Early Signing Day - Wednesday, Dec 18

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Early Signing Day - Wednesday, Dec 18

Post by coloradocat » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:14 pm

Cledus wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:59 pm
I hope some of these recruits can help us compete better against FBS schools. When I look around and see the FCS beating FBS schools it feels like MSU should be one of them. Aside from SMU and WSU in 2010 we've gotten our asses handed to us since the Colorado win.

If NDSU can beat #21 Iowa, I think we should be able to easily handle any mid major.
We have Wyoming (2021) and Oregon State (2022) coming up. Both look like good opportunities.

We don't play mid majors (they probably don't pay enough and now we're good enough that they'd probably be paying us to beat them). Wyoming is probably a fluke and only scheduled because we're neighbors.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:20 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:04 pm
Pardon my ignorance, but why is everyone so excited by Grebe? Vim can correct me here but I think you had him rated as the #14 recruit in the state, and he must've gone to Prep school to try and field some bigger offers (looks like UMass and Navy came calling)? I mean he doesn't have any star rating in 247 or anything. Beating out Ivys is great no doubt, but I feel like I'm missing something here.
He damn near got a full-ride from Iowa after his prep school season but they couldn't pull the trigger (cowards). I ranked Brody at #14 because I wasn't completely sold his speed would be good enough to compete in the Big Sky or FCS level. Well...he then puts up a ridiculous senior track season where he almost wins five events in, even more impressive, three different athletic categories (speed, jumping, throwing). Rare athletes do this in track and Brody almost pulled it off. For comparison, he beat Troy's senior season in jumping/throwing and was a tick behind him in the speed times in the 100m/200m. Brody then follows that track season up with a phenomenal prep school campaign at Choate Rosemary. He showed his skillset on defense as a pass rusher/tackler and backend cover guy at OLB and safety, respectively. On offense, he played QB mostly out of wildcat formations where he showed off his running ability. After that season, he gets offers by about five Ivy league schools, UMass, and Navy while still holding offers from UM and MSU. He came to the Cat/Griz game where Choate correctly upped Brody's offer to a full (Grebe only got a partial out of high school which is the primary reason why he didn't commit to MSU this past February). Basically, my assessment of him was off (I'm human guys) and he proved to everyone why he was deserving of a full-ride offer for football. Again, Iowa wanted him to walk-on at LB for the Hawkeyes. Iowa isn't LB U but its pretty damn close. He's a great student, great athlete, and wants to be an Engineer. Even better, Brody gives us needed depth and flexibility on defense as either a Brayden Konkol or Josh Hill replacement. If I would've re-ranked the 2019 Montana Recruiting Class post-2019 track season, Brody would've squarely been #2 behind Lonergan. But I'll just live with having Brody at #14 for the next four to five years.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:24 pm

Vim you are the absolute best source for MT recruits! I just couldn't find really any accolades for him outside of your initial ranking, thanks for the update!

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:25 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:20 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but why is everyone so excited by Grebe? Vim can correct me here but I think you had him rated as the #14 recruit in the state, and he must've gone to Prep school to try and field some bigger offers (looks like UMass and Navy came calling)? I mean he doesn't have any star rating in 247 or anything. Beating out Ivys is great no doubt, but I feel like I'm missing something here.
He damn near got a full-ride from Iowa after his prep school season but they couldn't pull the trigger (cowards). I ranked Brody at #14 because I wasn't completely sold his speed would be good enough to compete in the Big Sky or FCS level. Well...he then puts up a ridiculous senior track season where he almost wins five events in, even more impressive, three different athletic categories (speed, jumping, throwing). Rare athletes do this in track and Brody almost pulled it off. For comparison, he beat Troy's senior season in jumping/throwing and was a tick behind him in the speed times in the 100m/200m. Brody then follows that track season up with a phenomenal prep school campaign at Choate Rosemary. He showed his skillset on defense as a pass rusher/tackler and backend cover guy at OLB and safety, respectively. On offense, he played QB mostly out of wildcat formations where he showed off his running ability. After that season, he gets offers by about five Ivy league schools, UMass, and Navy while still holding offers from UM and MSU. He came to the Cat/Griz game where Choate correctly upped Brody's offer to a full (Grebe only got a partial out of high school which is the primary reason why he didn't commit to MSU this past February). Basically, my assessment of him was off (I'm human guys) and he proved to everyone why he was deserving of a full-ride offer for football. Again, Iowa wanted him to walk-on at LB for the Hawkeyes. Iowa isn't LB U but its pretty damn close. He's a great student, great athlete, and wants to be an Engineer. Even better, Brody gives us needed depth and flexibility on defense as either a Brayden Konkol or Josh Hill replacement. If I would've re-ranked the 2019 Montana Recruiting Class post-2019 track season, Brody would've squarely been #2 behind Lonergan. But I'll just live with having Brody at #14 for the next four to five years.
He reminds me of Ryan Tirrell but seems more twitchy. Is that fair or am I underselling Tirrell?

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:25 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Just knowing about his skill and love for basketball, do you know if there's anything in there about him playing basketball for Sprinkle as well? Does anyone even do that anymore?

