Next Year

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CoachYoast
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Next Year

Post by CoachYoast » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:48 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:36 pm
bcatfan1 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:53 pm
Speed on defense seems like a huge need. (Granted, Troy would have helped that). But our safeties, who have been a strength of the D all season, looked like they were on ice today compared to the NDSU speedsters.
We need speed everywhere.
I'd like to echo this. There was a glaring speed disparity on the field on Saturday.

Ifanse, for example. Really good back, but not a speedy guy. Kassis is the same. Good WR, but not a burner.

Damien Washington is a good zone corner, but he ain't fast.

Our offense, outside of the occasional chunk play by Jonsen/Andersen, most of our gains were the slow and steady kind. Pick them away at 5-6 yards a chunk. Which isn't a bad thing! But when you play a team like NDSU, that's stronger and faster than you, those turn into 2-3 yard gains, and you can't get anywhere. Now there aren't many teams like NDSU, but we still need to get faster.

Hosey at RB has that juice. Rening does too, but I think he's injured? Charles Brown definitely has that speed. We need that in a bad way. We need a TE that's a threat in the passing game (Lonergan?). I think the DB's we're bringing in will be a big help.

Finally, and I think the NDSU game showed this, we need an upgrade at QB. I hope McKay is it, because to be honest, Rovig isn't the guy. He's too often late, has poor ball placement, he's just not good enough. If you want to beat the upper echelon of teams, you need a better QB than that. And Choate knows it.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:50 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
bcatfan1 wrote:
Speed on defense seems like a huge need. (Granted, Troy would have helped that). But our safeties, who have been a strength of the D all season, looked like they were on ice today compared to the NDSU speedsters.
Yep that and a QB are the biggest weakness right now.Some more physicality on offense and defense wouldn’t hurt either.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:55 pm

CoachYoast wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:48 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
bcatfan1 wrote:
I'd like to echo this. There was a glaring speed disparity on the field on Saturday.

Ifanse, for example. Really good back, but not a speedy guy. Kassis is the same. Good WR, but not a burner.

Our offense, outside of the occasional chunk play by Jonsen/Andersen, most of our gains were the slow and steady kind. Pick them away at 5-6 yards a chunk. Which isn't a bad thing! But when you play a team like NDSU, that's stronger and faster than you, those turn into 2-3 yard gains, and you can't get anywhere. Now there aren't many teams like NDSU, but we still need to get faster.

Hosey at RB has that juice. Rening does too, but I think he's injured? Charles Brown definitely has that speed. We need that in a bad way. We need a TE that's a threat in the passing game (Lonergan?). I think the DB's we're bringing in will be a big help.

Finally, and I think the NDSU game showed this, we need an upgrade at QB. I hope McKay is it, because to be honest, Rovig isn't the guy. He's too often late, has poor ball placement, he's just not good enough. If you want to beat the upper echelon of teams, you need a better QB than that. And Choate knows it.
We have had tight ends and have for years, even when Sandland played, we just don’t use them because we never throw over the middle of field to them.

3 times yesterday on 3-6 the tight end was wide open in the middle. He might as well be picking dandelions because he isnt gonna get the ball with the state our throwing game is in.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:59 pm

Your right Coach Yoast on the QB and all of your post to be honest, but watch out our QB is only 21 and if you call a spade a spade your an asshole..But your completely right.

spring creek cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by spring creek cat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:55 pm

I agree with everyone we need speed!! Ifanse is special but the reason he plays for us is his speed. I am hoping next year being fully healthy it will improve! We just didn’t have anyone on our roster that scared anyone. (Troy was out) we need a home run hitter! I really appreciate what Rovig did this year, but he still has a long way to go. We need an upgrade at that spot! If it him improving than awesome, I would love that! But the team has to improve at QB!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:52 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:47 pm
Weber, EWU, and montana all on the road next season. Gonna be tough to repeat what we did in 2019.
https://msubobcats.com/sports/football/schedule/2020
How come Weber gets two in a row? We played em down there in 2018! And Idaho has the same gripe against us. What is it a flip of a coin?

