way to early 2020 projected starters?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: way to early 2020 projected starters?

Post by CelticCat » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:00 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:25 pm
Steel could be the next Kassis (emphasis on the "could be").

I expect Snell to get some more time at TE. His blocking on the edge this year was very good, and he has underrated ball skills. If we continue to run the ball as much as we do, he will get a lot of playing time. If we pass more (we probably will), then Lonergan will get a lot of time. I think Lonergan has all the tools to be All-Big Sky in a year or two - very glad we were able to red-shirt him this year.

Talking to some of the young Olinemen, they say that Tua and Schmidt are animals and tough to block. I would expect both of them to be in the Dline rotation.
On the Oline, I think that Kettles (if fully recovered from ACL) will push for time, as will Anthony Sessions (also recovering from surgery), as will Sampson. However, barring injury, time will be hard to come by with the starting 5 that we've got.
As much as I like Steel, he isn't in the same mold as Kassis (I'm not saying same league). It's that Steel is 5'9 177 and Kassis is 6' 202 and needed a permit for those guns. And Kassis was the best route runner we've had in a long time.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:15 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:25 pm
Steel could be the next Kassis (emphasis on the "could be").

I expect Snell to get some more time at TE. His blocking on the edge this year was very good, and he has underrated ball skills. If we continue to run the ball as much as we do, he will get a lot of playing time. If we pass more (we probably will), then Lonergan will get a lot of time. I think Lonergan has all the tools to be All-Big Sky in a year or two - very glad we were able to red-shirt him this year.

Talking to some of the young Olinemen, they say that Tua and Schmidt are animals and tough to block. I would expect both of them to be in the Dline rotation.
On the Oline, I think that Kettles (if fully recovered from ACL) will push for time, as will Anthony Sessions (also recovering from surgery), as will Sampson. However, barring injury, time will be hard to come by with the starting 5 that we've got.
Good chance these three will be starting as redshirt sophomores in 2021. I envision the MSU 2021 OLine will be Jacob Kettels (LT), Holden Sampson (LG), Zach Redd (C), TJ Session (RG), Connor Wood (RT).

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:42 am

I wouldn't be surprised to see Choate keep dipping into that UW DL well as long as he can.

That said we have some dudes waiting in the wings here (class 2020)
Kyle Finch 6'4 240 will be SR
Seer Deines 6'3 260 as a RS SO, I think he has the frame to get up to 280-290. DT?
Byron Rollins 6'2 252 SR
Blake Schmidt 6'2 270 SO (DT?)
Kyle Rygg 6'5 268 JR
Tua Areta 6'3 382 RS FR uh yea hope he can keep in football shape
Tyson Regimbal 6'3 250 SR - didn't play much this year after transferring in from a JC

Lots of young talent there, but probably do need a transfer to solidify that group.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:52 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:42 am
I wouldn't be surprised to see Choate keep dipping into that UW DL well as long as he can.

Seer Deines 6'3 260 as a RS SO, I think he has the frame to get up to 280-290. DT?
Byron Rollins 6'2 252 SR
Kyle Rygg 6'5 268 JR
Tyson Regimbal 6'3 250 SR - didn't play much this year after transferring in from a JC

Lots of young talent there, but probably do need a transfer to solidify that group.
Isn't Tyson going to be a Junior since he redshirted this year? Chase Benson and Amandre Williams will obviously be back. I can't wait to see what Wehr can do but it will probably be at least another year in the weight room.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:56 am

technoCat wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:52 am
CelticCat wrote:

Byron Rollins 6'2 252 SR
Kyle Rygg 6'5 268 JR

Isn't Tyson going to be a Junior since he redshirted this year? Chase Benson and Amandre Williams will obviously be back. I can't wait to see what Wehr can do but it will probably be at least another year in the weight room.
I like Wehr too

Surprised to hear Tua is progressing the way he is - figured he’d be a project

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:30 am

CelticCat wrote:

Byron Rollins 6'2 252 SR
Kyle Rygg 6'5 268 JR

couple corrections on the guys mentioned above:

Byron Rollins is going to be a JR.
Regimball is going to be a JR (redshirted this last season)
Blake Schmidt will be a redshirt freshman

FTG- GO CATS GO!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:40 am

CelticCat wrote:

Byron Rollins 6'2 252 SR
Kyle Rygg 6'5 268 JR

Tua was in good enough shape to play in a few games this year. I know he played a handful of snaps against Cal Poly.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:08 pm

I looked at a website that lists FBS portal guys. There is a UW DLine guy that is in there. Looks like he originally went to UTEP. I’m strictly guessing but I’d bet Choate recruited him to both places. Looks like a TANK

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:29 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:15 am
speaking of young players the coaches are high on (like Kettles, mentioned above). Who are the picks for younger players that will burst onto the scene this next year, similar to Coy Steel and Callaghan O'Reilly did this last season... Who would have guessed that O'Reilly would lead the team in tackles going into this last season... haha. crazy.

One that I will be keeping an eye on- Seer Dienes, I still think this guy is going to be an impact player on the DL sooner than later. I remember the coaches were really high on this guy out of high school.