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:28 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:25 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Just knowing about his skill and love for basketball, do you know if there's anything in there about him playing basketball for Sprinkle as well? Does anyone even do that anymore?
I think he's going to focus on football now. Which is scary. He's yet to focus on a single sport.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:30 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Where does Grebe rank in the 2020 Montana class?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:32 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:24 pm
Vim you are the absolute best source for MT recruits! I just couldn't find really any accolades for him outside of your initial ranking, thanks for the update!
I mean he was All-State in four sports his senior year of high school. On top of football, joined the coveted 2,500 points club in basketball after his senior season (Sprinkle was interested in him). Did everything in track then competed on the rodeo circuit. All while maintaining a 4.0 GPA. That's all the accolades a kid needs out of high school. Simply put, I put too much emphasis on analyzing his speed...my mistake.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:32 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:30 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Where does Grebe rank in the 2020 Montana class?
If he were to be in the 2020 class? Top 3.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:37 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:41 pm
Catsrgrood wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:40 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:36 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:34 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:27 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:25 pm
Lydell wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:15 pm
Just heard... Grebe signs with Cats!!
yep
Boom!
Forgive me for not knowing this, but what position does/will he play for us?
Brayden Konkol replacement.
What are the odds that he’s an immediate replacement?
I know that’s a lot to ask, but is he a kid who’s going to come in and possibly be ready to roll? Or will he need a couple years of development?
Watch this highlight tape and see for yourself. Hell...the kid even moves around like Brayden.

Going to post his track results one more time:
At 6'3", 215 lbs., Brody put up these numbers at State C track this spring:

100M - 11.15 (2nd)
200M - 22.82 (2nd best state time; scratched in finals after setting that time in prelims.)
Shot Put - 51' 7" (1st)
Long Jump - 21' 8.5" (1st)
Triple Jump - 45' 6.75" (1st)

When you place at state in running, jumping, AND throwing events, you are a special athlete.
Is he as long as he looks??? DANG!!!!

Hating the griz since 02.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:40 pm

Grebe reminds me of a guy I played against in High School out of Eureka. Anybody remember Ivan Garvin? He was about 6'3 and could fly, but he was also about a 14 foot pole vaulter, a 6'4 high jumper, and a 50-something foot shot-putter. He went to Army and started (or got significant snaps) as a true freshman at Tailback. Broke his femur if I remember correctly and didn't play again.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:51 pm

@VimSince03 Just curious, how often do MSU and UM offer guys that are obviously going to the FBS just to have a foot in the door in case of an eventual transfer? Looking at MSU offers, I see lots of Pac-12 type FBS schools. Is this just wishful thinking or is there a long-term play involved?

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:54 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:05 pm
HelenaCat95 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:02 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:01 pm
HelenaCat95 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:00 pm
We can almost include Kettels in this class. An OT who signed with us last year, but grayshirted this year due to acl surgery last winter.
I'm not sure if he's still with the program, but I thought he was....and he should have 5 years to play 4 if he grayshirted.
Jacob is absolutely still with the program and will begin school this January. Will be thrown right into the competition at left tackle.
Am I right about the grayshirt rule? Does he indeed still have 5 years to play 4?
Yup. That's the primary difference between a redshirt and greyshirt...you don't lose eligibility. You just can't be with the team or enroll with the school that first fall. Your clock starts the following spring.
so will the Big Timber Ol be a greyshirt too

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:56 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:25 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
He reminds me of Ryan Tirrell but seems more twitchy. Is that fair or am I underselling Tirrell?
When I see those track numbers it reminds me of Adam Cordeiro, but looks like he's probably a bit more into schooling than Adam Was.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:24 pm

Cledus wrote:
I hope some of these recruits can help us compete better against FBS schools. When I look around and see the FCS beating FBS schools it feels like MSU should be one of them. Aside from SMU and WSU in 2010 we've gotten our asses handed to us since the Colorado win.

If NDSU can beat #21 Iowa, I think we should be able to easily handle any mid major.
Somebody's expectations have gotten a little to unrealistic. "Easily handle any mid-major"? Really?

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:33 pm

I could give a sh*t less how MSU does against FBS schools. I hate money games for the injuries they create. See: Troy Andersen.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:34 pm

Reading through the posts I went from bumbed about losing Robinson to Western Kentucky, to HOLY GREBE! Gotta love the in state talent. Suprised, Yes, Excited Yes! Go Cats! Welcome to MSU!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:34 pm

coochorama42 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:33 pm
I could give a sh*t less how MSU does against FBS schools. I hate money games for the injuries they create. See: Troy Andersen.
Troy got dinged up in the SEMO game...am I mistaken?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:42 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:24 pm
Cledus wrote:

Somebody's expectations have gotten a little to unrealistic. "Easily handle any mid-major"? Really?
Beating an FBS program is pretty rare for any FCS program. FCS teams do win every year against FBS teams, but not that often.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... ies-upsets

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:46 pm

@VimSince03, I seem to remember him not playing the 2nd half against TT. I thought things cascaded after that...