Can we be James Madison?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: Can we be James Madison?

Post by RickRund » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:44 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:51 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:49 am
Bocephus wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:23 am
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:04 pm
We can't have letdown games like UND. But it's going to be extremely hard to get a 2 seed, because JMU isn't going to slide any time soon. We could go 10-1 next year but so will JMU and therefore we won't get the 2 seed.
You never know what might happen, as long as the Cats position themselves at #3, any minor hiccup by JMU would have us leapfrog them.

I’m guessing preseason polls will have us at #4
It almost makes me sick to say this, but I will not be shocked if the griz are ranked higher than us in the preseason poll. We will definitely be top 8 but not sure where in the top 8.
I will be shocked if MSU is lower than UM. We advanced further than them AND we DOMINATED THEM IN THE LAST REGULAR SEASON GAME. Any voter who places them ahead of us should have their voting privileges taken away.
The griz will be ranked higher due to the fact that Weber wore dark unis and were able to conceal themselves. The reason for the 5 picks and bobbies feeling are hurt...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:46 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:55 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Bocephus wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
We can't have letdown games like UND. But it's going to be extremely hard to get a 2 seed, because JMU isn't going to slide any time soon. We could go 10-1 next year but so will JMU and therefore we won't get the 2 seed.
You never know what might happen, as long as the Cats position themselves at #3, any minor hiccup by JMU would have us leapfrog them.

It almost makes me sick to say this, but I will not be shocked if the griz are ranked higher than us in the preseason poll. We will definitely be top 8 but not sure where in the top 8.
I will be shocked if MSU is lower than UM. We advanced further than them AND we DOMINATED THEM IN THE LAST REGULAR SEASON GAME. Any voter who places them ahead of us should have their voting privileges taken away.
On top of that you could argue that UM's 3 best players, Sneed, Olson, Sims are all graduating. Not true for MSU. Troy will be back, Brott gone and then good luck picking the 3rd. Sterk, Jonsen, Konkol, Infanse later in the season would all be in the conversation. Also, UM is graduating 2 of their best and experienced Oline players. A weakness gets worse. Especially if the new QB isn't mobile like Sneed.

I'm guessing we start out in the 4-6 range. After the top 2, SDSU got hit with the injury bug but will be ranked high, Weber returns Josh Davis, Constantine, Shaheed, and few of their def stars. Thomson, Dotson will be back for Sac state but after their finish im not sure any writer would vote them above the Cats. Really, EWU will get some love so there could potentially be 4-5 BSC teams in the top 15. So complete shot in the dark:

1. NDSU
2. JMU
3. SDSU
4. Weber St
5. Montana St
I thought Thomson was done. Thought he was a 6th year guy???

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:41 pm

Don't underestimate JMU. They lost to UWV by only 7 points, which is a middle of the pack Big 12 team. They can definitely beat NDSU, and should be only slight underdogs in Frisco. They have become the 1A and 1B of FCS, much like Alabama and Clemson have been in FBS. They're the only other team that's won a NC and the only team that's beaten NDSU in the playoffs, during the last 9 years. I have a hunch they'll be playing with a huge chip on their shoulder too, because you know they believe they're just as good as NDSU if not better, but no one is giving them a chance to win the game. So if you're asking if we can be JMU, you may as well ask if we can be NDSU. Obviously they don't yet have all the NC that NDSU has, but I believe they are poised to compete pretty much head to head with NDSU over the next few years. But dynasties don't last forever. Just because they're head and shoulders above everyone else right now, that doesn't mean they'll still be there 3-4 years from now. At the beginning of this season, everyone assumed Alabama was a lock to be in the CFB again this year, but of course they're not.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:42 pm

RickRund wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:46 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Bocephus wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

On top of that you could argue that UM's 3 best players, Sneed, Olson, Sims are all graduating. Not true for MSU. Troy will be back, Brott gone and then good luck picking the 3rd. Sterk, Jonsen, Konkol, Infanse later in the season would all be in the conversation. Also, UM is graduating 2 of their best and experienced Oline players. A weakness gets worse. Especially if the new QB isn't mobile like Sneed.

I'm guessing we start out in the 4-6 range. After the top 2, SDSU got hit with the injury bug but will be ranked high, Weber returns Josh Davis, Constantine, Shaheed, and few of their def stars. Thomson, Dotson will be back for Sac state but after their finish im not sure any writer would vote them above the Cats. Really, EWU will get some love so there could potentially be 4-5 BSC teams in the top 15. So complete shot in the dark:

1. NDSU
2. JMU
3. SDSU
4. Weber St
5. Montana St
He is 6th year...6th year JUNIOR!! Still don’t know how that’s possible!🤷🏻‍♂️

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:06 am

EWU is going to be hit hard with graduation this year too, maybe the hardest outta of all the top tier BSC teams (MSU, UM, Weber and Sac st). This is just on the offense, they lose their starting RB, one of the starting receivers, all 5 starting O lineman and starting TE.

profisme
Member # Retired

Post by profisme » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:41 am

RickRund wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:46 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Bocephus wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

1. NDSU
2. JMU
3. SDSU
4. Weber St
5. Montana St
"Hey, did you hear I finally graduated?"

"Yeah, in just a shade under a decade too."

