSC hoops.
MSU won by 2
UM won by 2
Weber won by 1
S. Utah won by 2
ISU blew out EWU by 6
That's crazy....there's a lot of parity in this league which makes it fun to watch. Winning on the road is extremely difficult, even when you're playing the bottom dwellers.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:45 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:10 pm
KittieKop wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:45 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:44 pm
Tight game. Not sure who the announcers are, the older guy has some great commentary. The younger play by play guy orgasms every time NAU scores. I assume he’s part of the nau staff?
Older guy is Joe Cravens, former coach.
Younger guy is Shaun Rainey, past and current griz homer.
Haha. That makes total sense.

By the way, I want to party with Joe Cravens.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:35 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:37 pm
Nice to win when you don't have your best. Belo is awesome, that guy goes and GETS the ball on a rebound. Get DK back to soak up some minutes, we'll be in good shape. League looks wide open.
Those were my thoughts as well leaving the Brick last night. Played pretty poorly and still eeked out a win. The crowd was probably one of the biggest non-CAT/Griz crowds I've seen going on my 5th year back in Bozeman. Really nice to see and I hope the kids come out when school is back in session!

Three buses from Three Forks and Absorakee also added to the crowd and excitement.
Last edited by WalkOn79 on Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:48 am

I should also add that I am very impressed by what MSU is doing right now at games and on social media. Loved the "high-five tunnel" with kids at the start of the game. If they'd done that when I was a kid at those games I'd have been over the moon. I think at least some of what we're seeing with increased attendance can be attributed to how supportive the coaches and athletic staff are of each other on social media. You've got Choate and Jones tweeting about basketball, Sprinkle and Binford tweeting about football and volleyball and it all seems authentic and not something they've been instructed to do. That kind of stuff will help turn MSU football fans into fans of other sports as well.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:56 am

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:48 am
I should also add that I am very impressed by what MSU is doing right now at games and on social media. Loved the "high-five tunnel" with kids at the start of the game. If they'd done that when I was a kid at those games I'd have been over the moon. I think at least some of what we're seeing with increased attendance can be attributed to how supportive the coaches and athletic staff are of each other on social media. You've got Choate and Jones tweeting about basketball, Sprinkle and Binford tweeting about football and volleyball and it all seems authentic and not something they've been instructed to do. That kind of stuff will help turn MSU football fans into fans of other sports as well.
Yeah the game-day atmoshere is getting better and better. The new big screen was a GREAT addition!!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:03 am

Looks like about 6500 for the two games. A very good crowd IMHO.....

GOOOOOO BOBCATS

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:40 am

First game in the Fieldhouse since the 1996 title game against Weber. Solid crowd for a Monday night on winter break. The arena is so much nicer now. A great time and a solid win!

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:18 pm

We did what we needed to do to win. Let a nice lead slip away. Rebounding hurt us in some key parts of the game. Free throws, solid defense down the stretch, and shooters shoot mentality got the win. I love the energy this young staff brings. Danny, Dan, and Shawn are really good basketball brains!

Regimen
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Regimen » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:00 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:56 am
MSU01 wrote:
Yeah the game-day atmosphere is getting better and better. The new big screen was a GREAT addition!!
My family and I attended our first Bobcat Basketball on Saturday vs. Sac Sate. Here are my pro’s vs. con’s list:

Pro’s
Kid’s Pre-Game High-Fives: My daughter was super excited to be able and give the basketball players high-fives prior to tip-off. That is an experience she or I will never forget. Really cool!

Great Atmosphere: I believe there was around 3,400 people in attendance. The crowd got into when they needed. Not bad, for not having any students around for break.

Danny Sprinkle: The guy is a class act and knows how to motivate his players. I think he is a great hire and complements Bobcat football. Time will tell, but they are off to a good start.

Kids Activities: My daughter enjoyed coloring at half time as well as jumping in the bounce houses.

