Quarterback

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Quarterback

Post by allcat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:00 pm

In the FBS both Clemson and Oklahoma are playing cast aside QB's. Burrows from Ohio State and Hurts from Alabama. I'm not really making judgements about our QB's, just stating that even if one does not work for your team, he just might shine in another.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

SteelBobcat
New Recruit

Re: Quarterback

Post by SteelBobcat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:24 pm

This is why we added Matt McKay

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:34 pm

Tyler Bruggman was one of the most highly recruited QBs out of HS his senior year. It just never worked out. Not saying McKay is going to bust, but let’s not forget Rovig led us to a top 4 finish this year. The grass isn’t always greener.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:53 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:34 pm
Tyler Bruggman was one of the most highly recruited QBs out of HS his senior year. It just never worked out. Not saying McKay is going to bust, but let’s not forget Rovig led us to a top 4 finish this year. The grass isn’t always greener.
Who led the Cats? Rovig? Or the running game and the defense?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:30 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:53 pm
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Total team effort and Tucker was a part of it in 2019. No one can argue he wasn't a positive the last four games of the year. Safe to say it will be different in 2020, regardless of who plays QB. Matt and Tucker will compete and the best QB will win the job. In my opinion, MSU needs a more dynamic signal caller to get to the "next level". Matt McKay fits the bill. Spring ball 2020 will once again be a battle.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:57 pm

At every level and at every position you have to have competition. I feel that between Rovig, Bauman and McKay, there is going to be a battle for the starting spot. Those guys are going to push each other to get even better then they already are. The best one will start. Guess what happens when you start the struggle though, next man up!!
Last edited by GoCats18 on Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Punters are people too!!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:16 pm

allcat wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:00 pm
In the FBS both Clemson and Oklahoma are playing cast aside QB's. Burrows from Ohio State and Hurts from Alabama. I'm not really making judgements about our QB's, just stating that even if one does not work for your team, he just might shine in another.
You mean LSU....Burrows plays for LSU.

I think Rovig will play the same role as he did this year unless McKay is the second coming of Denarius McGhee. However if everyone is equal, I believe McKay will replace Jonsen, but hopefully with the threat of the pass. Rovig is still 6'-5" and gets a pretty good look downfield. This staff seems to do ok with a platoon system. Not a lot of teams are as unselfish.

2024 Resume dominance

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:30 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:16 pm
allcat wrote:

I think Rovig will play the same role as he did this year unless McKay is the second coming of Denarius McGhee. However if everyone is equal, I believe McKay will replace Jonsen, but hopefully with the threat of the pass. Rovig is still 6'-5" and gets a pretty good look downfield. This staff seems to do ok with a platoon system. Not a lot of teams are as unselfish.
Read what allcat posted one more time. Burrows started out at Ohio State...now at LSU.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:41 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:30 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
allcat wrote:

Read what allcat posted one more time. Burrows started out at Ohio State...now at LSU.
...but he doesn't play for Clemson!

2024 Resume dominance

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:11 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:41 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
allcat wrote:

Ah you are indeed correct. Well I'll see myself out of the bar on this one.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:47 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:41 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
allcat wrote:

You're right. I got the team wrong, but I was just pointing out that 2 of the 4 have castoffs. Also to clarify I was not bashing Rovig, just saying that in the qb world guys might shine a lot of places.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

nanacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by nanacat » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:01 am

Beltran is leaving, McKay is coming in along with a couple HS kids, what does Bauman do? Rovig stepped up, did well throughout playoffs but he's no Lance, and never will be. McKay is a question mark but certainly intriguing. There's no way Choate recruits him if he's content with the QB position, so that question is answered. Will Bauman stick around or does he see the writing on the wall like Beltran did?

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:12 am

bobcat99 wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Clearly the latter. Yes, it's a team game, and yes, Rovig's play improved, but the clear strengths of MSU all season were the running game and the defense.

Clinton T

Post by Clinton T » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:44 am

RobertoGato wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:12 am
bobcat99 wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Clearly the latter. Yes, it's a team game, and yes, Rovig's play improved, but the clear strengths of MSU all season were the running game and the defense.
I can't help but wonder how much more effective Tucker could have been if he was a true rushing threat...

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:47 am

nanacat wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:01 am
Beltran is leaving, McKay is coming in along with a couple HS kids, what does Bauman do? Rovig stepped up, did well throughout playoffs but he's no Lance, and never will be. McKay is a question mark but certainly intriguing. There's no way Choate recruits him if he's content with the QB position, so that question is answered. Will Bauman stick around or does he see the writing on the wall like Beltran did?
There's other QBs on the roster too. John Knight and Blake Thelan redshirted this season so they will be in the mix this Spring. Thelan can spin it pretty well. It will be an interesting off-season.

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:47 am

nanacat wrote:
I’d love for him to stay for competition and depth, but I’d be surprised if he’s on the roster next season.

He’s 1 year younger than both Rovig and McKay, assuming one of those two is the guy the next two years, that would give Bauman only his senior year to possibly start.

Totally understandable for him to leave in that scenario.

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:54 am

Catsrgrood wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:47 am
nanacat wrote:
I’d love for him to stay for competition and depth, but I’d be surprised if he’s on the roster next season.

He’s 1 year younger than both Rovig and McKay, assuming one of those two is the guy the next two years, that would give Bauman only his senior year to possibly start.

This is Bauman’s HS profile. I think he should work his butt off and become our 3 yr starter! Kid values the ball(3 INTS). Rushed for 15 tds and threw for 27. And he is 6’6”! I’m rooting for ya kid!

High School Threw for 2,914 yards with 27 touchdowns and three interception as a senior at Nooksack Valley, scoring 15 touchdowns on the ground, as well... finished his career with 7,437 career passing yards and 65 scoring strikes, with 26 rushing touchdowns... broke all of his school’s passing records... two-time first team all-conference

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:28 am

Bocephus wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:54 am
Catsrgrood wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:47 am
nanacat wrote:

This is Bauman’s HS profile. I think he should work his butt off and become our 3 yr starter! Kid values the ball(3 INTS). Rushed for 15 tds and threw for 27. And he is 6’6”! I’m rooting for ya kid!

High School Threw for 2,914 yards with 27 touchdowns and three interception as a senior at Nooksack Valley, scoring 15 touchdowns on the ground, as well... finished his career with 7,437 career passing yards and 65 scoring strikes, with 26 rushing touchdowns... broke all of his school’s passing records... two-time first team all-conference
It is hard to judge Bauman based on his HS record. The HS was tiny. The population of the town is only 1500. The level of competition was very low.
He has worked hard since coming to MSU but is still behind fundamentally. Maybe by next year he will be ready. However, with the type of offense Choate likes, I think a dual threat QB will be much more effective.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:31 am

Clinton T wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:44 am
RobertoGato wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:12 am
bobcat99 wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
I can't help but wonder how much more effective Tucker could have been if he was a true rushing threat...
I just think as a whole that the position in this offense is crying out for someone who can run the ball and throw the ball effectively. I really don't believe that the staff wants to continue rotating quarterbacks as often as they did at times in 2019. A little bit of it I'm sure is by design, but I would imagine it slows way down with a true dual threat behind center.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:37 am

Rovig all the way. It's his job to lose.