"You know, a lot of people go to college for 7 years."

"Yeah, they're called doctors."

-Elias P. Harmon-

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:32 am

So what do you like literally take Billiards 101 if you've graduated and just hang out for your 7th year while you play football?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:01 am

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:32 am
So what do you like literally take Billiards 101 if you've graduated and just hang out for your 7th year while you play football?
I checked out their roster and bios earlier this morning. Thomson graduated in May 19 and now he’s enrolled as a graduate. His bio was pretty fuzzy on his first two years of eligibility.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:39 am

Cledus wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:01 am
CelticCat wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:32 am
I checked out their roster and bios earlier this morning. Thomson graduated in May 19 and now he’s enrolled as a graduate. His bio was pretty fuzzy on his first two years of eligibility.
https://statehornet.com/2019/10/kevin-t ... -football/

Thomson was granted an extra two years of eligibility from the NCAA before the 2019 season, stemming from the two seasons he spent at UNLV recovering from surgery.
So he gets 7 years to play 4:

2014 - redshirt UNLV
2015 - reserve UNLV
2016 - transferred to Sac State- football ????
2017 - started 8 games
2018 - started 7 games
2019 started 12 games
2020 - still eligible

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:15 am

Start here:
https://www.jmusports.com/facilities/br ... er-field/1

Then seriously consider this:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/collegefoo ... o-fbs/amp/

https://www.dnronline.com/sports/how-se ... dfc1a.html

MSU does not have either the facilities or the budget to realistically be in the same conversation, especially when one factors in the member institutions of the Big Sky Conference. Our nearest FCS Conference offers many more sports (as does the CAA) and can reasonably expect to field cometitive teams in the other revenue sport of basketball by playing in the Summit League. Remaining in the Big Sky in its present configuration and expecting to rise to that level of excellence is a pipe dream and then one ought to factor in that flat ass broken institution 200 miles west on I-90 that the MSU Athletic Department is tied to by the BOR and this is a silly conversation. Ludicrous at best.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:38 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:15 am
Start here:
https://www.jmusports.com/facilities/br ... er-field/1

Then seriously consider this:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/collegefoo ... o-fbs/amp/

https://www.dnronline.com/sports/how-se ... dfc1a.html

MSU does not have either the facilities or the budget to realistically be in the same conversation, especially when one factors in the member institutions of the Big Sky Conference. Our nearest FCS Conference offers many more sports (as does the CAA) and can reasonably expect to field cometitive teams in the other revenue sport of basketball by playing in the Summit League. Remaining in the Big Sky in its present configuration and expecting to rise to that level of excellence is a pipe dream and then one ought to factor in that flat ass broken institution 200 miles west on I-90 that the MSU Athletic Department is tied to by the BOR and this is a silly conversation. Ludicrous at best.
That is good information. Thanks for doing the research. Sometimes it’s hard to comprehend what the Cat’s are competing against. It is a little hard to put um and JMU in the same conversation after reading those articles. We have a ways to go to be JMU but at least MSU and the Bobcats are headed in the right direction.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:48 am

Reading in another thread I noticed the usual uninformed discussions concerning ticket prices and one individual mentioned free loaders, another brought up the comparison to NDSU ticket prices and I thought of another reason why it's hilariously funny to even think MSU is positioned to compete with James Madison. Funny that the individual who complains about the free loaders is getting season tickets in the "high society" section of Bobcat Stadium isn't really paying what the cheap seats cost for James Madison. Said individual wouldn't be able to buy a single seat in an SEC stadium for what he can get season tickets for a family of four at MSU. Yet that same individual is looking down his nose at cheap seats at MSU.

Check out the James Madison ticket prices this year:

http://jmusports.com/news/2019/3/19/tic ... start.aspx

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:17 am

Student fees at JMU are $39 million of there $52 million budget. MSU is $2 million out of $22.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:42 am

I'm tempted to post the numbers for William & Mary among others. Our filthy rich alumni need to step it up significantly and the deadbeat businesses getting a free ride with their psuedo contributions so they can put posters of various MSU Athletic teams on their walls ought to be ashamed of themselves.

At least the BOR has finally come close to recognizing Dr. Cruzado's worth to the community and state of Montana (still way below the national average and MSU is more than a nationally recognized institution). I firmly believe a reorganization in parking and ticket prices for MSU Revenue sports is long overdue and it's time to increase the number of teams MSU offers for the student-athletes of this great institution. Ludicrous that a student can pay less for out-of-state tuition and fees at MSU than they would pay in their homestate. Absolutely ridiculous.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:13 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:42 am
I'm tempted to post the numbers for William & Mary among others. Our filthy rich alumni need to step it up significantly and the deadbeat businesses getting a free ride with their psuedo contributions so they can put posters of various MSU Athletic teams on their walls ought to be ashamed of themselves.

