NDSU vs JMU

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

nanacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

NDSU vs JMU

Post by nanacat » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:56 am

Is it a foregone conclusion that NDSU repeats? Wasn't able to watch the JMU/Weber game. I think NDSU may have played their best game of the year against the Cats, but now they have 3 weeks to soak. Guess we'll see who brings it.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: NDSU vs JMU

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:42 am

A week ago I thought it was JMU all the way. But Ndsu seems to have fixed their offensive struggles against us last Saturday. I guess we'll see on that. But I think it's anybody's game.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:59 am

Massey has NDSU winning 31-28... Bison by 2 scores...

Massey also dropped us 2 spots to #6 behind Weber, NIU AND the griz...

Be interesting to see the final rankings.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

CPrice91
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by CPrice91 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:48 pm

A lot of people I've talked to think JMU can/will win. But then, I heard the same thing for the Cats...

Honestly haven't been able to watch much of JMU. I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of some of the better informed folks on here.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:19 am

Ndsu is a top 20 team. They might’ve won the PAC12 this year. It’d be an upset if JMU wins. I think MSU could’ve beaten JMU. The Bison won’t get three 70 yard TDs this game, but it’ll be around 35-10.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:43 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:19 am
Ndsu is a top 20 team. They might’ve won the PAC12 this year. It’d be an upset if JMU wins. I think MSU could’ve beaten JMU. The Bison won’t get three 70 yard TDs this game, but it’ll be around 35-10.
Couldn't possibly disagree any more strongly (respectfully). Not a chance in heck that NDSU is a top-20 team, they would be bottom 1/3 in the Mountain West. That's not to take anything away from NDSU, they are a very good team, but it's a whole different level at the FCS vs. FBS level. They wouldn't win more than maybe one game in the Pac 12. Now, give them more scholarships and TV money and in a few years, they may be competitive in the MWC, but today they wouldn't be there. Don't oversell these guys, they certainly don't need the ego stroke!

GO CATS GO!!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:37 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:43 am
iaafan wrote:
Couldn't possibly disagree any more strongly (respectfully). Not a chance in heck that NDSU is a top-20 team, they would be bottom 1/3 in the Mountain West. That's not to take anything away from NDSU, they are a very good team, but it's a whole different level at the FCS vs. FBS level. They wouldn't win more than maybe one game in the Pac 12. Now, give them more scholarships and TV money and in a few years, they may be competitive in the MWC, but today they wouldn't be there. Don't oversell these guys, they certainly don't need the ego stroke!
I disagree. NDSU would not be bottom 1/3 in the Mtn. West. They'd be 2nd to Boise. NDSU would've won the Sun Belt, MAC, Conf. USA and would've been in the hunt in the AAC. James Madison wouldn't do too bad in those conferences either.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:03 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:37 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
iaafan wrote:
I disagree. NDSU would not be bottom 1/3 in the Mtn. West. They'd be 2nd to Boise. NDSU would've won the Sun Belt, MAC, Conf. USA and would've been in the hunt in the AAC. James Madison wouldn't do too bad in those conferences either.
I don’t think so. I watch a lot of MWC football living in Boise, and I think if they had to play a full slate of conference games, including actually having to play on the road, they would win 2 or 3 conference games (out of 8). They’d get beat by BSU, Wyoming, Air Force, SDSU, Hawaii, Nevada, Utah State, Fresno, they’d lose most of the time. Toss ups with San Jose State (they’re getting better) and Colorado State. They’d beat UNLV and New Mexico regularly. They might pull an upset at home, but I don’t think they’d be anywhere near the top.

GO CATS GO!!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:47 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:03 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
iaafan wrote:
I don’t think so. I watch a lot of MWC football living in Boise, and I think if they had to play a full slate of conference games, including actually having to play on the road, they would win 2 or 3 conference games (out of 8). They’d get beat by BSU, Wyoming, Air Force, SDSU, Hawaii, Nevada, Utah State, Fresno, they’d lose most of the time. Toss ups with San Jose State (they’re getting better) and Colorado State. They’d beat UNLV and New Mexico regularly. They might pull an upset at home, but I don’t think they’d be anywhere near the top.
I have this theory that when people watch a conference, class, division a lot they start to think the players/teams are better than they are. When I watch HS basketball after not watching it for a while, it looks not so good. Then after I watch it regularly for a few weeks, it starts to seem better.