Con’s

Food Scene: Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind the occasional concession stand hot dog, but a soggy beer brat just doesn’t cut it anymore. It would be advantageous for MSU to up the food scene with maybe gourmet hot dog cart or personal pizzas to order. Is there the possibility to have a rotation of different food trucks? I just think this would add to the game day experience.

Adult Social: I am not sure if MSU has discussed selling alcohol at sporting events. I am not a fan of seeing a bunch of wasted folks either. However, if there was a designated area to have quality beer or a glass of wine and watch the game that would be kind of neat. It is not a deal killer, but something to consider. Again, I don’t want to take away from the family atmosphere, but football has tailgating.

Overall, it was a great family friendly and fun experience. Seeing the sports programs continue to grow and thrive is great. I am going to hit a few more games this season and get behind the basketball program. The $5 general admission tickets are a steal and a great way for a family to attend a game.

Happy New Year! Go Cats!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:52 pm

Regimen wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:00 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Yeah the game-day atmosphere is getting better and better. The new big screen was a GREAT addition!!
My family and I attended our first Bobcat Basketball on Saturday vs. Sac Sate. Here are my pro’s vs. con’s list:

Pro’s
Kid’s Pre-Game High-Fives: My daughter was super excited to be able and give the basketball players high-fives prior to tip-off. That is an experience she or I will never forget. Really cool!

Great Atmosphere: I believe there was around 3,400 people in attendance. The crowd got into when they needed. Not bad, for not having any students around for break.

Danny Sprinkle: The guy is a class act and knows how to motivate his players. I think he is a great hire and complements Bobcat football. Time will tell, but they are off to a good start.

Kids Activities: My daughter enjoyed coloring at half time as well as jumping in the bounce houses.

Con’s

Food Scene: Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind the occasional concession stand hot dog, but a soggy beer brat just doesn’t cut it anymore. It would be advantageous for MSU to up the food scene with maybe gourmet hot dog cart or personal pizzas to order. Is there the possibility to have a rotation of different food trucks? I just think this would add to the game day experience.

Adult Social: I am not sure if MSU has discussed selling alcohol at sporting events. I am not a fan of seeing a bunch of wasted folks either. However, if there was a designated area to have quality beer or a glass of wine and watch the game that would be kind of neat. It is not a deal killer, but something to consider. Again, I don’t want to take away from the family atmosphere, but football has tailgating.

Overall, it was a great family friendly and fun experience. Seeing the sports programs continue to grow and thrive is great. I am going to hit a few more games this season and get behind the basketball program. The $5 general admission tickets are a steal and a great way for a family to attend a game.

Happy New Year! Go Cats!
Glad you and your family were there. Go to a few women's games too. They're really fun, and great general admission seats in the 100 level all around.

I agree with everything you posted. The hot dogs are bit soggy this year and food choices are pretty limited. A food truck behind the end court bleachers would be nice. My theory is that crowds haven't been large enough to justify better food so with the crowds starting to grow maybe the food choices will too?

Alcohol at MSU sporting events has been debated a lot on this message board. I think a beer/wine garden would be fine, but Worthington Arena doesn't set up too well for that in its present configuration. The arena in Boise where the Big Sky tournament is held has a wide concourse above the lower seating bowl. You can hit the concession stands and still see the action on the court-and they sell beer and cocktails. Nobody got drunk that I could see (it is pretty expensive). It's pretty cool.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:05 pm

Regimen wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:00 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

Pro’s

Con’s

Happy New Year! Go Cats!
Agreed on all counts

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:31 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:40 am
First game in the Fieldhouse since the 1996 title game against Weber. Solid crowd for a Monday night on winter break. The arena is so much nicer now. A great time and a solid win!
Wow! Congratulations. That ‘96 game is still one of the most exciting games I ever remember seeing. I still have the 1996 championship T-shirt that they sold the next week. The energy was amazing that night, in large part due to one Danny Sprinkle. And now he’s bringing the energy again! Go, ‘Cats.