Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:50 pm

Western Kentucky...… I mean, yeah, congrats... I guess?

I honestly think that MSU is a better program and a better way for him to stand out on a national stage. Not to mention you get to go to school and live in Bozeman (vs. western Kentucky)……….. sooooo, yeah... congrats and good luck I guess.

bummed to lose this guy, he is a good one.... but what a dumb choice.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:05 pm

Yep that one is a head scratcher. Probably explains why McKay was brought in. Everybody wants to play as a freshman, but especially at the QB position, I think we are good examples of why it is important to let them develop properly and then either as a red-shirt Sophomore or Junior be ready to compete as a starter. I am very happy with our depth at the QB position, it just needed time to sort itself out.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:13 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:05 pm
Yep that one is a head scratcher. Probably explains why McKay was brought in. Everybody wants to play as a freshman, but especially at the QB position, I think we are good examples of why it is important to let them develop properly and then either as a red-shirt Sophomore or Junior be ready to compete as a starter. I am very happy with our depth at the QB position, it just needed time to sort itself out.
Or maybe Robison flipped when he saw McKay coming in. Chicken or egg--doesn't really matter though. When he committed it must have looked like it was going to be easy to get on the field for 4 years. From his perspective it would be easy to see there's some "new" competition from Rovig, McKay, and Mellott. And now that we're seeing an offense that's thriving as a run-first offense, he also might have seen that MSU is pretty happy with 150 yards passing and decided he didn't like that. Of course I'm guessing with all of this.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:17 pm

Robison and McKay don't have anything to do with each other.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:25 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:17 pm
Robison and McKay don't have anything to do with each other.
Recruiting plan was to always get a transfer and freshman at QB.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

ghobs95
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ghobs95 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:26 pm

WKU is graduating their grad transfer QB, and not a deep room behind him. All they have coming back is a couple guys that split a handful of starts in 2018. I'm sure coaches telling him he has a chance to step in and start as a true freshman was the big difference maker.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:57 pm

Not a very competitive attitude. Maybe he's not as much of a loss as I expected.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:05 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:57 pm
Not a very competitive attitude. Maybe he's not as much of a loss as I expected.
Not really something that can be said from an 18 year old changing a major life decision. Let’s not disparage the kid. Probably a great kid with a great opportunity that’s the best fit for him.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:08 pm

tdub wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:05 pm
thefrank1 wrote:
Not really something that can be said from an 18 year old changing a major life decision. Let’s not disparage the kid. Probably a great kid with a great opportunity that’s the best fit for him.
He got a full-ride offer from a 8-4 FBS program that has put quarterbacks into the NFL as recently as 2018 (Mike White). Fun opportunity for him and I wish him luck. Had nothing to do with players in front of him at MSU. That's just nonsense. Coaches were more worried about Washington whisking him away with a PWO offer. Western Kentucky had him in for a visit last weekend and he committed. It happens!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:22 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Just like Bryce Sterk, right?!

Funny how that works...

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:22 pm

Good for him, I hope it works out. No bad intent on my part, just don't think of Western Kentucky as a better situation than MSU, but that is speculation. I always tell kids to do what is best for them and this appears to be what is best. I hope he sees success. We have nice depth at QB.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:44 am

I just saw Western Kentucky beat Western Michigan in a sparsely attended game in the SERVPRO First Responders Bowl. Who wouldn’t want a great opportunity like that?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:19 am

WKU averages about 18,000 at home.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:47 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:19 am
WKU averages about 18,000 at home.
13,164 in a 32,000 seat stadium for their season grand finale bowl game.

I’m more knocking these silly meaningless bowl games rather than WKU.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:30 am

Argh don't bump these kinds of threads and give a guy a glimmer of hope.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:47 am

The Cats could see him again in a year or 2 if things don't pan out (transfer portal).

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:32 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:47 am
The Cats could see him again in a year or 2 if things don't pan out (transfer portal).

After committing and then backing out I don't think he'd be welcome here.

It might be different if he reneged for a chance at U Dub or Oregon. Yet he went with Western Kentucky? I think we've seen the last of this kid. Wish him well and move on.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:34 pm

NorthernPlains wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:32 pm
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:

It might be different if he reneged for a chance at U Dub or Oregon. Yet he went with Western Kentucky? I think we've seen the last of this kid. Wish him well and move on.
100% disagree with the "he wouldn't be welcome here" line. I agree we probably won't ever seen him as a Cat, but it also wouldn't be the first time we lost a kid to an FBS school, only to have them end up transferring to Bozeman later in their career.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:07 pm

I don't see why they would not welcome him back in a year or two unless a younger guy on the roster just takes over. Even then, I bet they would take him for depth. I don't think backing out on the commitment will make any difference to the coaches, just part of the game.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:58 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:34 pm
NorthernPlains wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:32 pm
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:

100% disagree with the "he wouldn't be welcome here" line. I agree we probably won't ever seen him as a Cat, but it also wouldn't be the first time we lost a kid to an FBS school, only to have them end up transferring to Bozeman later in their career.
Yeah, I think he'd be welcomed back if he really wanted to be here, but I can't see too many scenarios where it would make sense. A lot of us think it's almost a lateral move to go there, so it would be somewhat lateral to come back. I mean if the guy isn't good enough to play there, does he really look all that attractive to a (hopefully) strong team at MSU? And if he's killing it, he wouldn't leave. I know there are scenarios where it's a fit or it's not, but I don't see MSU looking at bounce-downs from a place like that.