When's the last time NDSU has lost to a FBS team? And they don't even play G5 teams. I think they've beaten Kans. State, No. 13 Iowa, Iowa State by 20, Minnesota by 13, Colo. State by 15 in the past 8-9 years, all on the road.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... -state-fbs

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:05 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:47 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
iaafan wrote:
I have this theory that when people watch a conference, class, division a lot they start to think the players/teams are better than they are. When I watch HS basketball after not watching it for a while, it looks not so good. Then after I watch it regularly for a few weeks, it starts to seem better.

When's the last time NDSU has lost to a FBS team? And they don't even play G5 teams. I think they've beaten Kans. State, No. 13 Iowa, Iowa State by 20, Minnesota by 13, Colo. State by 15 in the past 8-9 years, all on the road.

Their last FBS loss was in 2009 (they were 3-8 that year) to Iowa State. Add Kansas in 2010 to that list. They’re 6-0 vs FBS (all P5) teams in their last 6 games.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:56 am

NDSU opens against Oregon next season. That'll be interesting. Oregon will be breaking in a new quarterback.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:21 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:05 am
TomCat88 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Their last FBS loss was in 2009 (they were 3-8 that year) to Iowa State. Add Kansas in 2010 to that list. They’re 6-0 vs FBS (all P5) teams in their last 6 games.
Don't get me wrong, they've been very impressive when playing the big boys. I think their coaches and A.D. have also been very smart in who they've scheduled.

@TomCat88, I agree about the "thinking guys are better than they are" argument, at least to a point. I see it a lot here in Boise - everyone around here thinks BSU would compete in any conference, and it's just not true. They have had great success when playing P5 teams (Vegas Bowl this year notwithstanding), but playing those teams week in and week out when the stakes are the same is a far cry from playing them once a year when the game likely means a lot more to the underdog than it does to the big, bad schools with all the money. That's my same argument for NDSU.

GO CATS GO!!!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:27 am

TomCat88 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
iaafan wrote:

While I think they're better than what Bozone does, playing one FBS team every so often, is a lot different than playing one every week. I think they'd be a middle of the road Big 10 team, tbh.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:54 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:27 am
TomCat88 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
iaafan wrote:

While I think they're better than what Bozone does, playing one FBS team every so often, is a lot different than playing one every week. I think they'd be a middle of the road Big 10 team, tbh.
I was surprised how easily Boise was handled by the Huskies... Didn't watch it but seemed to be not even a game.... By looking at the outcome only.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:11 pm

JMU is the more skilled, fast, and athletic team. NDSU is the machine who doesn’t make mistakes. This is going to be an awesome match up and I can’t wait to watch it! Vegas has it as a pick em game. Personally I think JMU sneaks out a win. I’ve watched them a few times this year and they are the one team who could surprise the bison.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:53 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:11 pm
JMU is the more skilled, fast, and athletic team. NDSU is the machine who doesn’t make mistakes. This is going to be an awesome match up and I can’t wait to watch it! Vegas has it as a pick em game. Personally I think JMU sneaks out a win. I’ve watched them a few times this year and they are the one team who could surprise the bison.
I agree with you...right up to the point where you pick JMU to win the game. JMU is very good, and I don't think there's a chance in hell that they'll get blown out, but I just can't go so far as to actually pick them to beat NDSU. I think the Massey prediction of 31-28 will end up being very close, except maybe a bit lower scoring than that. I"m going to go with NDSU by a score of 28-24, or maybe 24-21. I'd be shocked if NDSU beat them by more than one score though. These two team are far ahead of anyone else in FCS this season.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:16 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:05 am
TomCat88 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Those six games came in a span of, what, 7-8 years? Now no one will schedule them. Speaks volumes.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:28 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:27 am
TomCat88 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
iaafan wrote:

If they were playing one every week, they’d be operating with 85 full rides. Let that sink in for awhile.

toM StUber