At least the BOR has finally come close to recognizing Dr. Cruzado's worth to the community and state of Montana (still way below the national average and MSU is more than a nationally recognized institution). I firmly believe a reorganization in parking and ticket prices for MSU Revenue sports is long overdue and it's time to increase the number of teams MSU offers for the student-athletes of this great institution. Ludicrous that a student can pay less for out-of-state tuition and fees at MSU than they would pay in their homestate. Absolutely ridiculous.
You are calling out our BOR for keeping prices affordable? This is ridiculous. Prices are not affordable even though they are lower than other places instate fees. I was able to earn enough during the summers that in 4 years I owed about $800. There is no way a student can do this today, it's not affordable . I also checked out your post on ticket prices. The cheap seats there are $400 a year for 4 tickets. I don't see how this is vastly more expensive than our pricing.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:03 pm

allcat wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:13 am
Cat Grad wrote:

You are calling out our BOR for keeping prices affordable? This is ridiculous. Prices are not affordable even though they are lower than other places instate fees. I was able to earn enough during the summers that in 4 years I owed about $800. There is no way a student can do this today, it's not affordable . I also checked out your post on ticket prices. The cheap seats there are $400 a year for 4 tickets. I don't see how this is vastly more expensive than our pricing.
You are one prize for Christ's sake and your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired but it's typical for you. I suggest you go reread the data and what is required to get the cheap seats. The OP poses the question as to whether or not MSU can become James Madison and there's more than enough data readily available to anyone with an iota sound business practices and common sense to readily realize it's an unattainable goal given the present state of MSU's facilities and resources. I believe that you'd go broke selling booze in a whore house in Nevada. Probably lose your ass with a bar in Montana that was given to you.

As far as your argument concerning tuition AND FEES...I'm beginning to believe you really do believe it's perfectly fine for MSU to offer out-of-state students a less expensive education than they can receive in their homestate...

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:11 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:03 pm
allcat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

You are one prize for Christ's sake and your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired but it's typical for you. I suggest you go reread the data and what is required to get the cheap seats. The OP poses the question as to whether or not MSU can become James Madison and there's more than enough data readily available to anyone with an iota sound business practices and common sense to readily realize it's an unattainable goal given the present state of MSU's facilities and resources. I believe that you'd go broke selling booze in a whore house in Nevada. Probably lose your ass with a bar in Montana that was given to you.

As far as your argument concerning tuition AND FEES...I'm beginning to believe you really do believe it's perfectly fine for MSU to offer out-of-state students a less expensive education than they can receive in their homestate...
In the past I have argued with you but never said you were an outright idiot, I now regret that. Your right and also a flaming idiot. I made a very good living running a bar, not sucking on the public tit as you did which puts you in the idiot realm. You are also correct as to the out of state students. Glad to have them when they seem to be paying for a quality education and helping the in state kids with the costs. I have encouraged you to take your meds as you usually seem to need them. One again I think you should either remember to take your meds, or up the dose.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:17 pm

allcat wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:11 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
allcat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

In the past I have argued with you but never said you were an outright idiot, I now regret that. Your right and also a flaming idiot. I made a very good living running a bar, not sucking on the public tit as you did which puts you in the idiot realm. You are also correct as to the out of state students. Glad to have them when they seem to be paying for a quality education and helping the in state kids with the costs. I have encouraged you to take your meds as you usually seem to need them. One again I think you should either remember to take your meds, or up the dose.
You ought to sober up. You really should. Your nonsensical drivel is beyond old and yes, it's a reflection of your sad and miserable existence. I'm actually rather proud of my MSU ROTC provided education and the many years I was "...sucking on the public tit..."
Plus, I like to think my service afforded miserable excuses such as you the opportunity to act like the ass you are. Why don't you simply utilize the ignore function rather than continually attempt to refute logical and worthwhile posts by some, to include me?

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:47 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:17 pm
allcat wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:11 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
allcat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

You ought to sober up. You really should. Your nonsensical drivel is beyond old and yes, it's a reflection of your sad and miserable existence. I'm actually rather proud of my MSU ROTC provided education and the many years I was "...sucking on the public tit..."
Plus, I like to think my service afforded miserable excuses such as you the opportunity to act like the ass you are. Why don't you simply utilize the ignore function rather than continually attempt to refute logical and worthwhile posts by some, to include me?
I've yet to find you logical or worthwhile. Isn't it odd that you think I should ignore you, yet you argue with me. Since you think I should be the one to ignore, doesn't that either make you the idiot or the ass. Also if you think your sucking afforded me this opportunity gives you pride, it would seem to be misspent. I know you can't help yourself to get the last word, so I will afford you that this will be my final post on this thread, however I will call out your future drivel.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:48 pm

A Clangbird is a creature that continuously flies in circles of every decreasing size, as the circle gets smaller, the Clangbird flies faster, until, with a violent CLANG, the Clangbird disappears up it's own arse. It's only by the will of God that the Clangbird still exists.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act