Next Year

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

nanacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Next Year

Post by nanacat » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:40 pm

To get the focus off the smack that's taken over several topics...
We've all pretty much agreed this was a great season, a surprise in many ways that we made it to the final four, and excited about the future. But what's to look forward to? Offensive improvement, defensive success? Which players will be impact players to replace the impactful seniors we lose?
I'm excited for a healthy Troy, a healthy Isaiah, the new QB from NC to compete for the start, Sumner, Steel, Marshall, who else?

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Next Year

Post by bpcats20 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:08 pm

Think offensive line will be strength again but defensive line will take a big hit...d- line is an unknown. Expect starting corners to be really good- will take a step back at safety. Biggest thing I see is what an established program and coaching staff can mean to our program.

Expect us to be more balanced on offense next year.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:20 pm

Need some more size at d-tackle. Hope Areta is ready to roll next year.

Inside of the oline is set but who replaces Brott? Both Sessions and Wood got worked today. Hopefully that was from being slightly injured and not being outclassed. We have some very fine prospects in the wings, hoping one or three can step up.

Wide receiver? Who's going to replace Kassis and Jonsen. We need McCutcheon to finally fulfill his potential and Jaden or Peyton or someone to be that 50/50 guy we needed so badly this year. Maybe Lonergan?

I absolutely love Rovig and how he has been such a great team player. Hoping McKay forces him to take that next step next year to being a truly elite qb. If McKay wins, then he has earned it.

Safety is probably the biggest question mark? Three very good seniors leaving and not a lot of guys that rotated in there this year so who knows. Okada probably at one but he's pretty small and more of a nickel.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:20 pm

After watching the game today, it would appear we could also work on team speed. NDSU just ran past us on both sides today.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:25 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:20 pm
After watching the game today, it would appear we could also work on team speed. NDSU just ran past us on both sides today.
When we play fast and decisively, we cover this up pretty good but I would love to see us get those guys that can close after they've been beat. Seems like something we've been without for several years. I feel like Joey Thomas was the last DB we had that was truly elite speed-wise.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:29 pm

technoCat wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:20 pm
Need some more size at d-tackle. Hope Areta is ready to roll next year.

Inside of the oline is set but who replaces Brott? Both Sessions and Wood got worked today. Hopefully that was from being slightly injured and not being outclassed. We have some very fine prospects in the wings, hoping one or three can step up.

Wide receiver? Who's going to replace Kassis and Jonsen. We need McCutcheon to finally fulfill his potential and Jaden or Peyton or someone to be that 50/50 guy we needed so badly this year. Maybe Lonergan?

I absolutely love Rovig and how he has been such a great team player. Hoping McKay forces him to take that next step next year to being a truly elite qb. If McKay wins, then he has earned it.

Safety is probably the biggest question mark? Three very good seniors leaving and not a lot of guys that rotated in there this year so who knows. Okada probably at one but he's pretty small and more of a nickel.
I think Brown replaces Kassis. Most of the balls to Kassis were deep shots or, slants or screens. He wasn't a typical outside reciever. Perfect for a speedster like Brown. Parker will hopefully end up being the big man on the outside that we can throw 50/50 balls to.

bcatfan1

Post by bcatfan1 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:53 pm

Speed on defense seems like a huge need. (Granted, Troy would have helped that). But our safeties, who have been a strength of the D all season, looked like they were on ice today compared to the NDSU speedsters.

Some people are a lot like slinkies....... Not really good for much, but it puts a smile on your face to watch them fall down a set of stairs.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:47 pm

Weber, EWU, and montana all on the road next season. Gonna be tough to repeat what we did in 2019.
https://msubobcats.com/sports/football/schedule/2020

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:04 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:47 pm
Weber, EWU, and montana all on the road next season. Gonna be tough to repeat what we did in 2019.
If Choate has (re)built what most posters think he has (I.e. a Top 4 program has hat is ready o take the next step to challenge NDSU and JMU) that shouldn’t be much of a problem.

If he hasn’t rebuilt hat, then yes, those road games are going to be really tough.

It should be a good measuring stick.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:29 am

Mitch Brott will be a big loss, but they are definitely equipped to handle it with the way Sessions played down the stretch. So I am most looking forward to a veteran OL paving the way for the combination of Ifanse and Hosey. That's going to be a dangerous combination.

I am also excited about the possibility of a true dual threat under center.

On defense, they need to add a transfer or two at safety and defensive line, but Andersen, Williams, Benson, and O'Reilly are a nice corps to start with in the front seven.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:47 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Yeah the second half of that is a slobber knocker of a schedule isn't it? At least we get a "break" game in between each of those. That'll be a true test of our advancement as a program. If we want a top 4 seed in an 11 game schedule we will need 2 of those 3 games.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:00 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:47 am
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Yeah the second half of that is a slobber knocker of a schedule isn't it? At least we get a "break" game in between each of those. That'll be a true test of our advancement as a program. If we want a top 4 seed in an 11 game schedule we will need 2 of those 3 games.
Plus our bye week is on Halloween the week before EWU so hopefully we can heal up a bit before the last 3 games. It’s also good that for the most part it rotates between home and away games. Traveling 2 weeks in a row adds difficulty.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

nanacat

Post by nanacat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:23 am

onceacat wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:04 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
If Choate has (re)built what most posters think he has (I.e. a Top 4 program has hat is ready o take the next step to challenge NDSU and JMU) that shouldn’t be much of a problem.

If he hasn’t rebuilt hat, then yes, those road games are going to be really tough.

It should be a good measuring stick.
Oh yikes, yes that's a tough schedule compared to this year. But you're right it'll be a great measuring stick to see where this program is truly at. So much to build on after this year, and so many new and returning solid players, it will be an interesting year. I'm a believer, but I guess we'll see.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:47 am

I think Jaden Smith could have a big year as well as Lance McCutheons (sp). Jaharie Martin definitely needs to get moved back to the defensive side of the ball, just my own opinion though. Obviously coaches know more. I just think that kid is a beast and would put a hurt on some people. We really need to get some big time drop downs or JUCO kids for the d-line/safety.

Punters are people too!!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:00 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
We’ll need to win one of those games to go 8-3.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:54 am

Cledus wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:00 am
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Yep, and 2 to get to 9 wins and a top 4 seed. 8-3 prolly has you 6th to unseedeed depending on other teams.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:03 am

We need to be the 2 or 3 seed to get to the opposite side of the bracket from the buffaloes. The big sky championship will come with that. We can beat any other fcs team on the road. We have what we need to do tgat.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:12 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:54 am
Cledus wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:00 am
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Yep, and 2 to get to 9 wins and a top 4 seed. 8-3 prolly has you 6th to unseedeed depending on other teams.
And even though EWU had a down year in 2019, they were still undefeated at home. 2020 wont be easier.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:28 pm

Cledus wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:12 am
And even though EWU had a down year in 2019, they were still undefeated at home. 2020 wont be easier.
The next step for this program is to figure out how to beat EWU more than they beat us. We haven't beaten them in forever. They've been the Big Sky standard for years, this season notwithstanding-but I see that as only a temporary hiccup.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:36 pm

bcatfan1 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:53 pm
Speed on defense seems like a huge need. (Granted, Troy would have helped that). But our safeties, who have been a strength of the D all season, looked like they were on ice today compared to the NDSU speedsters.
We need speed everywhere.