So many redshirt freshman and/or sophomore's though, that could make that big jump next year. I really like all the young CB's... curious how Joe Olson looks at RB (assuming he is back to 100% health wise)… Byron Rollins seems like he has a bright future... Tua Areta is a mountain, curious to see if he can crack the 2 deep... a handful of young receivers, which could help fill the Kassis/Jonsen void... That true freshman punter will probably be the guy, all American, replacing padmos…
I am intrigued by DIenes too, not sure if he ideally plays NT and kicks Benson to Marks' position as DT or what but I know Choate mentioned him by name several times last year as a true freshman. I noticed he had his arm in a sling at some point this year (similar to what you see in a collarbone injury), does anyone know what his injury was? If he recovered 100% I think he has a ton of potential.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:35 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:29 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
speaking of young players the coaches are high on (like Kettles, mentioned above). Who are the picks for younger players that will burst onto the scene this next year, similar to Coy Steel and Callaghan O'Reilly did this last season... Who would have guessed that O'Reilly would lead the team in tackles going into this last season... haha. crazy.

One that I will be keeping an eye on- Seer Dienes, I still think this guy is going to be an impact player on the DL sooner than later. I remember the coaches were really high on this guy out of high school.

So many redshirt freshman and/or sophomore's though, that could make that big jump next year. I really like all the young CB's... curious how Joe Olson looks at RB (assuming he is back to 100% health wise)… Byron Rollins seems like he has a bright future... Tua Areta is a mountain, curious to see if he can crack the 2 deep... a handful of young receivers, which could help fill the Kassis/Jonsen void... That true freshman punter will probably be the guy, all American, replacing padmos…
I am intrigued by DIenes too, not sure if he ideally plays NT and kicks Benson to Marks' position as DT or what but I know Choate mentioned him by name several times last year as a true freshman. I noticed he had his arm in a sling at some point this year (similar to what you see in a collarbone injury), does anyone know what his injury was? If he recovered 100% I think he has a ton of potential.
Seer is our replacement for Benson in 2021. If he gets healthy enough, he will push for starting honors next year. Played in four games as a true freshman before redshirting.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:45 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:08 pm
I looked at a website that lists FBS portal guys. There is a UW DLine guy that is in there. Looks like he originally went to UTEP. I’m strictly guessing but I’d bet Choate recruited him to both places. Looks like a TANK
He didn't go to UTEP.

Walked-on at UW. Earned a scholarship last year. Been hurt a couple times. Would be a medical redshirt, I'm assuming.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:51 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:45 pm
94VegasCat wrote:
He didn't go to UTEP.

Walked-on at UW. Earned a scholarship last year. Been hurt a couple times. Would be a medical redshirt, I'm assuming.
Yea he's had some big surgeries in his career, gotta feel for a kid like that who earned a scholarship after walking on. He was a 5th year senior this last year so I assume it would be a medical year somewhere, maybe as a grad transfer? Not sure how that would work.

John Clark is the guy if anyone was wondering. All speculation of course.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:51 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:35 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:29 pm
mslacatfan wrote:

Seer is our replacement for Benson in 2021. If he gets healthy enough, he will push for starting honors next year. Played in four games as a true freshman before redshirting.
Gotcha, thanks VIM!

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:47 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:51 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:45 pm
94VegasCat wrote:
He didn't go to UTEP.

Yea he's had some big surgeries in his career, gotta feel for a kid like that who earned a scholarship after walking on. He was a 5th year senior this last year so I assume it would be a medical year somewhere, maybe as a grad transfer? Not sure how that would work.

John Clark is the guy if anyone was wondering. All speculation of course.
Thanks for the insight. 👍🏻👍🏻

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:18 pm

I might have missed it, but does anybody know the status of Jalen Cole? Is there still a chance for him to play next year or is he done?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:02 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:18 pm
I might have missed it, but does anybody know the status of Jalen Cole? Is there still a chance for him to play next year or is he done?
I'm anxiously waiting for this spring to see if Jalen Cole and Keaton Anderson can return to the team.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:21 pm

Daniel Hardy is an ATHLETE!

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:15 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:43 pm
iaafan wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:35 pm
Team10 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:33 pm
iaafan wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:11 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:48 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:08 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:49 am
QB: McKay
RB: Ifanse
FB: Fitzgerald
TE: Davis/Lonergan
WR: Steel
WR: McCutcheon/Naequan Parker (Monroe should battle here too)
WR: Charles Brown or James Campbell
LT: Kidd
LG: Tui
C: Redd
RG: Sessions
RT: Wood

SDE: Jobman/Rollins/Transfer
DT: Deines/Transfer
DT: Benson
Buck: Williams
SAM: Andersen
Mike: O'Reilly
Will: Askelson/Grebe
S: Okada
S: Transfer/Ortt/King/Zambrano
CB: Filer
CB: Thomas

K: Mancini
P: Leighton
PR: Steel
KR: Sumner/King
Marshal is going to be our best player at WR.
Completely forgot about him!

I'd like to see him involved in the passing game.
Jaden Smith and Estes, too.
Don't forget about the Arizona transfer, Thomas Marcus.
Whatchootawkinboutwillis?
Thomas Marcus was a University of Arizona transfer that announced he was coming to MSU in August. Then nothing happened with it so I'm assuming something got denied. No coaches follow him on twitter anymore so I don't think Marcus will be in Bozeman any time soon.
Maybe this is still gonna happen.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:48 am

Setting the bar by wearing #10 as well, this looks VERY promising :!:

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:08 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:48 am
Setting the bar by wearing #10 as well, this looks VERY promising :!:
guess my question is if he announced he was departing in August why wasn't he here in January? Was it academic or is the transfer portal that big a deal to get cleared?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back