10/18 Polls

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSUcantouchus
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

10/18 Polls

Post by MSUcantouchus » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:24 pm

Not that rankings matters that much (except to griz fans) but why are we not ranked a little higher than #23. :? We have lost to the #5 team in the nation and a D-1A team. I realize we are not blowing teams out but we play in the Big Sky where even the bottom feeders are not all that bad. I think Idaho State and Weber were much better than their record indicates. If it was the gizz who lost to Cal Poly and Colorado State they would be sitting in 12th.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:33 pm

I think you answered your own questions when you said:
Not that rankings matters that much (except to griz fans)
Who cares where we are ranked at this time in the year. We can't control that, I think we only need to worry about things that are in our control, and that's how we are ranked at the end of the season.

MSUcantouchus
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSUcantouchus » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:52 pm

Colgate is ranked #18 they have lost to 2 unranked 1-aa schools whose combined record is sub .500. They eaked out a 4 pt. win over 1-4 Cornell, a 2 pt. win over 0-5 Dartmouth, and beat unranked Princeton and 2-4 Georgetown. Some would say our wins were similar but they lost to much worse teams than we did. As I said before we lost to #5 Cal Poly and Colorado State.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:45 pm

Colgate made it to the National Championship game last year - they earned that respect, at least for this season. Same goes for the griz.

We can't honestly be too upset about not being ranked when we have had to squeak out wins against teams that have horrible records. Yes, I think most of us realize those teams are better than their records suggest, but when most of the voters only see the box scores and records, it is hard to hold this one against them. When teams like Georgia Southern are blowing out ranked teams, we can't worry about this too much.

If we take care of our own business, I am confident that we will be happy with where we sit heading into the playoffs. First things first, though...

GO CATS GO!!!

DaGriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by DaGriz » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:02 pm

Not that rankings matters that much (except to griz fans)
...and obviously to you. :D

The polls really don't mean anything, at the end of the year the playoff comittee comes up with the real rankings. Until then it's just speculation, previous team history and bragging rights. Until somebody else goes deep in the playoffs, the rest of I-AA won't give the Big Sky any respect.

theblackgecko
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by theblackgecko » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:43 pm

To some extent, I do believe the polls should reflect the fact that the Cats have been downright Cardiac in their victories. So, it makes sense that most polls have the Cats hovering around 25th place.
But, in terms of win/loss record, and who losses are to, the Cats look real good at this point in the season. If the Cats were to win out (it is possible), one would evaluate the preformance over the season and see that the Cats are deserving of a top 4 seed. However, at this point, the Cats simply haven't impressed the powers that be, and rightfully so. BozoneCat is right on the money, the Cats need to take care of business, and realize that polls won't matter at the end of the season, records and results will.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:19 am

I bet we will shoot up to #17 or so with a win this weekend and sitting at 5-2. Then its onto our last 4 games with 3 being away. These last 4 games are going to show us who we are made of I think. Thank goodness we get EWU at home and UM in the friendly confines of Washington Bobcat Stadium.

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:36 am

How far will you drop if you lose one more game?

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four