2024 Resume dominance

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:01 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:59 pm
Your right Coach Yoast on the QB and all of your post to be honest, but watch out our QB is only 21 and if you call a spade a spade your an asshole..But your completely right.
Let it go man. This victim act is getting old.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:46 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:52 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:47 pm
Weber, EWU, and montana all on the road next season. Gonna be tough to repeat what we did in 2019.
https://msubobcats.com/sports/football/schedule/2020
How come Weber gets two in a row? We played em down there in 2018! And Idaho has the same gripe against us. What is it a flip of a coin?
I don't particularly like this schedule...I'd rather not play up at and FBS, but schedule another strong FCS program. I'm also disappointed there aren't any Missouri Valley schools on the schedule. Maybe the Big Sky/MVFC challenge has run it's course...but I thought it was great for both conferences.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:59 pm

CoachYoast wrote:

And when you consider how good MSU's roster was this last year, and how big the gap remains between the Bobcats and the FCS's best, you have to start identifying positions where the talent is good enough for most BSC games and find ways to upgrade them.

When you look over the MSU depth chart for a position to circle as an area where more ground can be made up, QB simply has to be #1 on that list.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:01 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:01 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
You came out of nowhere into a discussion I was having with other posters post-Albany game to call me an a-hole. Maybe that is also getting old.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:06 pm

bcatfan1 wrote:
According to Nuanez, Christian Watson was placing at state track as a sprinter in Florida. That's just a different type of athlete than what you're going to see 99% of the time at this level.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:45 am

RobertoGato wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:06 pm
bcatfan1 wrote:
According to Nuanez, Christian Watson was placing at state track as a sprinter in Florida. That's just a different type of athlete than what you're going to see 99% of the time at this level.
Wow, didn't know that. There's fast, and then there is Florida fast. Years ago, I remember a documentary on the subject of fast Florida athletes, something along the lines of they practiced by chasing rabbits. I kid you not.

The Google found me the video on YouTube...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_R_0FryVRNk

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:29 am

RobertoGato wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:59 pm
CoachYoast wrote:

And when you consider how good MSU's roster was this last year, and how big the gap remains between the Bobcats and the FCS's best, you have to start identifying positions where the talent is good enough for most BSC games and find ways to upgrade them.

When you look over the MSU depth chart for a position to circle as an area where more ground can be made up, QB simply has to be #1 on that list.
OMG! And the beat goes on... :roll: #-o

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:30 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:29 am
RobertoGato wrote:
CoachYoast wrote:

Why, on God's green earth would YOU think that Coach Choate has recruited a replacement for the QB's he's already recruited? You might want to become a griz! :roll: 8)

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:55 am

The nutritionist and the strength and conditioning coach prior to completion of the new academic center the following year will make next year even better than this year.

The inevitable turnover among the assistant and position coaches and Coach Choate's ability to replace them with good people is a process I take more than a passing interest in this time of year. I'd really like to see him tap into the Northern Iowa coaching tree NDSU has had such great success with eventually although that's a bit of a pipe dream at this time. Not many young kids want to stray too far from the midwest early in their careers.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:56 am

RobertoGato wrote:
bcatfan1 wrote:
I cannot find hardly anything on Watson's track numbers from HS. I'm a little dubious of that.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:30 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:29 am
RobertoGato wrote:
CoachYoast wrote:

Merry Christmas.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:12 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:56 am
RobertoGato wrote:
bcatfan1 wrote:
I cannot find hardly anything on Watson's track numbers from HS. I'm a little dubious of that.
This is even more impressive than his track and field results:

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-h ... chool-5065

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:29 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:01 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
You came out of nowhere into a discussion I was having with other posters post-Albany game to call me an a-hole. Maybe that is also getting old.
First of all that is literally what happens on a message board. People chime in “out of nowhere”.

Second, certainly didn’t call you an a-hole. I said if you (the general you) think everyone is an a-hole, you’re probably the a-hole. It means if you think everyone is picking on you, maybe take a step back and think about if maybe you are in the wrong. I didn’t call you an a-hole, I’m not that blunt.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:16 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:29 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:01 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
First of all that is literally what happens on a message board. People chime in “out of nowhere”.

Second, certainly didn’t call you an a-hole. I said if you (the general you) think everyone is an a-hole, you’re probably the a-hole. It means if you think everyone is picking on you, maybe take a step back and think about if maybe you are in the wrong. I didn’t call you an a-hole, I’m not that blunt.
.....but did you think it?

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level